Whyte e-mtb

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Before falling for the Whyte, I was considering a Trek Rail from Rutland, heavily discounted.
But they only had limited size availability.
Turns out they had fallen out with Trek because of their discounting policy and were no longer an authorized Trek dealer.
I wondered if it was the same case here, between TriUK and Whyte?
Oh really, my mate bought a rail from them beginning of the year.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
These bike manufacturers are fixing prices which is illegal. Pulling someone's supply for discounting is also illegal.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
These bike manufacturers are fixing prices which is illegal. Pulling someone's supply for discounting is also illegal.

It is, but all the bike brands are at it, or they go direct supply only, to control their own prices and maximize margin. They will say they are protecting the brand, or protecting the LBS, but what they are really protecting is margin.

Regarding pulling someones supply, I think the phrase will be.
"We have discontinued our relationship with xxxx by mutual consent"
Yes and if they had any balls they would report it.

Doesnt matter what they say is the reason they cannot refuse to supply and they cannot set prices.

Freeborn have worked out that they can discount and advertise it too but even they do it it a not so blatant way. Funny because I had this very conversation with them 2 years ago and told them how to deal with it. Wonder if they took notice.

Slowrider

Jan 19, 2020
England
Apparently you move the mount down going to check how easy this is in the week but my thoughts exactly just adding a spacer however there is a triangle fitting on top of the battery that secures in place
Simon

I have an e150RS and bought a spare 500w battery. The spare was partly the result of range anxiety (unjustified as it later turned out) and partly to be able to undertake extended day long rides where there was no lunch stop to use a fast charge top-up (possibly a lighter and cheaper option for many).

I have used the 500 without moving the top adjustment screw. Basically you swap out the 625 for the 500, slide it back in, put the plastic protective cover on and off you go. If like me you dont bother to adjust the screw at the top of the downtube the '500' will rattle a bit, especially down steep sections of track. I didn't notice any difference in feel to the bike with the smaller battery. I did consider the 400 but similar weight, cost, size didn't seem such a good buy.

As others have said, the battery changeover on the e150 isn't the quickest (but no longer than mending a puncture). It isn't difficult but requires a bit of practice and care. You can do it 'on the trail' but personally I wouldn't choose to do it in the dark freezing rain with a muddy bike half-way up a mountain. Dont forget your Torx tool.

The '500' is proportionately smaller and lighter - as you would expect - with the result it is easier to carry in a backpack. I adapted a standard existing Osprey backpack I had (by adding a backprotector and bought a padded and waterproof sleeve that would take either the 500 or 625). I haven't 'crashed' with the battery in the backpack - and I am more softie southern trail than tough northern rocky mountain rider - but I am reasonably confident that my setup gives both my back and the battery a good chance of survival. I have carried the spare '500' for rides of up to 30 miles without issue as the weight sits largely on your hips. Obviously when you swap over to carry the 625 that is heavier but hopefully you're heading home at that point and are carrying less water.

My Whyte dealer LBS did a good price on the battery. Being a standard Bosch Powertube they should be in reasonable supply and are widely used in other bikes so might even have some s/h value if you don't use it.

PS Love the Whyte. Bought it in preference to the Levo which was possibly quicker (29er?) but just loved 'the feel' of the 150. Yet to ride the bike in dry conditions....

Duncan

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Simon

I have an e150RS and bought a spare 500w battery. The spare was partly the result of range anxiety (unjustified as it later turned out) and partly to be able to undertake extended day long rides where there was no lunch stop to use a fast charge top-up (possibly a lighter and cheaper option for many).

I have used the 500 without moving the top adjustment screw. Basically you swap out the 625 for the 500, slide it back in, put the plastic protective cover on and off you go. If like me you dont bother to adjust the screw at the top of the downtube the '500' will rattle a bit, especially down steep sections of track. I didn't notice any difference in feel to the bike with the smaller battery. I did consider the 400 but similar weight, cost, size didn't seem such a good buy.

As others have said, the battery changeover on the e150 isn't the quickest (but no longer than mending a puncture). It isn't difficult but requires a bit of practice and care. You can do it 'on the trail' but personally I wouldn't choose to do it in the dark freezing rain with a muddy bike half-way up a mountain. Dont forget your Torx tool.

The '500' is proportionately smaller and lighter - as you would expect - with the result it is easier to carry in a backpack. I adapted a standard existing Osprey backpack I had (by adding a backprotector and bought a padded and waterproof sleeve that would take either the 500 or 625). I haven't 'crashed' with the battery in the backpack - and I am more softie southern trail than tough northern rocky mountain rider - but I am reasonably confident that my setup gives both my back and the battery a good chance of survival. I have carried the spare '500' for rides of up to 30 miles without issue as the weight sits largely on your hips. Obviously when you swap over to carry the 625 that is heavier but hopefully you're heading home at that point and are carrying less water.

My Whyte dealer LBS did a good price on the battery. Being a standard Bosch Powertube they should be in reasonable supply and are widely used in other bikes so might even have some s/h value if you don't use it.

PS Love the Whyte. Bought it in preference to the Levo which was possibly quicker (29er?) but just loved 'the feel' of the 150. Yet to ride the bike in dry conditions....

Duncan
Thanks Duncan brilliant piece of advice nearly there now just trying to get the best deal on the 500 PowerTube £580 pop to now, have swopped the tort bolts for standard Allen key ones for that purpose. thanks for the advice

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
What is everyone talking about with the fuss about changing the battery? You loosen the two screws on the plastic cover and then the battery slides out. 1 minute job.
Just make sure the internal cables are tight inside the frame, so the battery doesnt get stuck on them.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can cut the bars down to whatever you want! Personally I would take it for a ride as is and see how you get on, if you think too wide go down to 780mm - I ride my bars at 760mm, mainly because most of my local trails get overgrown quickly in the summer and longer bars get caught on the foliage too often for me. I wouldn't want to go less than 760mm though as wider bars definitely have a lot of advantages

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Good purchase, strange they've posted it out though, obviously something going on with there whyte dealership I'd say as Whyte don't allow their bikes to be couriered for purchase

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
You got yourself a great deal there enjoy.
I didn't notice the width of the bars, until I cycled to my dad's house, and tried to take the bike down the side, where I used to park my old Marin. Blimey, they are wide.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
What a bike.
24 miles off road yesterday, across Helmsley and Pockley Moor.
This is the terrain right from my front door.
I could have kept going forever, time now becomes the limiting factor.

View attachment 27623

View attachment 27624

Then did the Dalby red route this afternoon.
My bike handling skills left a lot to be desired, but it has been 12 years since I did any serious trails. I fell off on a steep rocky downhill, got complacent and the weight got the better of me, but I will get back on top it pretty quick. No damage.

I could get used to this social distancing. :)

Great pics, I'm jealous you've got that on your doorstep!

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
20200320_153814.jpg

Hamsterley yesterday, she performed perfectly and soaked up everything with aplomb. Pity the rider isn't skilled enough to properly push the bike ?

Dale Pollard

Mar 8, 2020
Loughborough
Simon

Duncan

I was considering a second battery for mine and I may still get one, but I can do 30 miles rides with 4500ft of climbing over Peak District rough terrain on my 625w battery. Im 17st so I use more power than most but I manage the power mode throughout, turning it off on sections that it isnt needed on. Range anxiety is strong though when range says 0 and you still have one more climb! ?

Dale Pollard

Mar 8, 2020
Loughborough
Not sure if I've knackered by rear shock on my E150RS but after 100 miles of rough riding it now seems to make a squishy / air noise when I sit on the bike. I dont remember it doing this before. Is this normal or has something broken? (New to Rockshox, my last fox shock didnt do this).

I've scratched up the bottom of the bike and stripped the plastic off the gear cable which comes out the bottom of the BB. So had to use some 3M tape to give it some protection. Thankfully I purchased some crank arm protectors as these are properly scraped as well. Anybody else having this issue or am I just riding really rough terrain?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I have a creaky seatpost on my E150S, does anyone know if it's a particular post which is rebranded as a Whyte?
I'm just after some instructions to service it really.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
I've scratched up the bottom of the bike and stripped the plastic off the gear cable which comes out the bottom of the BB. So had to use some 3M tape to give it some protection. Thankfully I purchased some crank arm protectors as these are properly scraped as well. Anybody else having this issue or am I just riding really rough terrain?

Im a peak local and I’m about to replace my second rear mech cable for exactly this reason. Bloody annoying. Not sure I can drill out another route without removing the motor. Might whack a slice of old tyre under the bb. Otherwise a mega bike ?

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Cranks are rubbish so wouldn’t worry too much about those. I’m saving up for some Hope ones as I’ve bent 2 right hand ones already.
Re shock, might be a good idea to get that looked at. Whyte are great with warranties.
Re range, 30 miles pretty good tbh.
I got 39 in the peaks mixed eco/trail and I’m 13st.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Brand X appears under many guises! Its rebranded by a lot of companies for use on their own bikes. In fact I dont even think Brand X is the originator of the design

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Brand X appears under many guises! Its rebranded by a lot of companies for use on their own bikes. In fact I dont even think Brand X is the originator of the design
Aren't they just re-branded trans-x. In mainland europe we have trans-x rather than brand-x.

Which is actually JD Components of Taiwan ?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I wouldn't take our word for it.
I would only source any service kit or replacement cartridge through Whyte to ensure correct.
Best of luck

Yeah, I emailed Whyte a bit ago but no response as of yet. I'm guessing they're locked down like the rest of us.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles