Body armour, so much choice

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I normally wear the TLD over a really light top, or yes it does weld itself to you and in my case chaffes nipples -
There are protectors for that region readily available. and cheap to purchase

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 12.33.01 PM.png

Just saying......

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I know it's wrong to say, but you're a lot more attractive than I imagined ;-)

@High Rock Ruti is/was a big user/abuser of that Forcefield setup (I did try another Forcefield setup, but it was bulky, hot and crap for MTB - but their communication was great).

I can't remember why I never bought one.. weight .. heat ? I know I didn't like the central chest zip. That reduced the chest effectiveness (having fractured the Sternum a few weeks back .. unarmoured .. that would have been ineffective there) but there is not perfect, only compromises.

It's heavy, it's too warm to wear unless you're doing uplifts but the padding does overlap under the zip. It's obviously not as thick there but you'd need to land on a spike for it not to protect. The majority of it is like an inch thick of padding and Kevlar.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Just to throw one more out there...
This is what I wear😂
Only on uplift days - antur stiniog, revs, bpw, Llangollen etc. It's saved me several times. Everything is the highest spec CE2 or better and the coverage is immense.
I use my own elbow pads though.
It fits under a jersey as well, doesn't look too bulky believe it or not😂

View attachment 125180 View attachment 125181 View attachment 125182 View attachment 125183
High Rock Ruti)

I wore this yesterday, but I forgot to crash. This can be worn up to about 83 degree F lower temperatures the breezes just blows through, the best upper I've experienced. Crashing the forcefield is a bit mind bending, the protection is "hard shell good", very durable. I have the POC mesh jacket, on my second, (as a gift). The POC is really comfortable, but 70 degrees F, or it's too hot. POC jacket tears easily, armor works well says in place, but not hard shell good. I have a pair of POC hard shell shin/knee (discontinued) utterly fantastic, but found these a dorky, inexpensive replacements.

Hard Shell all day long! As Devo sings "I'm through being cool"

Warm Regards Ruti

71IgxSvNQbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
High Rock Ruti)

This can be worn up to about 83 degree F lower temperatures the breezes just blows through, the best upper I've experienced. Crashing the forcefield is a bit mind bending, the protection is "hard shell good", very durable.

I'd agree with this, 28c was probably that temp when I was wearing it at stin. Boiling hot day but bearable.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got Fox Titan Sport for park days and RaceFace Flank for more general use.
Here's an arty pic of me at Dyfi...
3c8be717-285f-4a87-be4e-485f3d65a841.jpeg

I was wearing it at BPW a couple of weeks later when I wrote off my helmet and fractured a rib so it's not infallible.

I wore the Flank at Dyfi last weekend because the weather was minging and I don't have a jacket that fits over the Titan. Tested its effectiveness on 50 Hits...
1695246966151.jpeg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
For anyone with the Leatt 6.5 body suit, can you remove the side rib protection and just run the chest and back armour?

Also what size did you go for?
I'm 6 foot tall but only 37.5-38 chest. So I fall into the medium sizing for chest and large for the height. Obviously would want it to be a snug fit so unsure what size would be best.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Who uses a neck brace?

How effective are they are why don't more people wear them?

I've never used one but looked into one this summer and may get one at some point.

They seem very effective at a specific selection of neck injuries, but don't stop all neck injuries (like if you lawn dart in hard, you will probably still break your back/neck).

As to why people don't use them...fashion, price and perception. They were super popular as a fashion accessory with DH kids back in the late 00s, but there was a growing perception that they increase the risk of colour bone breaks in minor crashes (where you wouldn't normally do a collar bone) and a perception they cause back injuries or breaks if worn without body armour (which most dh kids didn't bother with).

There's also a few comments that they reduce movement/are uncomfortable, but most people seem to get used to them pretty quick.

Overall I concluded if you wear a decent brace that doesn't ride on the collar bone and wear it with armour, it's probably a good thing, but still haven't got around to buying one.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I've never used one but looked into one this summer and may get one at some point.

They seem very effective at a specific selection of neck injuries, but don't stop all neck injuries (like if you lawn dart in hard, you will probably still break your back/neck).

As to why people don't use them...fashion, price and perception. They were super popular as a fashion accessory with DH kids back in the late 00s, but there was a growing perception that they increase the risk of colour bone breaks in minor crashes (where you wouldn't normally do a collar bone) and a perception they cause back injuries or breaks if worn without body armour (which most dh kids didn't bother with).

There's also a few comments that they reduce movement/are uncomfortable, but most people seem to get used to them pretty quick.

Overall I concluded if you wear a decent brace that doesn't ride on the collar bone and wear it with armour, it's probably a good thing, but still haven't got around to buying one.

Thanks. I was wondering what the draw backs are. I have a Leatt Stealth T'shirt which is designed to be used with a neck brace so considering it too.

I remember Danny Hart wearing one around 10 years ago, but don't see any of the Pro's wearing them now?

To be fair, I still can't get my head around the lack of armour 90% of pro's wear.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
As to why people don't use them...fashion, price and perception.
It's funny, I saw quite a few riders using them last year at Morzine but oddly these same kids wore woefully little other protection. In fact it seemed that the more experienced you were the less you wore (discounting the neck brace). Many riders were smashing the blacks with little more than a T-shirt, knee pads and a full face. Bonkers!

And no I wasn't following them, I only witnessed their riding from awesome views of the uplifts :LOL:

Reactions: Dax

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Just seen this from Alpinestars.

Looks to be similar protection as the Leatt 6.5 but possibly better airflow and cheaper. Thought? I can't find any reviews on it.

Bionic tech V3

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK

Looks to be similar protection as the Leatt 6.5 but possibly better airflow and cheaper. Thought?

Looks the part, CE2 on all armour👍🏻
I always wonder how durable those mesh suits are though, they look like they'd rip easy?

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
That's a concern of mine also, the mesh has to be the weak point?

I think the Knox urbane would survive better as it's a road motorcycle jacket and more designed for abrasion resistance than impact?

Do like the look of this Alpinestars though. Two piece design, hard shell, CE2 rated, it's ticking the boxes, how heavy and hot though?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
That's a concern of mine also, the mesh has to be the weak point?

I think the Knox urbane would survive better as it's a road motorcycle jacket and more designed for abrasion resistance than impact?

Do like the look of this Alpinestars though. Two piece design, hard shell, CE2 rated, it's ticking the boxes, how heavy and hot though?

The A10 seems to have similar protection without a flimsy mesh holding it all together.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Looks to be similar protection as the Leatt 6.5 but possibly better airflow and cheaper. Thought? I can't find any reviews on it.

Bionic tech V3

Well ... the V2 was absolute crap. Looked like great ventilation on the outside, but was awful as none of those holes passed though. I think I lasted about 10 minutes in one before giving up.

If this one follows on in a similar theme to the earlier one in the thread then they might actually have started making some decent stuff again.

It says the kidney/waist belt is separate, so hopefully it just detaches like some of the other models.

The mesh generally holds up better than you imagine it will, I'd put that as a secondary concern. Better it breathes and tears somewhere- but you wore it, rather than it doesn't breath so you didn't wear it and it looks like new in your wardrobe.

Has some extra forearm/elbow straps which you see less these days due to the compression fitting, but ifit means they stay where you need them when you need them, then possibly they've even done some testing.

Their size guides SUCK ! as usual ... Available in S/M/L/XL/XXL and the size guide is for the old/stupid XS-S/M-L/XL-2XL

The shoulders and elbows look a bit like a version of the A-XOC armour (cones/tubes). Which seems to work well and vent well.

Tempted to try one.... Just a bit wary as every piece of Alpinestars I've bought for MTB has been nice pics and words, but awful in real life.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Will be mostly for uplift days but also bike parks with push ups.
As long as it's got decent air flow I'm not too concerned about heat, I'm cold blooded and ride with trousers and long sleeve all year round.

I looked into the A10 also, looks good but no flank protection, if it's worth it?

Had also looked at the tech v2, seems they have improved on it a bit with the v3. Shane there are zero reviews yet.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Will be mostly for uplift days but also bike parks with push ups.
As long as it's got decent air flow I'm not too concerned about heat, I'm cold blooded and ride with trousers and long sleeve all year round.

I looked into the A10 also, looks good but no flank protection, if it's worth it?

Had also looked at the tech v2, seems they have improved on it a bit with the v3. Shane there are zero reviews yet.
By flank do you mean hips? The A10 fastens round from front to back and protects your ribcage.
You can get armoured undershorts with hip, tailbone and thigh protection.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Flank I'm meaning side of body, under arms and side of ribs.

I'll also look into the under shorts. Going full tin Man look 😆

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Flank I'm meaning side of body, under arms and side of ribs.

Yeah the A10 covers the side of your ribcage. You want your ribs protected but under the armpit isn't necessary, what kind of crash are you expecting?! 😂

Undershorts - Hip bone coverage is nice to have along with tailbone. I did an OTB on a steep rocky section and landed heavy on that bit. Luckily the double tailbone protection from the back protector and shorts turned what would have been a nasty injury into just a bit of bruising.

I was thankful for that tailbone padding!

Screenshot_20230920_162953_Photos~2.jpg

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
You want your ribs protected but under the armpit isn't necessary, what kind of crash are you expecting?!

I once caught a small tree stump in my armpit - popped off a jump and laid the bike down on the landing, as the bike slid out I went down and landed on a 3" stump on the top of my ribs under my armpit. Couldn't breath for about 20mins, thought I'd punctured a lung at first and hurt like hell for a month. In general I agree thou, it's back and shoulders I worry about most.

I recommend the Troy Lee 7605 armoured pants. Very comfy and great protection.

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
I'm slowly starting to progress at bike parks and more advanced trails, I'm also not getting any younger and don't bounce as well as I used to. To keep the better half happy I think some protection would be a good idea.
So I'm after some body armour for bike park use and want a decent level of protection that's still reasonably comfy.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices but I'm not fully decided just yet so any input would be greatly received.

Alpinestars bionic action v2

Hard plastic armour (which I'm learning towards) in a spill may hold up better than the composite armour/fabric. I could also wear it with a short sleeve jersey to increase air flow. Good protection without being massively bulky.
Down side is its heavier and probably least comfortable.

Leatt 3DF AirFit Body Protector

large Composite armour with some flank protection, chest plate is smaller, though is c2 as is the back. Air flow is meant to be okay. possibly more comfortable but could be hot.

Leatt Body Protector 3DF AirFit Lite

Same as above but a lighter version. chest and back are c1 rated. Should be more comfortable but is the protection enough?

Leatt 3.5 GRAPHENE body Protector

Currently at the top of my list. Has hard plastic armour with a detachable chest/back protector. So I could wear the vest under a jersey and the chest/back protector over the top, more comfortable and easy to take off should I need to. Chest protector is larger but back protector is slightly smaller, possibly more comfortable for riding? c2 rated. airflow on the under layer should be decent but obviously the chest/back protector will limit this. current favourite.

Fox Racing Baseframe Pro D3O Jacket

composite armour again, light weight and breathable. chest plate is tiny but does offer some flank protection. should be comfortable. protection is okay, only the back being level 2. Expensive!

Troy Lee Designs UPS 7855

I've read Zimmers beaming review but currently this is last on the list just down to the lower level of protection, being only dense foam (though is this enough) Has the most protective pads of all and is light weight and breathable. Supposed to be super comfy.
I see this as more of an every day trail use protector and not a heavy duty bike park crash protector or am I missing something?
I will probably pick one up for general use in the future.

These are the current top picks but I'm open to sug

I'm slowly starting to progress at bike parks and more advanced trails, I'm also not getting any younger and don't bounce as well as I used to. To keep the better half happy I think some protection would be a good idea.
So I'm after some body armour for bike park use and want a decent level of protection that's still reasonably comfy.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices but I'm not fully decided just yet so any input would be greatly received.

Alpinestars bionic action v2

Hard plastic armour (which I'm learning towards) in a spill may hold up better than the composite armour/fabric. I could also wear it with a short sleeve jersey to increase air flow. Good protection without being massively bulky.
Down side is its heavier and probably least comfortable.

Leatt 3DF AirFit Body Protector

large Composite armour with some flank protection, chest plate is smaller, though is c2 as is the back. Air flow is meant to be okay. possibly more comfortable but could be hot.

Leatt Body Protector 3DF AirFit Lite

Same as above but a lighter version. chest and back are c1 rated. Should be more comfortable but is the protection enough?

Leatt 3.5 GRAPHENE body Protector

Currently at the top of my list. Has hard plastic armour with a detachable chest/back protector. So I could wear the vest under a jersey and the chest/back protector over the top, more comfortable and easy to take off should I need to. Chest protector is larger but back protector is slightly smaller, possibly more comfortable for riding? c2 rated. airflow on the under layer should be decent but obviously the chest/back protector will limit this. current favourite.

Fox Racing Baseframe Pro D3O Jacket

composite armour again, light weight and breathable. chest plate is tiny but does offer some flank protection. should be comfortable. protection is okay, only the back being level 2. Expensive!

Troy Lee Designs UPS 7855

I've read Zimmers beaming review but currently this is last on the list just down to the lower level of protection, being only dense foam (though is this enough) Has the most protective pads of all and is light weight and breathable. Supposed to be super comfy.
I see this as more of an every day trail use protector and not a heavy duty bike park crash protector or am I missing something?
I will probably pick one up for general use in the future.

These are the current top picks but I'm open to suggestions and appreciate any thoughts. I've been looking at so many different rigs over the last few weeks my brain is starting to resemble scrambled eggs!
I ride with the Fox Pro D30 Bodyarmour, prerry much comfortable, provides good protection, not too heavy, body fabric allowas ventilation, used mostly for technical terrain

itzik with Fox bodyarmour.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles