Body armour

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
So getting older and it takes longer to heal these days , so looking to get some decent body armour for the days i think am still in my twenties
looking at the usual makes poc ,fox ,leattt
any recommendations from you guys would be greatly appreciated

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How much protection do you want?

Presumably you already wear kneepads?

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
My worst crashes aren't when I am session-ing my favorite downhill tracks, but when I am on mellow meditating ride and forget to properly pay attention. Obviously, it's when I am least armored :- ). Or that was the past at least.
The best armor is the one you always wear, it takes some effort to find the right though but mostly all brands offer the same product range, it's just the different fit variation you have to try personally to find out. I wear pedallable level-2 knee-pads (POC Osseus), but ultra-light weight elbow pads (ION something..). No one wears elbows because they are annoying, but if you get ultra-lights it's just like sleeve. And it's the elbows that can take serious damage and heal like 6 months from simple trail rash..

But you can't really protect against the things that heal the worst. Shoulder injuries and broken clavicles will happen regardless of what suit you put on, those are best for shuttling downhill tracks because they protect your spine and chest but you will still break bones and tear ligaments if you fall hard. I am big fan of my Leatt body armor, just putting this out there to know what it protects against best (it can save you from death (sudden chest hit) or debilitating spine injury but shoulders and collarbone, no, so I don't wear it for regular trail riding).

I put my knee pads right on at home whether I go to local pump track or grab a soda at store :- ).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wear Troy Lee designs Shock Doctor range for knee & shin and their elbow guards. Sadly, they no longer make the Shock Doctor range, but have replaced it with something else instead I can only hope that it is good as the SD range. The SD stuff is lightweight, washable, breathable, comfortable and easy to get on an off. It is not meant for heavy duty downhill trails with lots of high-speed impact with sharp rocks (the plastic faced stuff), but is designed for every day trail use. Because it is so easy to use and to take care of, I use it all the time. Consequently, even if I am not paying attention just bimbling along chatting to my mates, when I get caught by surprise it is there to protect me. When my current stuff eventually wears out, I will definitely give Troy Lee Designs a very careful looking at.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The most important things to protect are your head, back and sternum ( or rather what it protects!). Armour is always a trade off between protection on the one hand, and comfort/heat management on the other. I always wear knee pads regardless of terrain or temperature. For rocky terrain I use Leatt ( zip up type). For forest trails I use Nukeproof knee pads.
In the warmest weather I weat Leatt Roost vest ( D30 chest and s houlders) together with a POC back protector.
Otherwise I wear an EVOC jacket for forest trials or a Leatt Airfit Jacket for more rocky terrain.
( I have never worn elbow pads).
Leatt shorts with hip and thigh pads for all rides.
For all gravity riding or jumps I use a Smith Mainline full face helmet and Smith goggles. For xc type rides I use an Endura open face with Oakley glasses.

...............its going to cost you!!!:p

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
I wear Troy Lee designs Shock Doctor range for knee & shin and their elbow guards. Sadly, they no longer make the Shock Doctor range, but have replaced it with something else instead I can only hope that it is good as the SD range. The SD stuff is lightweight, washable, breathable, comfortable and easy to get on an off. It is not meant for heavy duty downhill trails with lots of high-speed impact with sharp rocks (the plastic faced stuff), but is designed for every day trail use. Because it is so easy to use and to take care of, I use it all the time. Consequently, even if I am not paying attention just bimbling along chatting to my mates, when I get caught by surprise it is there to protect me. When my current stuff eventually wears out, I will definitely give Troy Lee Designs a very careful looking at

I wear Troy Lee designs Shock Doctor range for knee & shin and their elbow guards. Sadly, they no longer make the Shock Doctor range, but have replaced it with something else instead I can only hope that it is good as the SD range. The SD stuff is lightweight, washable, breathable, comfortable and easy to get on an off. It is not meant for heavy duty downhill trails with lots of high-speed impact with sharp rocks (the plastic faced stuff), but is designed for every day trail use. Because it is so easy to use and to take care of, I use it all the time. Consequently, even if I am not paying attention just bimbling along chatting to my mates, when I get caught by surprise it is there to protect me. When my current stuff eventually wears out, I will definitely give Troy Lee Designs a very careful looking at.

The most important things to protect are your head, back and sternum ( or rather what it protects!). Armour is always a trade off between protection on the one hand, and comfort/heat management on the other. I always wear knee pads regardless of terrain or temperature. For rocky terrain I use Leatt ( zip up type). For forest trails I use Nukeproof knee pads.
In the warmest weather I weat Leatt Roost vest ( D30 chest and s houlders) together with a POC back protector.
Otherwise I wear an EVOC jacket for forest trials or a Leatt Airfit Jacket for more rocky terrain.
( I have never worn elbow pads).
Leatt shorts with hip and thigh pads for all rides.
For all gravity riding or jumps I use a Smith Mainline full face helmet and Smith goggles. For xc type rides I use an Endura open face with Oakley glasses.

...............its going to cost you!!!:p
Yeh ! i know but needs must ,and i dont mind paying for stuff that works
thanks for your info (y)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
My worst crashes aren't when I am session-ing my favorite downhill tracks, but when I am on mellow meditating ride and forget to properly pay attention. Obviously, it's when I am least armored :- ).

This ^^

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
just had a look at TLD body armour .looks good
thanks for your input (y)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have POC VPD Air knee and elbow protection. And also Leatt Stealth Tee when I'm doing very silly stuff, plus a Dainese Linea 01 full face helmet. If I need more than that then I shouldn't be doing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles