STUnlocker iOS App for Shimano motors is available

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
Got STunlocker for Android after I got my bike. Seems like my bike already had a license. Did the usual thing to get a bit more speed. I haven't tested the speed yet and the speedometer is not showing the correct speed for sure, but I don't think it's nearly at max.I think it's a great software and the price is right. Good job vadll!

Can anybody here tell me what's the real world difference between FW 4.8 and something that allows max speed? Is it worth downgrading the firmware on a YT Decoy? I live in an area that has pretty much zero elevation, but a lot of nature and trails. Would love to go full blast in the tractor roads (fire roads). :) Maybe it would help with the motor shutting off when pedalling like crazy at full speed, too.

EDIT: looks like the Decoy isn't compatible with the max speed allowing firmware anyway, so never mind.

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Can anybody here tell me what's the real world difference between FW 4.8 and something that allows max speed? Is it worth downgrading the firmware on a YT Decoy? I live in an area that has pretty much zero elevation, but a lot of nature and trails. Would love to go full blast in the tractor roads (fire roads). :) Maybe it would help with the motor shutting off when pedalling like crazy at full speed, too.

EDIT: looks like the Decoy isn't compatible with the max speed allowing firmware anyway, so never mind.

Sure - the "real world difference" is that you still get pedal assist even if you pass 20mph.
What that functionality is "worth" is up to you and what you think it's worth.
The ability to downgrade firmware has nothing to do with the make/model of the bike, you need the compatible drive unit.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I mean... the YT Decoy uses the older display/control unit, there fore it is incompatible with the downgrade.

Which "older display/control unit" are you referring to exactly? Not sure where you're getting your information from, but the Shimano EW-EN100, SC-E6100, SC-E7000, SC-E8000 display units are all compatible with E-Tube. E-Tube is what you use to do the downgrade, not ST Unlocker.

...unless you're mixing up compatibility between what "E-Tube" works with (All of them) compared to what "E-Tube Ride" (totally different app) works with (all except the SC-E8000).

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
Apologies for the mix up. What I meant was that I thought the firmware that allows the max speed setting with the app is not compatible with the 7000 series display/controller.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Apologies for the mix up. What I meant was that I thought the firmware that allows the max speed setting with the app is not compatible with the 7000 series display/controller.

If you really want to adjust the top speed but don't have the SCE-8000 display, the best way to do it is to pick up an EN-EW100 (less than $100 online). I think I remember seeing someone say that once you make the top speed adjustment you can switch back to the SCE-7000 display if you really want the display.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The iOS App got the same features as Android version (Statistics, Black Box and Regulation log (EP8))
The 1.11.51 posted to AppStore...

1.png 2.png

Jonzy

Jul 4, 2020
devon
Is it possible to tune the motor with the app to get 300% assist in trail, like you do in boost? I'm sure I read the in trail the max assist was 100% regardless, I didn't know if the app allowed you to bypass this?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Is it possible to tune the motor with the app to get 300% assist in trail, like you do in boost? I'm sure I read the in trail the max assist was 100% regardless, I didn't know if the app allowed you to bypass this?
Yes. Why not?

Jonzy

Jul 4, 2020
devon
I guess because of what I had read that via the etube app the most assistance possible in trail was 100% and no more, but it's great to know I can set it to 200 % or higher now in trail , thanks

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I guess because of what I had read that via the etube app the most assistance possible in trail was 100% and no more, but it's great to know I can set it to 200 % or higher now in trail , thanks

That's because you're looking at what the E-Tube app will only let you do.
With STUnlocker you can set ECO, Trail, and Boost at 300% and 70Nm if you really want to.

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
So I successfully wound back the firmware from 4.9.0 to 4.8.0. Usability of stunlocker has been restored, with no noticeable effect on the bike itself. One thing I will say is that when you do it using Shimano's e-tube project, it makes you think you've bricked the motor as it says the new firmware cannot be accepted. However it reverts back to the previous known firmware, 4.8.0. When you connect stunlocker this shows as the firmware in the version when you view the bikes data

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Just found this thread, excellent work vadII! I'm new to eBikes and have just updated the firmware in my bike. Looks like I will need to downgrade when I get home so I can use this app.

I haven't seen it mentioned so I assume the app doesn't allow for the toque of the motor to be increased above the standard 70Nm? I'll purchase the app on my opartners iPhone, it did the update in E-Tube much better than my Android (which failed stopped me using the bike until I tried the iPhone).

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just found this thread, excellent work vadII! I'm new to eBikes and have just updated the firmware in my bike. Looks like I will need to downgrade when I get home so I can use this app.

I haven't seen it mentioned so I assume the app doesn't allow for the toque of the motor to be increased above the standard 70Nm? I'll purchase the app on my opartners iPhone, it did the update in E-Tube much better than my Android (which failed stopped me using the bike until I tried the iPhone).

No.

But you can increase total power by the percentage multiplier beyond what the stock STEPS software caps it at, at your own risk of course.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
@vadll, can you describe some of the changes made in the latest update to Stunlocker? Specifically around EP8 and EP8 RS adjustments.

Thanks!
Ep8 RS has torque and power limits. It's software restricted by 60Nm and has power limit 350W even for a Boost mode.
So the new version of STUnlocker has the new feature to change those limiters. But it's not tested yet...

Yazid Yakub

Jan 15, 2021
Borneo
Hi there vadll,
Would you have the android app in apk version? It appears that my country/region do not have it the google play store.
Thanks and regards,
yaz

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
Hi Vadll, i have STunlocker on my current motor, i have bought a New spare motor, if i get another STunlocker code from you will it interfere with the one that i already have in any way? same bike 2 motors (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles