What should i do?

Dan__B

Dec 16, 2019
Dorset
Ive recently got a canyon neuron on which has a removable battery. When i lock my bike up should i remove the battery or leave it in? Which ones safer? Many thanks Dan

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Ive recently got a canyon neuron on which has a removable battery. When i lock my bike up should i remove the battery or leave it in? Which ones safer? Many thanks Dan

What do you mean by “which one is safer”? If you are suggesting to deter theft, removing the battery and putting somewhere else would add time to the thieving scums heist. If you are asking about electrical safety, there is little to no difference in safety when the bike is turned off.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
If you were a thief, stealing a heavy e-bike without a battery makes no sense. A. I can't ride it fast, and B. Who is going to pay for a stolen bike where they have to spend up to €1000 for a new battery before it is useable.
At home my bike is locked in the garage, but I take the battery into the house. In winter it won't freeze.
Direct sunlight is probably also not the best also.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I never ride my e-bike with its battery, it makes it much less interesting for anyone to steal it from me.

But in all seriousness, one great thing with the external battery is how easy it is to remove and take with you. It's just like a big heavy key !

If some scumbag does steal your bike, at least you hopefully end up with a spare battery out of the deal.

On the downside, if you take the battery off, the saddle mounted tazer might not work anymore.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Need to nip into town to pick up a micro SD card. Hope my bike will cope with this enormous extra weight I’ll be carrying on the way home ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles