What do you HATE when we buy a new bike and e-bike ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Don’t see why.
I’m I think I’m gonna throw 5k in to Nikola Corporation and not look for a year. I think there’s a decent chance it would/could be at 100k by next year. Or I’d be an idiot who is 5k poorer. But I’m quite well versed in being an idiot so not like I’d cry about it.

I’ll play it safe and put my 5k into Unilever ?
Cup of PG tips anyone? ☕️ ?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
New bike you just want to ride it , but you need to set Everything up and often part assemble it make tyres tubeless etc then bugger about with suspension settings .
this last time that didn’t happen ,the bike shop asked my wieght set the Suspension to treks set up guide put sealant in the already tubeless tyres . When I got it home All I had to do was spend 10 mins fitting my pedals and adjusting seat and brake lever positions etc , the shop even offered to do that for me first ride everything was close to perfect . It normally takes a number of rides stopping adjusting. Carrying a suspension pump experimenting with pressures etc . I guess its having a good Lbs and a manufacturer with a bit of forward thinking

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
All the stickers on the bike that use the worlds stickiest glue.

Tesla shares are certainly interesting, I think they will keep climbing but I'm not investing my cash there. I've been making some good gains on some other better valued stocks. By traditonal metrics, Tesla's share price is massively overinflated. They produce a small amount of cars per year but have a value of more than the next 6 biggest car manufacturers combined :oops:

message-editor%2F1609350320134-marketcap-all.jpg

Last edited:

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
All the stickers on the bike that use the worlds stickiest glue.

Tesla shares are certainly interesting, I think they will keep climbing but I'm not investing my cash there. I've been making some good gains on some other better valued stocks. By traditonal metrics, Tesla's share price is massively overinflated. They produce a small amount of cars per year but have a value of more than the next 6 biggest car manufacturers combined :oops:

message-editor%2F1609350320134-marketcap-all.jpg
i agree on both sticker glue issue and tesla share's value :) Tesla should be on KIA level

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thousands spent and no pedals!! Always gets me.

Bikes generally only ever come with terrible loose ball bearing resin pedals that cost the manufacturer about a quid. One of the reasons for this is to legally sell a bike with pedals in the UK the pedals have to have pedal reflectors fittted.

19716-28221_1_Zoom.jpg

Personally I love seeing someone on a £4k+ bike with those fitted.

Colcam

Sep 26, 2019
Scotland
I HATE :unsure: :ROFLMAO: to agree with @Gary, but he does have a point. How many things do you buy between €1 and €100,000,000 that come with a complete parts manual by default. Yes, it's frustrating not to have it in your hand maybe,but equally wasteful as 99% of people would just throw it away. Often you can find the information online to download.

It's not that the shop don't provide you with it, it's that the manufacturer doesn't give it to the shop to give to you. These things are also constantly upgrading and evolving, so a paper version would be out of date and incorrect before you know it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but last time I bought a lear jet, I was so pissed that I needed a 40ft fireproof container just to keep the manuals that I sold it and flew economy ever after.
I bought a whyte S150 a couple of years ago,it came with a full list of parts and part numbers, hopefully they do the same with the e bikes.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I bought a whyte S150 a couple of years ago,it came with a full list of parts and part numbers, hopefully they do the same with the e bikes.
Almost all parts that wear are part of the group set , or suspension ie shimano sram fox etc .they are even warrantied by their particular manufacturer rather than the bike brand
Bearings have a part number on them and virtually all can be bought from any bearing supplier .
if you needed a part that was was brand specific then you have to go to the dealer anyway . I would rather a dealer look up a part in front of me on their computer than just give them a number from a list , then if the wrong part arrives it’s not at your expense

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Denpot29 At the sort of money that many people spend on a bike, the manufacturers believe that the riders have very specific views about what sort of pedal they want (I do). Therefore they see no reason in providing a high spec pedal because they will always get it wrong, so they provide the minimum. Let's not forget of course that it keeps the price down!

I am fully aware that the same argument can be put for much that comes on a bike. The next thing of course are grips and the saddle. Along with pedals, those are your three main contact points on the bike. All very personal and all three are things I change. Usually, but not always followed by the tyres!

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
@Denpot29 At the sort of money that many people spend on a bike, the manufacturers believe that the riders have very specific views about what sort of pedal they want (I do). Therefore they see no reason in providing a high spec pedal because they will always get it wrong, so they provide the minimum. Let's not forget of course that it keeps the price down!

I am fully aware that the same argument can be put for much that comes on a bike. The next thing of course are grips and the saddle. Along with pedals, those are your three main contact points on the bike. All very personal and all three are things I change. Usually, but not always followed by the tyres!
I partly agree but instead of nightmarish pedal in plastic a pair of chinese average flat with pins cost 20 USD so they could up the price 20 USD in my view. For4 to 7000 pounds you can spare the price of correct pedals, grips, put a 14cm wide saddle minimum, and even put a booklet with the detailed parts of the bike, and specs. I would not push to says bike manufacturers do not even do the minimum/basic (my 2 cents).

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I reckon they should do something about the pedal situation, at least for bikes of a certain value. I don't buy the argument that it's because of personal preference. People spending that much money on a bike have a personal preference for just about every single thing bolted to it.

Gary's point make sense, but manufacturers could have a cheap, flat alloy pedal with a reflector on it.

I would like to have the option some manufacturers offer to US customer where you can build your bike, sadly that isn't a thing in Australia.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Every decent bikeshop sell a range of pedals.
Direct sales bike brands generally sell pedals too.
When you buy a complete bike from a bikeshop most would be happy to offer a discount on the pedals of your choice.

A poor quality set of pedals included with a £4k bike whether Alloy or Resin would rarely even be fitted by the buyer.
A decent set of pedal would increase the RRP of the bike.
it's not like it's a secret that they're not included. and the RRP for the bike reflects this.

all my Vitus Ebikes came with the resin pedals I posted a pic of above along with the stupid plastic spoke protector no one fits.
All 3 sets were given FOC to folk with cheap/kids bikes I repaired.
Spread the love Xx

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
View attachment 49598
I bought 2 EMTB in 2020 one MERIDA and One Giant for my wife(above). Great bikes. However :)
WHAT I HATE :)
View attachment 49599
For me, in both cases the shop don't have, or don't provide the part list with all the detailed technical specs in case of replacement (ex : bearings, bushings etc)... Am I the only one who like to fix my own bikes? I know how to use a calliper but... bummer :)

What is the worst part of your buying experience ?
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 14.35.50.png

AHHH this is a real manufacturer :)
shame on Giant and Merida :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
AHHH this YT is a really small manufacturer
shame on when compared to Giant and Merida :)
Both Merida and Giant have a huge international dealer network with trained staff to deal with technical issues rather than just an office, storage, assembly and shipping company like YT. They're completely different business models.

Merida and Giant have exploded diagrams of their frames too. They just choose not to include them with the bike.
Here's one for the Merida you're complaining about.
images

Remind me, Who's talking shit here?

Last edited:

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Both Merida and Giant have a dealer network with trained staff to deal with technical issues rather than just an office, assembly and shipping company like YT. They're completely different business models.

Merida and Giant have exploded diagrams of their frames too. They just choose not to include them with the bike.
Here's one for the Merida you're complaining about.
images

Remind me, Who's talking shit here?
it is not my model I do not have internal battery but thanks anyway.
regarding the "talking shit", I don't criticise other people for their opinion so I don't use this vocabulary. My complain is with Merida or Giant who does not share technical diagram and spare part numbers with their customers. Even if you ask the dealer he does not provide it ...

I dislike it and As I pay for my bike I want to be able to order the component without being obliged to remove them first from my bike... I criticise the business model which make it more difficult for end user to maintain their bike, and I would add I am not the only one, almost all customer with technical knowledge want this option. It saves time and energy.

my 2 cents,
Emmanuel

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
A Merida dealer can definitely get the part numbers.

A giant reseller too can find it, I am quite sure, but they don't give it to you... I bought 2 bikes one in a Merida dealership and one I Giant reseller, I am still waiting the part list... lol ... I asked nicely three time after it is over. I will never go back in those two shops except for a motor failure under warranty (if any).
I dropped pretty penny for both bikes and those brands and shops will not see me again ... I will go with a more serious brand even if smaller. I want a brand and shop who want to help its customers. I love both the Merida and the Giant. BTW, I really really love the Merida in fact.
People who buys YT also love their bikes a lot :) In short I don't like the business model nor the shop and people who enforce it :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks.

"deep inside somewhere" is one of my favourite places ;)

Just trying to open your eyes to the posibility that you may well be proposing to jump from the frying pan into the fire for the sake of a diagram.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles