What to do when Encountering Cows with horns on trail?

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I was on a tight single track with my wife, when she all of a sudden stopped. Seems there were two cows with two calves, right in the middle of the trail up ahead. There was a hill to the left and drop off to the right.
What is the best thing to do? Back up, keep going, drag the bike down the dropoff (it wasn't that bad), etc..
Just an FYI, these cows had horns (who knew cows could have horns, but after some research some do!!), long ones and we were especially concerned because their babies were with them and mothers tend to be very protective of them.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I've come across cows, including in herds, plenty riding in the american west. If you want them to get off the trail it is not a big deal with domesticated cattle, even those with horns and calves. Just get off the bike and walk towards them slowly and speaking out loud, my go to phrase is "come boss" and they will scatter off in short order. You might want to give a big bull as much respect as possible though.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Never mind what we think, what did you do as presumably you've both lived to tell the story?

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Never mind what we think, what did you do as presumably you've both lived to tell the story?
It just so happens, 20 feet back up the trail, there was a little path that dropped down into a small dead end plateau (worried the cows would follow us as there was tons of cow droppings there). We chose that route, and the cows started moving again. My wife was freaking out, and I saw a small path leading back up to the trail where the cows were. Required pushing the bikes up a steep hill, so we did that once the cows moved along. I just wanted to know what the best thing would be to do as that easy out will not always be possible and I consider us lucky it was there.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Most of the time they will move ..but not always .
You were right to be concerned if they have young calves ..if you had been a dog walker you would have been wise to turn back ..
They are individuals with their own personality and some can be just plain mean ..my sister in law who is a farmer is very wary when going into a pen in winter with certain cattle ..
I'm fine in a group of riders ..but have been known to reverse my route if on my own and the herd is close ..add a bull into the equation and I'm already heading in the opposite direction?
( bad experience crossing a field in NW Scotland while on a sea kayak expedition with my boat on my shoulder at age 15 ) ..

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have to go through a field with bull in it on one of my local rides. its a public access field, also full of cows. The farmer told me the bull is 'soft as shite'. This doesnt stop the bull from lowering his head and scraping the floor with his hoof every time I cycle past.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I agree with her about the church bells. I was at a conference in the very beautiful Swiss town of Rapperswill and my hotel was on the town square opposite the church. The bells went off every 15 minutes. ALL. FUCKING. NIGHT. I got bugger all sleep, even with the hotel-supplied ear plugs

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When confronted by cattle. Remain calm. Pick up a twig or small branch. (even a long piece of grass will work in a pinch). Hold it out to your side (level) and make eye contact with the cattle. You don't even need to wave it) They'll always retreat.
Trust me on this.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It’s an effin cow. Not a Buffalo. I’d go and kick the cow. I’ve out ran many angry cows.
Now now Bamba. I love a good pub story as much as the rest but fess up... Which is it? Did you really take on many a two ton wild animal or did you once meet one, shit yourself and run away?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
The weirdest experience I've had with angry animals ..
On the Border Ridge in the Cheviot Hills while riding solo I came across a large group of wild goats who were a little bit ahead of me on the flagstone section of trail ..once they were aware of me they started moving on but didn't seem keen to move off the trail to either side and after a little while they stopped and what could only have been the leader of the pack came from the front of the group to the back ( a big Billy with a good sized set of horns ) and stared me out ..he won ..and I waited until they moved on and off to the side ..
I remember thinking did he see me as a threat as I had bar ends on the bike ( I did say it was a good few years ago ) ??

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

Grew up on a farm with cows. We’d try to ride them ....and that meant once they bucked you off they’d try to stomp or ram you. Had to be quick. But they’re just big dumb animals. Clearly any large aggressive animal and being with your significant other would cause anyone to worry. Straight lines they’d always catch me. Some football moves and not an issue.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Grew up on a farm with cows. We’d try to ride them ....and that meant once they bucked you off they’d try to stomp or ram you.
I grew up (pre-school) on a farm too. and have lived on an organic beef farm (150 cows) for the last 16years.
A farm here bears little resemblance to the kind of circus you describe. ;)

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
All joking apart, there's a serious - potential - risk here. I got smashed up pretty badly myself back in the day by a a cow (staring them down is not a good strategy, incidentally - I was lucky that only one of the herd actually laid hooves on me, and that it didn't also have horns, or I'd have been a kebab), so there's a real "better safe than sorry" to this.

Timing is definitely a factor though - there's far less risk outside of the calving season.

Some light reading on the wider subject here:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I go through fields and also heathland which have cows grazing in them on my lockdown rides ( sometimes horses as well)......and the cows all have horns!! I do not know what breed they are but they are pretty big animals and a dark brown colour...much bigger than the more normal Freisians. They are however completely docile, they just stand and watch as you ride by even if they have calves with them. I certainly would not go into a field with Bullocks in there. They charge about in a herd, probably thinking any passer by is bringing fodder.
I think it also makes a difference if the cattle are in a field with public access. Either they are accustomed to people on foot and on bikes or the farmer deliberately chooses to only let more docile cattle graze in those environments...maybe a mix of both.
If you do not know whether the cows are docile or not stay close to the entry point of the field for a while to see if they ignore your presence or not. You at least the have the chance to retreat!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Mike ..if you really think a farmer is going to segregate a herd to put only " docile " cows in a field you are living in cloud cuckoo land !"
I have read that report in KeithR's post ..and in just goes to re-enforce my own views and the measures I personally take .
I will pass through a field if the cows are far enough away ..passing through them though ..no way .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am referring to docile by nature of their breed. I have worked on a farm as a kid and know full well that Holsteins have a mix of behaviours. I know a couple of the farmers locally here and quite a few public footpaths pass through grazing fields. The farmer with the large horned brown cows was picking mushrooms and we stopped to chat. He told me his cattle were very docile and was therefore not worried that a network of regularly used bridleways passed through the fields he used. Another network of fields we go through on a dog walk has recently been converted from arable use to pasture for both sheep and cattle and new fencing and stiles were therefore erected. The issue of safety for walkers etc on a popular footpath passing through 4 of those fields was raised in the parish council. That is where the farmer ( the local Manor Farm) said that his plans to diversify into livestock took account of that in terms of the breeds he intended buying. So far he has been true to his word.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
While they maybe generally docile, I wouldn't want to be on the pointy end of those horns. I've had a few encounters with these when on the Isle of Mull, I try to give them a wide berth.

df4e2437ce3677bac4544deed8fbe190c067e047.jpg

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
My garden back onto fields with a couple of bulls in.

All I say is don't have digestive biscuits in your pockets, you'll create a stampede. Them mofo's love them when my kids feed them those ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If they’re above an 8 - I totally disagree.
Dude. You've spent a large chunk of your posting history here complaining about not being able to find a woman at all. You'd have to be an idiot to take advice on attractiveness to women from a guy like that.
;)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles