Who bought an e bike for more fitness? More speed?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Or you could phrase it another way.

Who has gained additional fitness that they didn't have before diving onto the E-bike bandwagon?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Me.

E-biking has opened up more trails for me.

My work hours are pretty long, so unfortunately I’m not biking as much as I’d like. But e-biking helps me ride more than I otherwise would.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm not in the e game to ease the pedaling load. Quite the opposite. I want MORE!

Good on ya, brother. I got my eMTB to increase the amount of fun. On an aMTB, you ride until your body just can't take any more, then you go home. It's no different on an eMTB. You ride until your body just can't take any more, then you go home. With the eMTB, you get in more miles of trails before you're beat.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought an emtb to counter the effect of arthritis in my knees. I had lost fitness as a consequence of the arthritis, but now I have got my fitness back. :)

But I have to say that if I woke up with normal knees, I wouldn't go back to an mtb, absolutely no way; they are so much fun! :LOL:

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Olen 70. Matkani alkavat 7000:sta ja päättyvät 10:een. Minun ei tarvitse olla paremmassa kunnossa. Minun täytyy olla nuorempi. Ja minun täytyy ainakin ajoittain käydä noilla lenkillä sykealueella 3 vyöhykkeen 5 sijasta.
Tervehdys! Täytän 77 v, nyt.Sähköpyöräily mahdollistaa pitkiä 2,5-3+H vaeluksia.Aerobisella sykkeellä parasta liikuntaa. Cube 2019 E-BIKE täysi jousitus 160mm.Pieni avustus eco yleisesti käytössä.Hitaasti kiiruhtaen näkee paljon,perillä on takki tyhjä.SAUNAAN ,OLUTTA sanoo Suomalainen.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I went from riding 45 minutes to an hour on a MTB to 2-3 hour rides on an eMTB. That is 1-2 hours more aerobic exercise per ride. Also went from 1-2 rides a week to 3-4 rides a week. And as other have said, I am able to do much steeper and more fun rides. I am 59 yr old and have lost over 60lbs riding the eMTB. Way more fit now that I was 3 years ago. I play a lot of racquetball and have gone from playing doubles to playing singles now that I am more fit. I attribute it all to the eMTB. My only regret is that I bought a Giant Stance eMTB (Love the bike, great starter eMTB). But I wish I had bought the Trance or Reign model. But at the time, I wasn't sure about an eMTB and it was $1k to $1.5k less money. I tell anyone who asks, just bite the bullet and get the better bike, as you will love the bike.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
at first i got the ebike as a novelty
then i used it for a year for accident/medical recovery
now speed, i try to ride my nice xcountry bike now and then but it's so slow

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I'm 70. My rides start at 7000' and end at 10. I don't need to be more fit. I need to be younger. And I need to at least occasionally go on those rides at a heart rate in zone 3 instead of zone 5.
Yep! Younger would be good... e-mtb is second best thing! Not redlining the HR is also a plus. 👍

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
The one thing no one explains about this e-mountain bike lark when looking to buy.

What motor? Even narrowing down to Brose/Bosch/Shimano

Alloy or Carbon frame

27.5 front and back or 29 front and back Oh hang on what about a Mullet 🙄

Worrying about how fast they are is way down the road,but have to say when finally sorted the 6 motorcycles in the garage do not get anywhere near the attention since having an electric mountain bike.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
The one thing no one explains about this e-mountain bike lark when looking to buy.

What motor? Even narrowing down to Brose/Bosch/Shimano

Alloy or Carbon frame

27.5 front and back or 29 front and back Oh hang on what about a Mullet 🙄

Worrying about how fast they are is way down the road,but have to say when finally sorted the 6 motorcycles in the garage do not get anywhere near the attention since having an electric mountain bike.
There are numerous reviews, and You Tubes on different motors, so that's a decent place to start. Alloy Vs. carbon probably comes down to budget. For me that's more important on my mountain bike where ounces matter, but weight matters for my shoulders when it comes to putting my E-bike on the bike rack if nothing else. If it was much heavier, I'd have to send my wife to the gym. Francis Cebedo at mtbr makes the case that, since there's more weight on the back now, he believes mullets are the sweet spot. I'm not sure I agree, as there are some people who really like 29x2 and longer chainstays for fast, rowdy downhills. 27.5 front and back would only make sense for very small riders, IMV. As far as motors, I'd add in Giant's Yamaha. Then there are the questions of batteries - size and removable or not - availability of a range extender, programmability of the motor and warranties.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
When I turned 70 I gave up mountain biking as the effort was starting to outweigh the reward. Getting en E-MTB revitalised my enthusiasm. I like the fact that you spend all your time in the saddle and not pushing and walking. Now 75 so an E-MTB has extended my MTB career significantly.

Al

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
Various injuries over the years have taken their toll on my knees and right ankle.
I could go out on a normal bike, but my joints would suffer. So no real benefit for going out in the first place.

I'm finding that going out for two plus hours is achievable, with no great suffering to my knees. This is huge to me. Gone are the two week rest periods, now I can go out and actually enjoy myself.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Ok team I want to here from the crew who bought an e-bike to step up their riding.

To get more riding in, more speed, more fitness, more descents.

I'm not in the e game to ease the pedaling load. Quite the opposite. I want MORE!

Discuss.
I bought one because I was recovering from a serious medical condition. I was 63 and thought all my good days were in the past. Two years later and I am down 54lbs (+/- 25kg) and feeling like I am 40 years old again. I ride now for fun and the more technical the better…. I truly believe EMTBs have saved my life.

Jim1954

Feb 15, 2023
Chetwyd
Ok team I want to here from the crew who bought an e-bike to step up their riding.

To get more riding in, more speed, more fitness, more descents.

Discuss.
I am going to be 70 soon. The hills were starting to take the fun out of biking. Now, I enjoy hills. The bike supplies enough assist that I have enough energy left over to pick a decent line. Before I would be thrashing about just to keep moving I often stalled out.
Do I get more "fitness"? Probably as I generally do 40 km of trails on any days that I can. Any days that are not too smoky from the forest fires or I am not on a motorcycle trip I am on my bike.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
I can honestly say after my first eride I seriously started looking into pads. In my mtn bike XC racing days it was always “ faster, faster,faster”. I brought that same mentality to my E-bike world and when I started look ing at my stats , 19 mph top speed , 14 mph ave speed ((east coast tight single track))I was like … this is serious hurt if I crash. The thrill is real ; so are the consequences.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles