STUnlocker iOS App for Shimano motors is available

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
So I successfully wound back the firmware from 4.9.0 to 4.8.0. Usability of stunlocker has been restored, with no noticeable effect on the bike itself. One thing I will say is that when you do it using Shimano's e-tube project, it makes you think you've bricked the motor as it says the new firmware cannot be accepted. However it reverts back to the previous known firmware, 4.8.0. When you connect stunlocker this shows as the firmware in the version when you view the bikes data

I've just tried rolling back my f/w from 4.9 to 4.8 using the android bluetooth method; I've followed all the steps in the instruction doc' and the youtube video and can see the new 5.8 f/w files stored on my phone as specified, when the etube app is connected to the bike it can also see the new 5.8 f/w available for loading to the bike. However, when I attempt to carry out the update, I get 'f/w file for DU-E8000 is void. Download the latest version of s/w?' message. Wifi and mobile reception have been switched off prior to the rollback as instructed.
Anyone (Vadll / Raine?) got any thoughts or guidance on what's amiss here?
Thanks in anticipation

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I've just tried rolling back my f/w from 4.9 to 4.8 using the android bluetooth method; I've followed all the steps in the instruction doc' and the youtube video and can see the new 5.8 f/w files stored on my phone as specified, when the etube app is connected to the bike it can also see the new 5.8 f/w available for loading to the bike. However, when I attempt to carry out the update, I get 'f/w file for DU-E8000 is void. Download the latest version of s/w?' message. Wifi and mobile reception have been switched off prior to the rollback as instructed.
Thanks in anticipation
It's because you didn't copy ALL files from archive into your phone

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
It's because you didn't copy ALL files from archive into your phone
OK thanks - the ones I've got are:

2DUE8000-D.5.8.0.dat x 2 (both 83.11kb with date of 9/9/2020)
2DUE8000-M.5.7.1.dat (112kb dated 17/9/20)
2DUE8000-D.5.7.1.dat (110kb dated 17/9/20)

They were all d/loaded from the 'Downgrade original firmware of a STEPS motor using E-Tube App' document which I assumed either yourself or Raine had authored so any idea what's missing?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Archive contains 4 files:
1614775105401.png

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I've no idea why you got such messages. But it means only one: you did something wrong.
Yep....that's exactly what I've got on my phone (all stored under Android/Data/........./FW/). When I fire up E-tube on the phone and open 'Updates' I can see an update available for the motor but when I go to install it I get the aforementioned message.

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
It was a link on a reply from Vadll, I think, to a question from another member about downgrading f/w which, unfortunately, I can't locate at the moment but it gave step by step instructions and also gave this link to the earlier version f/w - .
The document also gave a link to a procedural Youtube video at All the steps were managed successfully up to the point of transferring to the bike (from Samsung Galaxy S10+ if it makes any difference) when I get the error message. Still puzzled but holding back on further attempts for fear of bricking the bike:oops:
Thanks

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Raine - just found the linked instructional document but still trying to locate the post which gave it:

I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that either yourself or vadll were the authors?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Raine - just found the linked instructional document but still trying to locate the post which gave it:

I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that either yourself or vadll were the authors?

Well for sure it's not me...I was just asking to see if whoever wrote it was claiming to be me.
I did make a downgrade guide/package back when I was still in charge of the ST Unlocker manual (not anymore), but I decided not to release the guide... it looked like this (heh):

dg_screenie.jpg

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
when I get the error message.
What is the error message? Why did you posted link to .EXE file with FWs, instead of ZIP file which is suitable for Android/iOS?
Anyway, this manual is 100% correct and should work for EVERYONE

Still puzzled but holding back on further attempts for fear of bricking the bike
This is some strange fear of using the official Shimano E-Tube App, which Shimano themselves advertise everywhere, including for firmware updates...

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
What is the error message? Why did you posted link to .EXE file with FWs, instead of ZIP file which is suitable for Android/iOS?
Anyway, this manual is 100% correct and should work for EVERYONE

This is some strange fear of using the official Shimano E-Tube App, which Shimano themselves advertise everywhere, including for firmware updates...
The error message was detailed in my original question a few posts back. I posted the link containing the .exe's in response to raine's query about the document I referred to - not sure what the issue is to be honest? And as far as the accuracy of the manual is concerned - what manual? I followed a document which was linked in a post about downgrading Shimano f/w and it didn't work for me - end of. And as far as a strange fear of using the E-tube app - not on my part, just a fear of bricking my bike if it fails;)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
just a fear of bricking my bike if it fails;)

Dude, just to be direct here - everyone who says what you just said should not try the downgrade. Just use the tuning parts of the app and enjoy the extra features, and let go of trying to derestrict because derestriction is pushing your system to do things it wasn't meant to do.

We see this over and over... someone tries the downgrade, encounters a problem, then blames the STUnlocker app (or posts in this thread) which is funny because you don't even use the STUnlocker app to downgrade! Doing a firmware downgrade is through the E-Tube app... and has nothing to do with requiring the STUnlocker app. It's a totally separate situation. And there's a reason why there's not a definite "how-to" on derestricting, because it's not foolproof.

The fact of the matter is this: YES - there is a chance you will brick your bike if it fails. There is NO GUARANTEE and NO FOOLPROOF way to derestrict. People get it done with zero problems, other people brick their bikes. People derestrict and upgrade and derestrict over and over with no errors, and other people fail at their first try and have to find a Shimano dealer equipped to reset the STEPS system. And likewise, YES - there is a chance that if you brick or damage your system, Shimano will know, and can void your warranty. Once again, you're modifying what was intended, and the STEPS system logs a lot of data that the user cannot access or erase. Well guess what? Part of that data can easily tell Shimano if the system ran beyond the normal parameters.

Anyhow, no one knows where you got your firmware files from (do you even know who the source is?) but if you're having trouble, for all you know that might be the problem. Try FW from a different source.

P.S. Yes, my last post was a .jpg, and if you read the text I clearly explained why :cool:

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Hey guys - maybe just chill!! To clarify - I wasn't trying to downgrade in order to derestrict my bike, it's already running on US speed restrictions; the problem I was attempting to resolve was an occasional system error which I believe stems from a recent 4.9 upgrade. At no point have I blamed Stunlocker for anything or suggested shortcomings in the application. And just to clarify, I do not have any warranty concerns as it's expired, I was simply asking a question about a procedure that has generated a fair amount of questions on this forum and which didn't perform as expected following the 'manual' that vadll quotes (which also contains the f/w files he listed in a post above to answer the point about their source in the last para above). As stated in an earlier post on this subject - I'm no longer pursuing the downgrade just in case it does 'brick the bike'.
In the interests of Customer Service advice, I'll just add a final comment before I bow out on this subject - writing as someone who's paid for the Stunlocker upgrade, the aftersales support (not directly requested I might add) received from the Stunlocker development team on a pretty simple question has been somewhat less than constructive:confused:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend(y)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
In the interests of Customer Service advice, I'll just add a final comment before I bow out on this subject - writing as someone who's paid for the Stunlocker upgrade, the aftersales support (not directly requested I might add) received from the Stunlocker development team on a pretty simple question has been somewhat less than constructive:confused:

LOL "constructive" what? Jesus... :LOL: maybe "chill" with the "paying customer" response. That has nothing to do with the course of the current conversation. You're not my customer. I am not part of some "development team". Remember - you're the one who originally said:

...and that's what happened. You asked something in the STUnlocker thread about the E-Tube app and rolling back firmware... referencing a doc on the Internet that was not from anyone here...

...and I decided to give you my thoughts, because you asked for it.

It's simple.

GLHF (y)

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
Hi, I have an EP8 RS motor on firmware 4.1.2 and stunlocker app (not premium yet). If I want to change the region am I right in thinking the process is:

1. Downgrade to DU-EP800 FW 4.0.2 (using file linked in document above)
2. License stunlocker and change region
3. Use Shimano app to upgrade FW back, it will maintain new region setting

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi, I have an EP8 RS motor on firmware 4.1.2 and stunlocker app (not premium yet). If I want to change the region am I right in thinking the process is:

1. Downgrade to DU-EP800 FW 4.0.2 (using file linked in document above)
2. License stunlocker and change region
3. Use Shimano app to upgrade FW back, it will maintain new region setting
Yes

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I’ve decided to stick with the Shimano app for my EP8 RS - no point in risking warranty issues at this stage. On my previous bike, I needed Stunlocker to change the wheel diameter when I switched between 27.5” and 29er wheels. New bike is 29er only, already set to USA limit, and the Shimano app lets me tweak the settings I need. But Stunlocker is a great utility and I’m appreciative that Vadll created it!

JBarras

Mar 28, 2021
United Kingdom
I’ve decided to stick with the Shimano app for my EP8 RS - no point in risking warranty issues at this stage. On my previous bike, I needed Stunlocker to change the wheel diameter when I switched between 27.5” and 29er wheels. New bike is 29er only, already set to USA limit, and the Shimano app lets me tweak the settings I need. But Stunlocker is a great utility and I’m appreciative that Vadll created it!
Appreciate this feedback. Ive found myself held back a lot with the EU/UK 15mph limit. So im mostly intrigued about increasing this, even if just to USA 20mph.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles