CYC conversion kits

Nashwillis

May 16, 2021
TN
Anyone have experience with the CYC X1 or stealth?
I am looking fora conversion kit for my intense spider. I have looked at lift-mtb, revel propulsion also but the CYC stealth looks amazing. Any recommendations are welcomed.

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Another one to look at is Paradox Kinetics it’s a kit as well, it’s a bit on the spendy side though. I was going to get one for my GT Sanction at one time, I’m a bit on the small side though and they were only doing the heavy battery backpack at the time. Carrying 3kg on my back would be a bit too heavy for me not sure if they have changed it or not now. The motor side is the smallest form factor of all of them.

I don’t think the Cyc Stealth has shipped yet there’s a few threads on another forum where people have the second gen Cyc X1 pro, not sure if I can mention the other forum here, if you can’t find it drop me a pm. Members here are mostly using Bafang stuff if they are going the DIY route.

Nashwillis

May 16, 2021
TN
The paradox kinetics looks good but it is pricey about twice as much is the CYC stealth. It doesn’t give as much detail about the motor, such as what v it is.
I have read some things about the CYC X1 on other forums and all seem positive about it other than the motor is a bit loud.
probably will order the stealth and hopefully it ships in June .

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Hi. No experience yet, but we've ordered the Stealths so will update when they arrive.
Don't think Revel is in production anymore. Great shame as it looked really good.
There's also lightest.bike mid drive but they aren't shipping until September

Nashwillis

May 16, 2021
TN
Hi. No experience yet, but we've ordered the Stealths so will update when they arrive.
Don't think Revel is in production anymore. Great shame as it looked really good.
There's also lightest.bike mid drive but they aren't shipping until September
Post a review after you get it set up. Where did you order it and how long for delivery?

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Hi.
Will happily let you know what we think, although it's our first foray into any form of ebikes so got no yardstick.

We've ordered them directly from cyc.
They were really helpful and quick to respond to emails. They are quoting 8 to 10 weeks on their website but said that hopefully it'll appear faster than that as they are working overtime to fulfill early orders.

There's a guy put some videos up on YouTube recently, just search cyc stealth. One is an on bike ride, no commentary, but you get some idea of the noise which seems fine.

Cheers!

Sparky DH

May 10, 2021
NH, USA
Did you get yours? I ordered mine directly from the US distributor (Electrify out of Utah). Both Mark there and Cathy @ CYC headquarter is always very helpful. I cannot wait to get mine! I ordered the Pro Gen II with a 52V battery setup.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am resisting the urge to Google this stuff to find out what the hell it all is.
I will never build an ebike of my own, so I don't need to know.
I really don't!
Do not look........!

Sparky DH

May 10, 2021
NH, USA
View at your own risk :sneaky: So I've been just itching to ride in general since I have no working bike so ended up buying a really cheap set of cranks so I can at least tweak other components, embed the brakes in so I'm excited for that. Then take them off once the motor comes in ?

Sparky DH

May 10, 2021
NH, USA
Marjorie, you'll probably get yours first. Mine's on backorder I found out so it may not be for another month or so. Which is honestly not an issue as I slapped on a cheap crankset and am still able to ride my bike as normal. I could use some exercise while I wait :ROFLMAO:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I am building a CYC Stealth up in the next few weeks. I have just purchased a victim donor bike. Motor looks pretty interesting. I like the fact that you can legalise the power output / speed etc via the app.

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 14.28.24.png

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Little update...
We've had the first unit through yesterday, and is really very nice!
Brother decided to put it on his GT Fury, 2016 vintage I think. It's a duct tape install at the moment.
Initial impressions are really positive.
It's quieter than the YouTube videos sound, assume that's down to frequencies in the recordings or something clever.
Fairly simple to install. Secured the motor on the bikes chain guide mounts.
Really nice display.
He made the 52v battery to fit the frame. All up weight of bike with motor and battery is 25kg (Fury is a DH bike, size L, 27.5 wearing Magic Mary's) and you wouldn't know it. It rides beautifully. Loads of pick up and an easy 30mph on the flat with more available.
We haven't played with the settings yet and the ride feels really nice.
Will get some more feedback and photos when the weather's better.
So far, would recommend it:)

ktc

Sep 19, 2021
Dublin
Thanks for sharing. Have just submitted an order for a stealth motor, so it may be some time before I get to share any photos! Speaking of, how long were you waiting, and what kind of battery are you pairing it with?

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Hi. It took about 8 or 10 weeks, can't really remember I'm afraid, but the communication from them was very good.
We've made our own 52v batteries, so bought a welder and BMS and sparked them all together. Not too hard and thankfully brother is good with electronics too.
full

full

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
full

Ghetto battery installation for testing, hopefully on the road tomorrow weather permitting.
21700 batteries in a 14s3p configuration with BMS.
3d printed carbon nylon adaptors to make bottom of downtube flat.
All up weight of 24.74kgs with 2.5 knobblies.

Last edited:

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Will try to do video at some point but hit first hurdle this morning.
The test flight was brilliant fun, fast and responsive, right up until the rear mech fluffed a change and literally got torn in half:ROFLMAO: Brother towed me back with his bike, so it's got some torque!
New mech in post, should be here tomorrow...

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Been running it single speed today waiting for the new mech.
You'll laugh, but on its max level there's probably too much power for my short wheelbase Intense as it keeps trying to power wheelie and flip me off the back, which it did successfully yesterday , much to my surprise:ROFLMAO:
Brothers long slack gt fury is much more relaxing to ride and can use full throttle with confidence. The Intense has now been christened Little Bastard;)

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Intense m1 was the dream bike. Not quite how i remember it lol. Short wheelbase and the high bb stands in contrast to todays bikes. I remember them just eating up terrain and super quiet doing it. That bikes a keeper for sure. I guess you could put a -1 degree works headset and a couple offset shock bushings. Thatd lower the bb about 1cm and add a couple cm's to the wheelbase.
These motors look so good. Eyeing up an old freeride bike for one. Axle looks good quality but im hesitating going back to square taper. Im curious how that axle and crank quality is? I wonder if any of the big parts companies still make a high end square taper crank

Yogi

Oct 7, 2021
Australia
Hi,
I just built an older 2009 Giant Reign 0 with the Stealth motor. Took it out and did 20kms of singletrack on weekend. Was fantastic, played with assist levels and between street and race modes. In race mode on level 1 it had more than enough power to blast through the trails. I run a 52v 9.8 ah battery and came back with 90% left. I know it's an older bike but was top spec in its day and weighs 19.5 kg as pictured. The bike owed me nothing and now I have a pretty capable ebike for a lot less $$. I can keep up to my wife now who rides a Focus Thron 2 6.9 ebike!!! My inspiration for this came from viewing Rob Rides EMTB build of his Stealth.
Bike1.jpg
Bike2.jpg
Bike3.jpg
Bike4.jpg

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I'm really tempted to do this to the wifes FS.
How are CYC to deal with and who/how did you get the battery packs etc?
Delivery times on the whole thing?

The riding looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Yogi

Oct 7, 2021
Australia
I’m in Australia and contacted a local distributor and he had 1 in stock, deal done. Battery was part of the package. Took 4 days from ordering to delivery. I guess it’s where you are. So far really happy with it and yes it’s not as noisy as on videos. Plus I used a Muc off ceramic lube on chains which helps with the noise. When you are in race mode under full power and shifting through the gears it sounds like a formula 1 race car, well that’s my take on it. May do a video on single track when I can

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I'm really tempted to do this to the wifes FS.
How are CYC to deal with and who/how did you get the battery packs etc?
Delivery times on the whole thing?

The riding looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

I like the idea - but are they square tapered arms?

Could make a fun hardtail out of this kit...

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Yogi- love that bike! And under 20 kilos is brilliant, i bet it flies:)

VW, i would say go for it, brother and u are loving ours. The coms with the company is good and it took about 12 weeks to come.
Any other questions just ask.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles