What size Bafang BB02 is the most comparable to my Bosch? Looking for feedback from conversion kit owners.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
I've a bbshd conversion, not the same motor but the same system.
It will be most important to tinker with the configuration of the motor to get the best for your needs,
as far as the output power is concerned you need to set up the PAS Levels to what works for you.

The Bafang conversion motors dont have tourque sensing so they are hard to compare and drive quite differently.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes thanks for that.
What I was wondering though is do I need a 500, 750 or 1000 w motor? It's going to be the 2nd bike if my wife or family want to join me on my rail so not sure that I need a 70kph rocketship, more something that will get up steep hills easily. I don't see any where that gives real world comparisons in power.
I am starting doing reasearch & it seems the bbshd is the fruntier build version of the BB02.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Well i have a Power Readout on the display and with 700W its just a matter of the gearing what you can climb.
From what i know the bbs02 will give you a better chainline than the bbshd but can still be challenging.
This page contains some good information: ElectricBike-Blog.com
Frame is very important BottomBracket room for battery etc.
AFAIK the BBSHD (BBS03) is basicly a beefed up version of the BBS02 more copper more everything,
dont know if that is necessary for your needs.
Those things can get pretty fast if you are in a higher PAS level, worst case you can set a speed limit.
Would do as much research as possible, gear ratio might be difficult becouse the chainrings that have a better
chainline are 40 or 42t and for climbing you probably want something bigger than a 36t cog.
I have 42/50 climbs about everything if its not blocked rootet etc.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Have you thought about the more lightweight BBS01 motors if they are still available? Great little motor for wife duties on not demanding terrain.

The BBS02 are super reliable motors in the 500 -900W range and can be pushed out to 1200Ws if you really want, but remember your Bosch is only about 800W’s in boost and the need for that sort of power will necessitate brake cut offs.

Yes you can reprogram them but they will never be as good in the scenario you describe as the TSDZ2 engine which will be far easier to install, 1kg lighter, torque sensing all for less cost than the BBS02.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Thanks for the replies. I have done a bit of research but it's still ongoing. That EB-blog looks good. I'm not so much looking for more power just unsure how much real time power each motor has- looking for the goldilocks one. I think I'll try to have a go on a few local ones & decide.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles