Why so much difference???

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Unless I'm missing something there is so many new EMTBs coming out all the time now and the prices VARY soooo much. But around the £1.8k mark to £3.2k mark there is so much difference in components and yet can for the same price. This is my example and correct me if I'm wrong but a bike like this

Wiggle | Vitus E-Sentier VR Hardtail E-Bike - SLX 1x11 | Electric Mountain Bikes

Is so better specced than:

Specialized Levo HT 29er 2019 | Tredz Bikes

I know the Vitus only had 1 left and is on sale. But it's been on sale for a while now and had all sizes in to start with. Theirs so many examples of bikes for around the same price bit the components and motor are drastically differnt.It's like when I see a nice e bike hardtail for 2.5k and read into it and it's got a 400wh battery and yet bikes for 1.5k come with 504wh Shimano steps systems. Really confusing me the pricing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can spend more than either on a pair of shoes?

Crazy. But true.

Probably stop overthinking it.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
You can spend more than either on a pair of shoes?

Crazy. But true.

Probably stop overthinking it.

I don't think it's overthinking it. If you had a supermarkets smart price tin of beans selling for £1 and Heinz beans selling for 60p. You would be asking the question why is the one that's been made cheaper more or equal the price. Just an obvious question to ask.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Would it blow your mind if I were to tell you the two frames were built in the same factory as well ?

You are overthinking it massively. It is what it is.
Because..

Reasons!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Would it blow your mind if I were to tell you the two frames were built in the same factory as well ?

Because..

Reasons!

Because..

Reasons!
I can't stop though Gary!!! It makes no sense!! My head hurts....

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
You say it’s a better spec but you have to in this case build in brand value.
Also one has integrated battery where as the other is external.
If the two frames where the same I’d see the point.

Think if you look at the major brands they are mainly in line, most ebikes seem to start with a Recon as a base fork and work up, then it depends if they do a Shimano or Sram build.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Some reasons Spec are more expensive - Generous warranty support, network of dealers with fixed costs who all need to take a cut, higher R&D costs (because of where it's done and because they use fewer off the shelf components), have spent years promoting themselves as a premium brand (with prices to match) and want to stay there where margins and brand loyalty are higher. The reasons Canyon, Vitus et al are cheaper are basically the opposites of these.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...Think if you look at the major brands they are mainly in line, most ebikes seem to start with a Recon as a base fork and work up, then it depends if they do a Shimano or Sram build.
...except with the new Levo the base model only comes with a Sektor - I'm sorry, that really is a joke on a £5k bike. Sektors are not going to be up to even mild riding on a heavy ebike - in general they are specced on £500-750 analog hard tails.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I was going off 2018 builds which I mainly looked at before buying, they must think they can get away with it and must think the money is in the frame.
I wouldn’t buy a bike with that fork unless I got a end of year blow out price which freed up money for a decent fork.Be interesting to see if people fall for it or if it’s used to push people to the next level.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sectors are basically a 2008 PIKE... I've bent and broken (lowers, steerers and CSUs) many OG PIKEs over the past 10 years in big crashes/cases but I can assure you that chassis is upto the abuse most Levo riders will dish out especially now they're a tapered steerer fork.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
My thinking is it's easier and more fun to upgrade parts than frame, so I'd not be that bothered about base spec. From memory, spent more on upgrading my full sus than on the bike in the first place :) Ride till it dies then replace with posher bits. That's increased with e-bikes. Have not ridden a bike with Sektor forks, but have ridden other low end RS and can't say the performance was especially poor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles