Clueless...what replacement wheels should I get?

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Hello,

I’m looking to build or buy a ready to roll wheelset for my Focus Sam2. While converting the front wheel to Tubeless I discovered the rim join is bleeding air and is failing/failed.

I’m running RODI TRYP30, 30-622 rims with a Novatec D162 Disc, 12x148 mm rear hub and Novatec D041, 15x110 mm thru axle front hub...with SRAM kit.

I’m looking into getting a new set of wheels, but I’ve been out of touch with MTB for years, I’m feel rather clueless on brand, builds, etc. and I’d like some recommendations please!

Hopefully this provides some helpful info…

Mostly trail riding, but enjoy rough terrain (e.g. rocks, roots, DH) and will do some Enduro in the future
Not hitting any large jumps as I’ve not done that in years (I’ve gotten soft)
Ideally want something lighter than the RODI/Novatex kit
Ideally spend ~£500
I’ll switch to a mullet setup
I’m 73kg

I’ve seen great reviews for new brands like Silt and Hunt, and DT Swiss and Hope still going strong.

If anyone knows of a LBS/Wheel Builder to source from that would be great too.

Cheers for the help!

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Hello, I went for DT swiss H1700, ebike specific, so far they have been great.

Hey Geedog, thanks for the recommendation! I did a little research and I'm going to give them a go...I just can't find any online though! I'm going to phone around and see if anyone can source for me.

Also looked at Silt, which look awesome, but won't get any until November. Hunt also looks good and that may be my fallback option as I only have to wait until Sept :(

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Are you sure they were failing?

I have recently bought a set of DT Swiss PR1600 road wheels (sold as tubeless ready).

Out of the box, setting them up dry before putting in sealant, both front and rear wheels were leaky as hell at the rim joints.
Their service department said "they all do that sir", put the sealant in and they will be fine.

And they have been fine since (but wish I had gone for the Mavic's or Hunt's)

The sealants in, but its not an easy spot get filled in. I'm no expert so emailed RODI to ask this question a few days ago and hopefully they will get back to me with a view. Its quite a leak though!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Good to know! I assume you charge for your services. If I can get parts, I'll ping you!
Coolio. I'm not expensive because I do it so I don't have to watch crap TV in the house when I'm not riding. It stops me spending money on bike stuff I don't need ;)

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Can we be best friends?

if I send you parts or you send me wheels will your gov tax me/us?
Lol BFF
I think it depends where the parts are coming from and going.
beer-3633568_7edb3_hd.jpg

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Think I will start building wheels save me a fortune ??
Do it! It's such a fantastic skill to have, when it clicks you can knock up a pair of wheels in a couple of hours and repair stuff on the trail easily. You also become very popular with all your mates for some reason ?

Grab a copy of Roger Mussons wheel building book and a cheap second hand wheel from somewhere and practice. You won't regret it.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Thanks Janc. The problem is I can’t find stock…well if anything! I’ll keep looking.
Contact hope direct and they will tell you when they have availability. Mine took 4 months.
If you're really stuck I might consider letting go of my DT H1700 as it's in great condition. It's 29".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles