What is going on with Shimano motors

KTMJack

Dec 9, 2021
Oakley Ca.
Do i have to replace the motor every year now my wifes bike just took a crap today It's not even a year old They better get these things right
Now what motor does not have problems

Last edited:

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Do i have to replace the motor every year now my wifes bike just took a crap today It's not even a year old They better get these things right
Now what motor does not have problems
Yamaha has the least amount of problems. So if you need the most reliable motor buy Yamaha. People keep sayin all the motors have problems trying to defend the less reliable motors, but the truth is you will likely never have problems with Yamaha motor and you will likely have problems at some point with any another brand.

If Yamaha will let you down then any other motor will do it for you even earlier.

If you are looking for a workhorse and not a garage princess then definitely look at to Yamaha.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Do you think it might be any coincidence one of the least commonly spec'd EMTB motors used on an absolutely tiny amount of genuinely seriously capable Emountainbikes
Yamaha has the least amount of reported problems.
:unsure:

I'm not trying to defend any motors BTW. They all have different riding traits, pros and cons and will all eventually fail.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Eventually fail and fail within a year is a big difference.

We are talking here about failing withing a year of active using, we are not talking about eventually fail. Eventually fail is a term does not make sense because of eventually fail can be 1 year of active usage for one brand and 10 years of active usage for another brand. But 1 year is not equal to 10 years. And you try to equalize the motors using the term does not make sense.

If I understand correct the topic starter is not interested in the motor will not fail eventually (which does not exist), but he is interested in the motor has reasonable chances not to fail within a year or maybe even 2 years. And such motor exists, and the chances not to fail within a year for that motor are significantly higher than for Shimano motors.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yamaha has the least amount of problems. So if you need the most reliable motor buy Yamaha.
Sorry, going to continue my stalking if you're going to continue to talk complete bollox ...

Here's just one users experience of Giant ownership/yamaha motors and he's certainly not alone so please stop being unrealistic. Hopefully the new PW-X3 will be a huge improvement over the X2.

Collected brand new: Feb 7th 2020.
This bike was a trade up for my rejected MY19 E+3Pro Which had a hub, a motor, a fork, 3 controllers and was generally nothing but trouble. 🤨

5th March = Ride One Controller failure (FLED28-10)
Had to wait a week for a new one to come

New one fitted and lost auto mode and ANT+ as they installed controller for a 2019 bike. (FLED28-07)
Had to wait again for a 2nd one to arrive.

25th March. = Speed sensor failure.
(Cracked plug due to placement in casing)
2 weeks wait. New one fitted 10th April.

15th June = Battery failure.
3 weeks wait until 6th July for a new one so bought a spare at same time.
That came faster than the warranty unit.

20th July = Motor bearings failure. (1st motor failure)
4 weeks wait until 21st August for her 2nd motor to be fitted.

20th July = Dropper post changed under warranty whilst it was in.

6th September = Ride One Controller failure
1 week wait until new one arrived 14th September (FLED28-10)

22nd November = Motor failure (2nd Motor failure)
26th November, her 3rd motor was installed.

14th December = Ride One Controller failure
1 week wait until 20th December. (FLED28-15 this time.)

18th January 21 = Dropper post failure again. (twists)
Shop said it needs to be sent to Giant for inspection which I wasn’t willing to do as I would have no bike.
I found a service kit for sale in USA so bought it and fixed it myself. Why cant these be available in UK?

19th May 21 = Motor bearings failure again. (3rd Motor failure)
Claim initialised by the shop and told week 29. Week 29 arrived and then told week 33. (16th Aug week)

18th Aug 2021 = her 4th Motor installed.
This time it was installed with brand new RCone (FLED28-15) new upgraded loom, new UPGRADED battery discharge connector and identical but new charging port plus the battery shim mod for good measure. Then it was all waterproofed with liquid insulator for good measure as always.

And Bearing Man's response to your seemingly Yamaha Sponsored endless drivel ..

Sorry @TPEHAK Not sure where you're getting your info from? But I feel I must point out a couple of things. Plastic gears are used in most ebike motors for noise suppression, weight and cost. It is not a safety consideration and will not shear even if you put the brakes full on and pedal in 1st gear until the bike stops.

Bosch plastic gears from Gen 2 onwards will not degrade in the lifetime of the motor. We have seen so many old high mileage (50,000 Miles +) motors now with no visible issues. In fact, the only time I have ever seen a plastic gear fail has been when the main motor bearing has collapsed and the owner has tried to keep going once all the bearings balls had dropped out! For information:
Gen 1 gears occasionally crack due to excess pressure from the boss they are pressed onto.
Gen 2 gears do not fail.
Gen 3 The large plastic drive gear can shear its teeth the same as the Yamaha does, but very rare as only fitted to road and gravel bikes.
Gen 4 do not use any plastic gears.

Yamaha are actually one of the only manufacturers that do produce a service manual for all their motors! These show motor parts torque settings, grease type and where it should be applied etc. Other manuals for Japanese bikes show internal motor part numbers etc. This information is not supplied for the EU though. I don't know why you are allowed to fix your Yamaha motor in some countries and not others? It maybe EU law or more likely commercial suicide to admit your motor required intervention when all others don't.
Parts are available, you can find new internal parts on our website for example and we can order most internal parts if you require them.

Proof of service requirement would be the fact, that without fresh lubrication, the bronze bush bearings that support the crankshaft through the large steel drive gear will wear the crankshaft away without fresh grease every 1500 - 2000 Miles.

Taken from :

KTMJack

Dec 9, 2021
Oakley Ca.
We took it back to were we bought it
They said it was modified and it might be warrantyable It has nothing done outside Shimano We bumped up eco a little with E Tube WiFi that is it .
She was so pissed off she went and bought a 22 Specalized Evo comp with a Brose motor

Last edited:

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Manufacturers should spend 400g or so to make a proper sealing, robust connectors etc instead of spending 400g in stupid battery locks (bosch) or adding another marketing friendly 100Wh to the capacity. And they should enhance the serviceability of their motors. i guess 1% of bikeshops know what to do

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Manufacturers should spend 400g or so to make a proper sealing, robust connectors etc instead of spending 400g in stupid battery locks (bosch) or adding another marketing friendly 100Wh to the capacity. And they should enhance the serviceability of their motors. i guess 1% of bikeshops know what to do
From what I understand, the problem with hermetically sealing the motor to prevent water ingress is that it will overheat leading to a whole batch of other problems. Robust connectors certainly makes sense though.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Yamaha has the least amount of problems. So if you need the most reliable motor buy Yamaha. People keep sayin all the motors have problems trying to defend the less reliable motors, but the truth is you will likely never have problems with Yamaha motor and you will likely have problems at some point with any another brand.

If Yamaha will let you down then any other motor will do it for you even earlier.

If you are looking for a workhorse and not a garage princess then definitely look at to Yamaha.
please show your statistical evidence.
Failing that, the mods would be wise to add "sponsored post" to anything you post, since its purpose is to influence.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles