Whyte e-mtb

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Well I rode one around a car park today and it felt fine. Never ridden ebike before so didnt know what to expect. The power is addictive and I can tell why people like them. The boost to 25kph on any terrain makes the sport fun in new ways I'm guessing.

I'm torn between the YT and this bike. £4300 for full carbon and fox36 elite and X2 is hard to beat. In theory it is more a e180 competitor which at £5750 is a big difference in cost. It's also easy to delimit and run in usa mode for 32kph with full reliability.

I was waiting on a whyte in US but got tired of waiting was supposed to be here in fall.. now late spring?

Anyway, just bought the new yt decoy 29 base which is a really good spec for base and is only 3,412.06 pounds according to my conversion. That would be more apples to apples to whyte 150. Have you checked the new decoy 29?

Honestly bees researching bikes forever and this might be best spec for price I’ve seen. Shimano Slx is solid and Yari rc and be made into a lyrik very easily. I’m just going to run with stock for awhile then Replace rear shock first.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Well I rode one around a car park today and it felt fine. Never ridden ebike before so didnt know what to expect. The power is addictive and I can tell why people like them. The boost to 25kph on any terrain makes the sport fun in new ways I'm guessing.

I'm torn between the YT and this bike. £4300 for full carbon and fox36 elite and X2 is hard to beat. In theory it is more a e180 competitor which at £5750 is a big difference in cost. It's also easy to delimit and run in usa mode for 32kph with full reliability.

I was waiting on a whyte in US but got tired of waiting was supposed to be here in fall.. now late spring?

Anyway, just bought the new yt decoy 29 base which is a really good spec for base and is only 3,412.06 pounds according to my conversion. That would be more apples to apples to whyte 150. Have you checked the new decoy 29?

Honestly bees researching bikes forever and this might be best spec for price I’ve seen. Shimano Slx is solid and Yari rc and be made into a lyrik very easily. I’m just going to run with stock for awhile then Replace rear shock first.
£3600. Certainly good value. £700 more gets fox elite and the float X2 plus full carbon frame. In worried that if I go base I'll regret it later on.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
£3600. Certainly good value. £700 more gets fox elite and the float X2 plus full carbon frame. In worried that if I go base I'll regret it later on.
totally but the mullet decoy is more an enduro/bike park bike from what I gather.. you can still ride it trail etc. most of my riding is “aggressive trail” I guess you would call it so that’s why I went 29. Also just don’t like mullet concept for whatever reason.

Also base level stuff is really good these days... that’s why I passed on 29 pro.. I’ll just upgrade a few things over time. Really want a coil fork.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have yet to see a 180 in the flesh yet, though my local dealer is supposed to be getting a demo one in any day now

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Here’s mine. First pic looking down to Mam Tor. Second is the result of a big rock step down. Had to replace the rear mech cable ? I know plenty of people commented about the poor cable routing.

EBB04F03-356A-40E3-A1DF-556890C19978.jpeg

9574EC14-5914-4883-8739-4525352ACC57.jpeg

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
I thought it was the brake hose and speed sensor cable that got moved? ? Will double check with my LBS. not sure where the rear mech cable could get moved to unless I run it out past the motor casing.

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
Thought there was meant to be a dealer fix for that. Had mine done in Sept on my 150

Doesnt the dealer fix still route the brake cable out from the bottom?
I did my own fix and pulled all the cables out from the big hole in the back, much better.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Doesnt the dealer fix still route the brake cable out from the bottom?
I did my own fix and pulled all the cables out from the big hole in the back, much better.

My dealer pulled the magnet sensor cable out of the side of the motor cover, after a notch was trimmed out.

So you've pulled the rear mech cable out of the rubberised hole with the rear brake hose?
e150RS BBcables2.jpg
Is this just a motor cover off job, or drop the motor out?

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Mine looks like yours Tribey. If I crush the gear cable again I’ll try and drag it though the same grommet as the brake hose. I’m going to bang a slice of an old tyre under there for the time being to soften a blow.

Other than that the bike is awesome ?

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
My dealer pulled the magnet sensor cable out of the side of the motor cover, after a notch was trimmed out.

So you've pulled the rear mech cable out of the rubberised hole with the rear brake hose? View attachment 26973 Is this just a motor cover off job, or drop the motor out?

I don't understand that "fix". The brake hose is still routed under and will not hold up for many rides. I removed the rubber housing complete and pulled all cables out from that hole. Removed the motor, but it's a quick job.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
I've ridden one. It was gooood.

I rode all of the ebikes that were at the JE James demo day last weekend.
I went there with every intention to buy an Orbea wild fs that I had lined up. I rode it and was happy with it, but when I rode the whyte e150s, oh wow, what a bike.
Then I rode the e 180rs ?
What a machine!
Can not wait to get it out on the trials!

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
Have anyone ridden the Merida eOne-Sixty and can compare it with the E-150 regarding playfullness? I had a Merida before and remember it as more playful. But it had 25 mm shorter reach then the E-150, so can be that.

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
And funnily enough, I went to go ride the Levo. And it wouldn't switch on! The fella said that they've had 3 breakdowns during the day, not surprisingly

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
I've ridden the Levo as well. Don't understand the hype. Super long chainstays and super boring to ride.

I think the Merida has been the most fun bike to ride, but the Whyte is the fastest.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
The whyte is a nice bike but the spec is shit for money. I'm no fan of alu frame either

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
The whyte is a nice bike but the spec is shit for money. I'm no fan of alu frame either

I believe the Whyte is good value for the money. What do you think is better except direct sales brands?
How can you beat the radon with local support and direct sales?

£5250 for the RS isnt cheap and the spec is average at best.

Whyte is 27.5 though and geo is nice but value is poor and local shops are not always good either.

No carbon frame is bad value.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I was out riding with a chap on a Levo last month, who looked at my e150-RS and the components and stated he was surprised at how good the spec was, as he hadn't seen any reviews.
Apart from one recent article in MBR and one YouTube video review, theres not much publicity out there.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
I was out riding with a chap on a Levo last month, who looked at my e150-RS and the components and stated he was surprised at how good the spec was, as he hadn't seen any reviews.
Apart from one recent article in MBR and one YouTube video review, theres not much publicity out there.
Compared to the levo it's great. Levo couldn't be worse value in terms of spec.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Clearly I disagree with fx1 as I spent my hard earned cash on one ? fortunately there is something out there for everyone ?
spec is decent as far as I am concerned, nothing is holding the e180 back and nothing is on the “upgrade before it leaves the shop“ list. I’ve just set up my shocks and spanked it from day 1 ?

I get what you are saying about the alu frame. Let me tell you it’s a breath of fresh air whacking the frame/rims on a rock and shrugging it off. My other bike is an evil insurgent on sixth element wheels. I always wince when something clatters against that ??

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
How can you beat the radon with local support and direct sales?

£5250 for the RS isnt cheap and the spec is average at best.

Whyte is 27.5 though and geo is nice but value is poor and local shops are not always good either.

No carbon frame is bad value.

Radon is a direct sales brand though? Seems to be only sold through bike discount

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Clearly I disagree with fx1 as I spent my hard earned cash on one ? fortunately there is something out there for everyone ?
spec is decent as far as I am concerned, nothing is holding the e180 back and nothing is on the “upgrade before it leaves the shop“ list. I’ve just set up my shocks and spanked it from day 1 ?

I get what you are saying about the alu frame. Let me tell you it’s a breath of fresh air whacking the frame/rims on a rock and shrugging it off. My other bike is an evil insurgent on sixth element wheels. I always wince when something clatters against that ??

Haha same here, my other bike is a yeti sb6c, I've cracked the frame twice now and always have a check when I wash the frame

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles