What are your favorite conversion kits to electric?

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I'm currently converting a bike using a kit from Grin Technologies. I was wondering if there were any mountain bike specific kits that anybody would recommend.

The one I'm converting from Grin is a hub motor. Could I do a hub motor for a mountain bike?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
For any kind of steep, technical climbing, you'll probably want a mid-drive. Hub motors' weight placement also has an adverse affect on handling. If you'll be riding less challenging trails, hub motors are fine. Here's a comprehensive comparison between mids & hubs.

Bafang is by far the biggest mid-drive kit brand, but in my experience, they tend to lag on power delivery shut-off, which can be treacherous on twisty singletrack. The torque-sensing on them is also way less refined than that of Shimano, Bosch etc.

I'm pondering whether to install a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit, which a few reviews have compared to Bosch mid-dives, on a gravel bike. The TSDZ2's power delivery is reportedly much smoother than Bafangs' due to a vastly better response to rider pedaling torque. I'm hoping it doesn't lag (Bosch et al don't), but I won't be riding a drop-bar bike on too many tricky trails ?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
You could do a hub motor mountain bike but you'll regret it. You'd be better off with a mid drive kit

Doesn't that depend on what it's used for!
I had a hub drive on my old HT & now in the process of fitting it to a FS, just waiting for my LBS to spoke it in to a 27.5 as the kit came with a 26.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
If you are going 'off roading' with a hub motor make sure it's a direct drive and not a geared motor. A hub with moving nylon gears inside will not last too long if you are punishing it through harsh terrain by stop start acceleration. Hubs are more useful when just using a throttle to drive you and mid drive better as pedal assist.

A powerful direct drive hub can be lots of fun but it can be like having an anchor on your rear wheel. Depends what you are going to be doing with bike( as said above).

years ago I ran dual drive hubs, one on front and one on back?

Last edited:

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm currently converting a bike using a kit from Grin Technologies. I was wondering if there were any mountain bike specific kits that anybody would recommend.

The one I'm converting from Grin is a hub motor. Could I do a hub motor for a mountain bike?

I always tended to buy separate tried and tested parts and then combine them together rather than buy kits. I've built bikes from 250w up to 14,000w it just depends what you want to achieve.

Grin Technologies sell very good parts and put lots of R&D into their products. You also get good advice and help from them. For the latest developments and experiments with motors/controllers and batteries the best place to get good product sand advice is on the forum Endless Sphere.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles