How much water is too much?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ls it okay to ride my Ebike (Kona with the E8000 motor) when it's wet?

l went out yesterday and it was dry. However while l was out the rain came down and l was riding through a lot of standing water, which resulted in the motor being sprayed with water from the front wheel.

Will the E8000 cope with this? l know it probably should, but l don't want to end up with a motor failure because it's taking months to get warranty repairs at the moment.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If we didn’t ride our bikes in Yorkshire when it’s raining then that would limit our riding days to about 30 days of the year!

Torrential heavy rain all weekend Bosch motor survived ok, again

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
It sounds like you had the same storm as here in the Peak District

When half way through a ride your "waterproof MTB shoes" are actually full of water, you know it's not going to end well.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It sounds like you had the same storm as here in the Peak District

Yes it absolutely p!$$ed it down! Got caught in it twice, both Saturday and Sunday. Luckily I had a change of clothes with me so stripped off, dried and drove home ok. My partner wasn’t so prepared. She had to sit in the passenger seat in her underwear with a towel wrapped around her 😆

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
That's good to hear. Mine's on 2,000 miles since March, and l generally ride through the Winter.

There has to be something to look forward to!!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
its not about volume of water............its about pressure of water. The exceptions to that are exposed ( relative) electrical connections such as the charger point. That needs to be well sealed.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
IMG-20211031-WA0019.jpg

Bit wet in the Lakes at the weekend

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
I've got 2 full seasons on my current e8000 motor. Wet from splashing and drenching rain has been no issue. With that said, I've refrained from submerging the current one but the first motor saw more than 1 trip where it was under water for a 50m stretch. It did not like that hence motor #2.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve had a few river crossings and one nasty-fast water crossing. Used the bike as a tripod and had a hiker watch me…just in case.
In the past couple of years I’ve never had an electrical issue with water. The LBS assured me that water submersion was not a problem with this motor (Bosch gen4). Dialectical grease on the electrical motor seals only lessens my hydro-anxiety.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles