Why no gear indicator?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
What gear am in?
The usual, Shimano AM42 shoes, Endura socks, Shimano Ranger trousers, Shimano long sleeved top, Specialized gloves, Bell Super 3R helmet and Oakley Straightjacket specs, Merino underwear.
Sounds good for flatlands northern hemisphere, but too heavy a gear for the tropics …. Light breatheable shorts and short sleeve jersey … underwear?!? picture that album from Queen with the song bicycle ;).

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Well you plainly do, if you have time to look at a gear indicator when your out riding .
Must be tragic not to have the mental faculty to be able to consider everything when you can only concentrate on pedalling :ROFLMAO:

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
And another thing, why have 3 power levels in mode 1 and 3 more in mode 2? Why not just have 6 levels available without stopping to change mode??

Ah, I know why, judging by the neanderthals on here there's a lot who struggle to count that high 🤣🤣🤣

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Must be tragic not to have the mental faculty to be able to consider everything when you can only concentrate on pedalling :ROFLMAO:
That's rich coming from someone who cant ride a bike without a gear indicator :rolleyes:
And taking a look at the flat trails you ride no wonder you have time to endlessly stare at your bars and not the trails , jumps and features ahead
If you want to meet up for a pedal we will see who can only concentrate on pedalling .

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
TBH I'm just amazed anyone can be so triggered by discussing a free and easy addItional display option which they would be under no obligation to ever look at . .

RiderOnTheStorm

If you want to meet up for a pedal we will see who can only concentrate on pedalling .
gotime.png

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

That's rich coming from someone who cant ride a bike without a gear indicator :rolleyes:
And taking a look at the flat trails you ride no wonder you have time to endlessly stare at your bars and not the trails , jumps and features ahead

Keep it classy guys

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Most of us spent years wondering when Shimano were going to remove the gear indicators on the shifters!!! I have none on my car either!!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
When you drive your car you don’t look down to see what gear your in, you just know when to shift. 👍
Lol, decades ago teaching my pretty much mechanically challenged daughter to drive her manual shift, for which she had no ear (and challenged my patience) an indicator may have been useful although the distraction may have sent her plowing into car ahead!
My other daughter is more mechanically intuitive and picked up shifting no problem.
Perhaps there are different types of riders with similar characteristics, some need the aid and others don’t.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Cadence is useful information even if the bike does not have a motor.
The OP is about knowing what sprocket is engaged, in situations when looking down or spinning the cranks are not possible, alas “technical terrain”…
Even if one considers it logical to do the maths while riding, why not have the computer do it?!
Hmmm, for me the problem would be that on technical terrain I’m certainly not looking down because I’m too busy looking ahead and picking my line therefore I’m not looking down at a display either, as that would be recipe for a crash and my cadence in such situations is irrelevant since the crank aren't “spinning” but rather being pedaled inconsistently.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Hmmm, for me the problem would be that on technical terrain I’m certainly not looking down because I’m too busy looking ahead and picking my line therefore I’m not looking down at a display either, as that would be recipe for a crash and my cadence in such situations is irrelevant since the crank aren't “spinning” but rather being pedaled inconsistently.
I love to ride sections where timing the pedalstrokes is mandatory, in these situations, knowing what gear i’m in is useful to decide the assistance mode to be used, since changing gears is very complicated.
But, most of the time while climbing, I will be spinning, and then, knowing the cadence allows me to estimate how much of a speed gain can be achieved before e tech section, or, for how long I can keep climbing that steep.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I'd like one on my shifter. For the downhill tracks where a quick pinch climb looms around a corner. Saves me that split second more looking down at the cluster to check or spinning my feet out changing down. I've been riding mtbs for 34yrs so i don't think I'm a beginner - maybe not great but not a beginner.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Lol, decades ago teaching my pretty much mechanically challenged daughter to drive her manual shift, for which she had no ear (and challenged my patience) an indicator may have been useful although the distraction may have sent her plowing into car ahead!
My other daughter is more mechanically intuitive and picked up shifting no problem.
Perhaps there are different types of riders with similar characteristics, some need the aid and others don’t.
I hknow people I swear are mechanically dyslexic. After years of riding they'll still not change gears for hills or if they do it's the wrong way. The mainstreaming of the pinion motor /gearbox will be a godsend!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I love to ride sections where timing the pedalstrokes is mandatory, in these situations, knowing what gear i’m in is useful to decide the assistance mode to be used, since changing gears is very complicated.
But, most of the time while climbing, I will be spinning, and then, knowing the cadence allows me to estimate how much of a speed gain can be achieved before e tech section, or, for how long I can keep climbing that steep.
I’m not clear what you mean by changing gears being complicated? For me I typically see the coming incline grade and knowing the pace I’m at the gear I’ll need is pretty much intuitive.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Why don't Shimano have a gear readout on their displays? The software knows speed and cadance so it's an easy calcultion and would be useful when approaching obstacles, junctions, knarly bits etc. Nothing worse than being in too high or low gear and struggling to get the right one when it's too late.
Never found a gear indicator any use on any bike I've ever had , completely pointless.

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles