Who’s had a new knee and has it affected your riding?

Superses

Mar 20, 2023
England
I am fifty seven and had a full knee replacement on the 4th May 22. I have had knee problems for 25 years with the past 12 years being bone on bone. Before the operation I could ski, mountain bike, ride an enduro motorcycle and windsurf with pain but I walked poorly and my leg was the shape of a bow. The day after the operation I could walk with a stick and had 90 degrees of knee bend. I was able to drive after three weeks and ride an ebike for gentle exercise after four weeks. After about eight weeks I had 130 degrees of knee bend and was able to ride moderate routes. For the past five weeks I have felt felt confident undertaking 30+ mile fairly had rides. Whilst on holiday I managed to walk steep single track volcano without any knee pain.
A good recovery seems to be about sticking to the recommended physio, doing the boring exercises and not rushing back to activities too early
For me the operation has been a total success.:)
Hi,
Good to hear a positive report on knee replaement.I first damaged mine 40 years ago and have had 9 ops since. Now it is time I think to have it replaced if it can be fixed to the worn out bone. Not looking forward to the pain that is universally mentioned... Have you had any problems and have there been anytimes when you have been concerned about damaging it? I have problems walking down mountains. Do you feel secure in doing that?
Keith

philmedomsley

Apr 28, 2020
Durham
Hi
Hi,
Good to hear a positive report on knee replaement.I first damaged mine 40 years ago and have had 9 ops since. Now it is time I think to have it replaced if it can be fixed to the worn out bone. Not looking forward to the pain that is universally mentioned... Have you had any problems and have there been anytimes when you have been concerned about damaging it? I have problems walking down mountains. Do you feel secure in doing that?
Keith
Hi Keith
During the last six months I have been able to use my knee without any issues. Mountain biking and walking including descending mountains no problem. I am more careful when riding my enduro motorbike and skiing off piste than I was before the operation. I have had no pain since the operation. On the downside I need a new hip, which I will have replacement ASAP.😂

Superses

Mar 20, 2023
England
Hi

Hi Keith
During the last six months I have been able to use my knee without any issues. Mountain biking and walking including descending mountains no problem. I am more careful when riding my enduro motorbike and skiing off piste than I was before the operation. I have had no pain since the operation. On the downside I need a new hip, which I will have replacement ASAP.😂
Thanks Phil,
Hope the hip goes well, several people have told me that after hip relacement thay get less pain than they were experiencing from day one ,so if you have had the pain of a TKR a hip should be a walk in the park(sorry....) Did you wait for the NHS or go private? I am amazed you can ski I'm surprised you can ski at all given the twisting moment on the joint. Do you use clip in pedals?

All the Best
Keith

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles