How much stans is right

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Says 90-120ml (in very small print) on the bottle but only mentions width not diameter but adding extra won't hurt as far as I know.
Did you check their web site?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
No I was too lazy? it’s far easier getting a sensible tried tested advice off here
Cheers dude ??

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
That's for up to a 2.5" tyre so add some more. When I did mine I thought it didn't look a lot so add about another 30-40ml.
My tyre still went down the other day though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
if it helps 120ml is about right for a Maxxis 2.5.
Remember to add some in a few months as it dries out over time

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i filled in 250ml and didn't check it the whole season and it still seals :cool:
Do you not feel it sloshing about when riding?
I hated the feel of too much stans sloshing about in the bottom of DH tyres when I first experimenting with it. (might have been even more than 250ml TBF)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And don't forget it all adds rotating weight, which is weight in the worst place. Or does a big motor mean that weight no longer matters? Still waiting on my eBike.

On my regular clockwork bike, I add 80 ml to my 27.5 x 2.2 tyres at the start. I get loads of punctures (but no flats), so I check my pressures before every ride and check for damp patches on the tyres. If I observe the amount I need to top up the pressure is slowly increasing, I add more sealant.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And don't forget it all adds rotating weight, which is weight in the worst place. Or does a big motor mean that weight no longer matters? Still waiting on my eBike.
A motor makes acceleration of heavy rotating weight easier. (a 50lb Ebike still doesn't accelerate as well as a nice light regular bike though given a decently powerful rider). Lighter wheels do however mean they will change direction easier and the bike's suspension will do it's job better due to the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Do you not feel it sloshing about when riding?
I hated the feel of too much stans sloshing about in the bottom of DH tyres when I first experimenting with it. (might have been even more than 250ml TBF)

No i don't hear or feel anything from that fluid. And i do have 250ml (or more) in my unmotorized enduro bike as well. Since i'm a heavy (and strooong ^^) guy and tend to break the light stuff, i put on heavy DH rims and the heaviest tyres, so i don't care about some grams more or less from the sealant.
On the double-the-weight Kenevo i care even less, i just enjoy riding and not so much enjoy checking the sealant every couple weeks :cool:

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not entirely convinced sticking twice the amount of stans in is any guarantee it won't still ball up and need topping up/cleared out almost as regularly. Having had it do exactly that on a DH bike (loads more sealant because of using non tubeless Dual ply tyres).

Your bike sounds like a monster. If you don't mind me asking, what does it weigh?

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
Thorns have literally been the thorns in my side this year so finally converted my Magic Marys 2.6 to tubeless this evening - 2oz Stans in each wheel .. fitting went really easy utilising 160 psi from the compressed air vessel from a dog trainers 'Dummy launcher'. Out of interest what tubeless air tank inflators are you guys using.. ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
60ml per inch of Tyre width. And add 30ml extra to a brand new seal up.
So a brand new seal up of a 27.5x 2.8 would be 2.8 x 60 = 168ml + 30 = 198ml
But i’d Chuck in 200ml or about 170ml if the Tyre was previously sealed but had just dried out.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
All sorted now guys thanks for all the imput it is well appreciated. ??
It’s the First time for me installing tubeless and I’ve got to say it was a lot easier than I thought
It took about 20mins from stripping old tubeless tyres cleaning rims and installing new tyres ??

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I just went tubeless yesterday. I took it for spin today and I'm sure it feels much lighter than running tubes, it just seams to turn easier. I put 250ml in 2.8 minions.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I just went tubeless yesterday. I took it for spin today and I'm sure it feels much lighter than running tubes, it just seams to turn easier. I put 250ml in 2.8 minions.
The standard tubes used in the 2018 Levo with 27.5x2.8 weighed 300grams each.
Seems with 250ml you may of saved 50grams each end.

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
Thought i would fire an enquiry through to Stans. They promptly replied stating that with 2.6 tires they were finding that 3oz (85ml approx) is a great starting point and pointed out that some of the sealant would be used up with the first set up .After sealed the sealant should last for 2 - 6 months .

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thought i would fire an enquiry through to Stans. They promptly replied stating that with 2.6 tires they were finding that 3oz (85ml approx) is a great starting point and pointed out that some of the sealant would be used up with the first set up .After sealed the sealant should last for 2 - 6 months .
Thanks for the info
I use about twice that amount, but i’m In a hot climate and it tends to dry out quicker. I find I usually don’t have to re add before the tyre wears out.
I also add an extra 30ml to a new seal up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles