What do you HATE when we buy a new bike and e-bike ?

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Thanks.

"deep inside somewhere" is one of my favourite places ;)

Just trying to open your eyes to the posibility that you may well be proposing to jump from the frying pan into the fire for the sake of a diagram.
It is not about the diagram but customer experience & respect of the customer( the diagram spare part numbers and reference & diagram just shows they go in the direction of customers). I remember the time when buyers were listened :) Regarding YT, I never had a YT, I do not even know anyone who have one. In any case, I hope anyway I won't have to shop for bike before 2025 :)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I just negotiated pedals into the deal on my new bike. And Invisiframe. And updated handlebars. And tubeless. And upgraded tyres. And an upgraded Bosch display. The pedals were definitely free though! :D

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Commencal supply Ride Alpha (own brand) flatties with pins and reflectors with their Meta Powers. The reflectors clip off. One pedal's axle survived exactly one week of my riding. Replacement DMR V12s have survived intact to date, incidentally bending a Shimano XT crank arm along the way.

I'm glad Commencal supplied the Ride Alphas; they lived up to my low expectations but were perfectly serviceable. I do now wonder if bending cheap pedal axles might not actually be the better approach considering the regularity I ride like a moron.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
......................I'm glad Commencal supplied the Ride Alphas; they lived up to my low expectations but were perfectly serviceable. I do now wonder if bending cheap pedal axles might not actually be the better approach considering the regularity I ride like a moron.
Pedal axles that bend instead of the crank arms? A bit like a mech hanger then, a sacrificial component?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For obvious reasons. a clumsy rider on an Ebike using overly strong/stiff cranks and pedal axles definitely isn't a great idea.
When I first got an Ebike I wished Shimano made Saint level Ebike cranks as I use them on all my other mtbs and the difference in stiffness is quite noticeable. Since destroying multiple main axle bearings on lots of motors I definitely wouldn't want stiffer cranks than the cheap E8000s.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
So I defiantly hate the wait currently April/21. I see people getting other bikes I considered and get bike envy ?

My rational side says its a bog where I live at the moment, knacker all the bearings, silly to take a new bike into that, probably for the best. But then there's that other voice that says we wants it, my precious!?

My wife is probably just as keen for it to arrive so I can stop going on about it ?‍♀️

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Probably a bit late on this thread, it seems to have changed course...I can honestly say I don't hate any part of getting a new bike, in fact it's a great feeling. Everything I've ever ordered (physical goods wise) has been in line with my expectations, I've always expected to supply my own preferred pedals and set up tubeless. I've always researched the detail and "what's in the box". What I do get a thrill out of is integrating a new bike into the garage and my wife doesn't notice ...

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Probably a bit late on this thread, it seems to have changed course...I can honestly say I don't hate any part of getting a new bike, in fact it's a great feeling. Everything I've ever ordered (physical goods wise) has been in line with my expectations, I've always expected to supply my own preferred pedals and set up tubeless. I've always researched the detail and "what's in the box". What I do get a thrill out of is integrating a new bike into the garage and my wife doesn't notice ...
and what about writing this ? At least it should be a slightly painful phase :) when you drop 9000 BP on bikes you reflect on the cost of a car going away :) at least a bit :) my wife punished me :)

blue-safety-check-1.jpg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Got home with my new EMTB only to find the BOSCH charger needed a 2 pin to 3 pin converter grrrrrr
YES - getting a wrong wall plug for the charger would definitely justify the use of the word "hate" when buying a new eBike! Especially when the bike came from a local or domestic seller... who should've known better to check their own stocks being sold.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
and what about writing this ? At least it should be a slightly painful phase :) when you drop 9000 BP on bikes you reflect on the cost of a car going away :) at least a bit :) my wife punished me :)

View attachment 52157

That was the bit I enjoyed most. Procrastinating about the price and having super wife tell me to just buy the thing. I think " you work hard and deserve it" was the start of the conversation.

Next great experience was the look on the lbs face - guess he thought I was a tyre kicker ...and I doubt many " talk to the wife" phone calls were that quick.

Oh, and for what it's worth - he's never reluctant to show me the parts diagram, but I've always respected this and ordered from him. Except the time he didn't have bearings in stock - he called the local bearing supplier before sending me there.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I feel the same way with the scratches - Personally I'm bummed at first then a sense of relief overwhelms me and I stop babying the damn thing.
You're better than me Shinn. I chipped a bit of paint off my Enduro when swapping to coil the other day. 2min later, applying the touch up paint.
Good thing it's an alloy frame. Don't trust myself with Carbon ?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
You're better than me Shinn. I chipped a bit of paint off my Enduro when swapping to coil the other day. 2min later, applying the touch up paint.
Good thing it's an alloy frame. Don't trust myself with Carbon ?
That's why I bought an alloy SL and not the carbon as well... I prefer the look of the carbon frames but its too stressful for me.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I also find the secretive nature of bike motors annoying, certainly with Bosch anyway. I can and have fixed several Makita power tools. I can find parts diagrams for the tools and buy things like speed controllers, armatures, chuck parts and brushes.
Bosch cx parts in my experience have not been so easy to find.
Having said that ,Performance Line Bearings, are doing a great job at making stuff available.
Exactly the reason why I bought a bike with a Polini Motor.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Having to swap out poor quality or unsuitable components like saddles and bars.Once normal times return you should be able to customise like cars (they almost costs as much!) and Orbea can do it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles