Tubeless, How much is too much!?

nigefox

Feb 1, 2022
West Mids
Hi all
I'm writing this too late in essence but ive just been skimming through some other threads and it got me thinking.
I'm not new to the whole tubeless thing, have been running sealant in my tyres for a while on previous bikes but recently converted the e160 to tubeless and i'm wondering if ive inadvertently created a potential problem for myself?
The Whyte runs on 27.5 x 2.6 maxxis tyres. Ive had good results from MucOff tubeless products till now so picked up a kit and cracked on. When it came to adding the sealant though i hesitated.
On my previous bike i used somewhere around or just over 3/4 of the 120ml packet of sealant based on the wheel / tyres sizing, pressure run and overall weight of the bike and me riding it. With the ebike i chose to whack the whole pouch into the tyre, working on the basis that the additional weight of the bike etc. would benefit from more sealant.
Is there such a thing as too much sealant? Am i over thinking it? Do i just stop thinking and get riding?
Welcome anyone's thoughts, comments, p155 taking etc... ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anywhere between 90-120ml sounds about right for your tyre size.
Generally use a little more if it's the tyres first tubeless set upo ie. no residual sealant already inside the tyre
MucOff's sealant isn't great. You'll find something latex based like Stans/Orange seal performs way better at actually sealing holes
Far too much sealant will be noticable sloshing around in your tyres and can make the handling wierd. But 120ml isn't far too much.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Is there such a thing as too much sealant? Am i over thinking it? Do i just stop thinking and get riding?

I usually squirt in about 60 ml on a new tire. It will need to be topped off once or twice over the life of the tire. Adding more, but that would be a waste if I decided to pull the tire early.

The one thing that folks sometimes neglect is periodically checking that there's still sealant in the tire. I like to put the valve stem at six o'clock, and then tap the presta valve while hitting the tire with my palm. If no sealant, or only a little mists out of the valve, then the level is getting low.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
anywhere between 90-120ml sounds about right for your tyre size.
Generally use a little more if it's the tyres first tubeless set upo ie. no residual sealant already inside the tyre
MucOff's sealant isn't great. You'll find something latex based like Stans/Orange seal performs way better at actually sealing holes
Far too much sealant will be noticable sloshing around in your tyres and can make the handling wierd. But 120ml isn't far too much.
I tried MucOff on my gravel bike. It never sealed a small hole from a thorn. Back to Stans for me.

nigefox

Feb 1, 2022
West Mids
I usually squirt in about 60 ml on a new tire. It will need to be topped off once or twice over the life of the tire. Adding more, but that would be a waste if I decided to pull the tire early.

The one thing that folks sometimes neglect is periodically checking that there's still sealant in the tire. I like to put the valve stem at six o'clock, and then tap the presta valve while hitting the tire with my palm. If no sealant, or only a little mists out of the valve, then the level is getting low.
Good tip, thanks (y)
I have noticed a little squirt of sealant when adding some air to the tyres which i what made me think there was too much.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I found that mucoff seals better then Stan's but makes a mess if the hole is big enough, whereas I found Stan's takes a bit longer to seal the hole if it's bigger (still works well) then the usual thorn hole, I have literally spent hours cleaning mucoff latex from my bike whereas the Stan's just simply wipes off even days later.
also has ruined shorts and a shirt... and my Camelbak needed scrubbing

View attachment 85756

View attachment 85757

View attachment 85758
How has that happened??

I’ve ripped tyres apart and never seen anything like that amount of mess 😳

You putting tonnes in or running massively high pressures?

I’ve got some muck off to try, but generally use stans or orange. Never seen anything like that though

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
the bike was only 6 weeks old,the dealer converted it to tubeless I think they put in 90ml?? i run 30 psi, it was a small gash, spent the afternoon cleaning it.... stans just wipes off even days later..very annoying.

mad that, maybe I’ll leave the muck off on the shelf lol

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
the bike was only 6 weeks old,the dealer converted it to tubeless I think they put in 90ml?? i run 30 psi, it was a small gash, spent the afternoon cleaning it.... stans just wipes off even days later..very annoying.
30 psi??? Wow, doesn’t that just ping off everything? Why so incredibly high?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
last time Sam had a puncture with stans in it, the hole didnt seal at all, just constantly sprayed out until it was all gone. muc off is messy AF but at least its worked for me.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
i

I sometimes ride without the motor turned off so it's easier to pedal, plus for my weight that's what specialized recommendeds so I just go with that..it would not have helped with the mess I'm sure. 🤔
I run 28/32 or 30/34 F/R depending on time of year. can be a little skittish in summer but great in winter when the tyre can dig right in, also stops that horrible feeling of the sidewalls flexing.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
it certainly works. I was just sick of cleaning it off the bike, even a small amount, I even used tannus inserts for a while to eliminate using sealant, but my inserts were the very first generation and flattened out within weeks then I became puncture prone, went back to tubeless intentionally used stans and haven't looked back.
I am with you on the mess, its a pain even if you have to pop the bead off the tyre in the workshop for any reason, the stuff gets everywhere.
the stans sealant in Sams bike was nearly new, I still have the rest of the bottle of it but moved to muc off because it didnt seal the one and only puncture we had using it, I wonder why?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I run 28/32 or 30/34 F/R depending on time of year. can be a little skittish in summer but great in winter when the tyre can dig right in, also stops that horrible feeling of the sidewalls flexing.
It's incredible how preferences vary! I run 19/21 F/R year round and use RimPact inserts to eliminate that flex feeling. Huge grip, and the lower pressure really helps eliminate chatter and makes the wheels roll really well over rough stuff. I hate the overinflated skitters feeling, especially on bike park trails.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It's incredible how preferences vary! I run 19/21 F/R year round and use RimPact inserts to eliminate that flex feeling. Huge grip, and the lower pressure really helps eliminate chatter and makes the wheels roll really well over rough stuff. I hate the overinflated skitters feeling, especially on bike park trails.

I guess tyre pressure depends on the weight of the rider too. If I ran 19 psi I’d literally be riding on my rims with the rubber bulging out of each side much like my belly fat :)

Anyway I’m going off topic. Muc-off sealant works for me but never had that pink high-pressure shower mess like Levo19 suffered

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
yea I must get around to trying inserts cos I would prefer to run lower pressures.. although 24/28 has been the limit for me in the past with my weight and the stuff I ride

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I reckon the bike shop missed the 'm' of 'ml' when they were checking how much should go in 😂 😂 .
I run my 27 2.8 bontragers tubeless at 30 - 35psi with no problem at all. I weigh 13st / 85kilos and am really happy with the performance except for the tubeless thing. I've had a lifetime without tubeless with the odd puncture which slime has usually handled. After having my ride interrupted by a torn nobble yesterday I'm looking at swapping both tyres to something more decent, maybe magic mary on the front and hans dampf on the rear with slime tubes. Also looking at reducing profile from 2.8 to something less expensive but concerned I may be buying cheaper, buying twice (and the second time more expensive anyway 🙈 ). I've no idea what the bike will perform like on narrower tyres and although I love the '2.8 experience' I can't say my technical skills are pushing anywhere near the limitations of the bike or tyres.
Here goes..... (just invented a word I think - de-tubelessing )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles