Whyte e-mtb

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looking at getting a 500 wh second battery to carry on long rides anyone else done this just not to sure as it is a bit shorter than the 625 have asked dealer and Whyte but have had no response as yet.

I think with the bosch 500/625 you can swap them, but the way the battery is locked into position means it's not really a trailside job to move the mounting bracket. It attaches to two different points in the frame, depending which battery it is.

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
I think with the bosch 500/625 you can swap them, but the way the battery is locked into position means it's not really a trailside job to move the mounting bracket. It attaches to two different points in the frame, depending which battery it is.
Thanks have swooped our on trail with another 625 would you use the upper of the 2 bottom holes for a 500 if that is the case then how would you attach the outer cover or is there a bracket at the top of the bar as well would look but bike is in for a service thanks for your response and help

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks have swooped our on trail with another 625 would you use the upper of the 2 bottom holes for a 500 if that is the case then how would you attach the outer cover or is there a bracket at the top of the bar as well would look but bike is in for a service thanks for your response and help

Not sure how that would attach on the Whyte, presumably the same as the others or have they done something different ?

From @Akiwi on a cube :

Technical Question about Bosch 625 power tube vs 500 w technical size - EMTB Forums

@Doomanic didn't you do a post on the 500w/625w or was that just showing the spacer on the Trek ? Sorry, getting senile .. :)

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
In October 2019, when I collected my Whyte, the shop mechanic showed me how to remove the battery (not that I have done so far) and he showed me the lower position bolt hole in the frame tube where you could re-position the battery top mount if you bought the 500 wh battery, although he said the 500 battery was not yet for sale.
I agree it doesn't sound like an easy trail side swap, simpler to have another 625wh, but at what price!

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
In October 2019, when I collected my Whyte, the shop mechanic showed me how to remove the battery (not that I have done so far) and he showed me the lower position bolt hole in the frame tube where you could re-position the battery top mount if you bought the 500 wh battery, although he said the 500 battery was not yet for sale.
I agree it doesn't sound like an easy trail side swap, simpler to have another 625wh, but at what price!
Thanks need to go and investigate further not only the price of a 625 but also the weight £200 more expensive and 800 gram heavier. Need to take a proper look
thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks need to go and investigate further not only the price of a 625 but also the weight £200 more expensive and 800 gram heavier. Need to take a proper look
thanks
I wonder if it's possible to just attach a spacer to the end of the 500wh battery, so it's the same dimensions as the 625, then it would just clip in using the mounts in the same place ??

Trek Parts Diagrams - EMTB Forums

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Apparently you move the mount down going to check how easy this is in the week but my thoughts exactly just adding a spacer however there is a triangle fitting on top of the battery that secures in place

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are two fixing points for it in the down tube IIRC, one for each battery size.

When I was looking at the Whyte, is seemed to me that changing batteries over easily was not a quick operation, or something I would want to do that often as the wiring set up in the down tube doesn't look like it would handle doing this too often. I pretty much dissembled the bike in the shop to get a good look at how that battery set up worked.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
When I was looking at the Whyte, is seemed to me that changing batteries over easily was not a quick operation, or something I would want to do that often as the wiring set up in the down tube doesn't look like it would handle doing this too often.
Agreed. The Whyte tech really struggled with a battery swap on the Demo Day at FoD last year. It looks to be a right ballache.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
I’ve taken my battery out once in 500ish km. it’s a pain in the backside. No way I would want to be doing it in a dark muddy and wet car park. In a work stand it’s easy enough. If I wanted to swap batteries frequently this would be a deal breaker for me.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It was a deal breaker for me as I cant charge the bikes where I keep them, frustrating as its the best bike of the 2020 models I have tried.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
It was a deal breaker for me as I cant charge the bikes where I keep them, frustrating as its the best bike of the 2020 models I have tried.

Agreed. It would have been for me too, except I knew I could charge where I store the bike, and I am very unlikely to need to remove the battery, so I bought one.

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
I am new to this forum and thanks for all the invaluable information in this thread.

Decided emtb is the way to go so have my eye on the Whyte so far.

What’s the crack here? Sounds too good to be true ?
A new E-150 S for £3,325, looks like they only have limited size availability, but would suit me fine.
Whyte E-150 S 2020, £3,325.00

Looks to me like they are clearing out their entire Whyte stock, are they no longer a Whyte dealer?

I am all for supporting my local bike shop, and appreciate service and warranty issues might prove a headache buying on-line, but a saving of over a grand on the best price I have been quoted elsewhere. I can do a lot with a grand.

Worth a punt?

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
I am new to this forum and thanks for all the invaluable information in this thread.

Decided emtb is the way to go so have my eye on the Whyte so far.

What’s the crack here? Sounds too good to be true ?
A new E-150 S for £3,325, looks like they only have limited size availability, but would suit me fine.
Whyte E-150 S 2020, £3,325.00

Looks to me like they are clearing out their entire Whyte stock, are they no longer a Whyte dealer?

I am all for supporting my local bike shop, and appreciate service and warranty issues might prove a headache buying on-line, but a saving of over a grand on the best price I have been quoted elsewhere. I can do a lot with a grand.

Worth a punt?

Wow, if that was me and it was my size I would have snapped their hand off at that. Just call them and pick it up/pay if you can?

My only worry would be the bike turning up if done online - that seems too good to be true.

It must be near enough the shop cost price, or a typo

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Someone else on here ordered one from them not too long ago.
They seem a reputable company with several physical shops about.
I was very tempted myself but I wanted the e180 which they didn't have.
Incidentally, I bought my e180 from Rutland cycles heavily discounted too.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Wow, if that was me and it was my size I would have snapped their hand off at that. Just call them and pick it up/pay if you can?

My only worry would be the bike turning up if done online - that seems too good to be true.

It must be near enough the shop cost price, or a typo

Nah, shops make a healthy Mark up on bikes don't worry, I used to work in a giant shop and saw there cost prices.
Not that I'm begrudging that, I always buy from shops as I'd like to make sure there still a viable option in the next 5 years

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
It's not just Whytes, they are discounting across their stock.

Looks more like a pre-closing down sale, than just shedding a brand.

If you've found the bike you want, this looks like the time to buy, although you might not have this LBS as back-up later. £1575 off the RS model!!

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
It's not just Whytes, they are discounting across their stock.

Looks more like a pre-closing down sale, than just shedding a brand.

If you've found the bike you want, this looks like the time to buy, although you might not have this LBS as back-up later. £1575 off the RS model!!

Ah when I was looking it was just the whyte they had on offer a month ago.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Just shows the margin on these bikes.

Could also be panic in the market. Who's buying luxury items like this when the global economy is tanking.

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
Before falling for the Whyte, I was considering a Trek Rail from Rutland, heavily discounted.
But they only had limited size availability.
Turns out they had fallen out with Trek because of their discounting policy and were no longer an authorized Trek dealer.
I wondered if it was the same case here, between TriUK and Whyte?

I would have thought this as well. Surely Whyte would not be happy about people offering that level of discount publicly? It sort of devalues their product doesn't it.

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
Does it devalue the product?

mmmm.... :unsure:

Desirability blurs consumers perception of value.

The practice of Retail Price Maintenance is rife across retail, especially at the higher end of the market where that desirability blurs the consumers perception of value.
The Consumer and Markets Authority turn a blind eye to the practice to protect the High Street. And you can see both sides to it, but the CMA are hardly worried about protecting the rights of the well healed consumer with disposable income to drop on desirable luxuries like emtb.

Does it devalue the product?

No idea. :confused:

It's a really nice bike

Well if it doesn't devalue the product, I am pretty sure it creates Whyte a headache when their other dealers start seeing other places churning them out so cheap.

Race to the bottom?

Either way, if I was in the market, I would be looking at this!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles