What do you pack for a daily ride?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My rides are between 15 and 30 miles and I almost always ride out from home vs driving somewhere.

I pack:

Spare inner tube, 4 air canisters with valve attachment, spare chain link, spare tubeless valve, 4 tyre levers, tubeless and normal puncture repair kit, parktool, 4 zip ties and a spare cable. All fits in bag under seat.

The last 2 were from experience. I rode the South Downs way in a day in 2012 and lost my front derailleur cable 20 miles in so had the granny ring only for the remaining 80 miles great for the ups but not the downs .

I stupidly rode the SDW again in 2014 and my newly LBS-built Whyte shed a bolt from the brake calliper and rode 50-odd miles with it cable-tied.

IMG_0340.jpg

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just a multitool, tubeless tyre plugs, co2 cans and chain quicklink for most rides for me.

I used to take the kitchen sink, but these days don't seem to need much, not sure if bikes are more robust or I'm riding with more care

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Camelbak which also contains snack bars, multi tool, co2 canisters X2, plug it repair kit, spare glasses in case I get lost and need to look at phone. (y)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Even though I live on the doorstep of some fantastic riding ..very few of my rides start from home as I like a bit of variety ..Im a kitchen sink kind of rider with all sorts of crap in my Camelbak Hawg ( Holds A lot of Water and Gear )..just in case .
The journey there and back is as much part of the day out as the ride itself ..as I get to play in my "Sunday Car " instead of the workday commuter ..?

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
If your battery requires a key to remove it then make sure you always take it with you. I had a software lockout issue recently that could only be resolved with a hard reset via a battery removal. Limped back to the car on reduced power. If I'd had the key with me.......

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nah man. That’s what the hand held thermal is for.
You can find this in the woods. And it shows the hot spots too.... these float
I thought you only looked for damp patches, not warm patches ???

Useful for trail fault finding too .. yup - that ones working - no one likes disc testing with their tongue ..

brake.png

Or working out which limb you've injured if your too numb to tell .. ??!!

warm.png

Or tracking ..

tracking.png

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What do you have a thermal camera for - is it a equine bit of kit?
That's a FLIR. Bought it years ago for "equine fault diagnostics". For what they are, they're not expensive, or at the time certainly weren't compared to the other flir's. That one just plugs into your mobile usb connector. They do USB/USB C/Iphone bla bla .. Have to use it with an old phone now as the new one is USB-C. Paid for itself a dozen times over once you learn how to interpret what you're seeing.

It's great for all sorts though, like building thermal insulation :

Outside of a 2ft thick stone wall with a woodburner on the other side and a chimney liner running up inside a stone chimney. The dark horizontal line must be an old chestnut lintel they built into the wall when they built it 300 years before - so you can almost see through things :cool:

woodburner.png

Or finding draughts/other poorly insulated areas :

The access/boarding sections over the top of an electric window roller shutter built into a porch.

cold.png

Or seeing where the heat is on an emtb ... this is a hub drive decathlon after a climb. Interestingly, the hot spots are the chain, the controller and the ally frame under the controller which acts as a heat sink . The other hot spot, which you can't see on that picture, is the power cable running to the motor.

decathlon.png

Haven't tried it to find ladies on a ride yet though, so I'm obviously not using it to it's full potential ! :)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My rides are between 15 and 30 miles and I almost always ride out from home vs driving somewhere.

I pack:

Spare inner tube, 4 air canisters with valve attachment, spare chain link, spare tubeless valve, 4 tyre levers, tubeless and normal puncture repair kit, parktool, 4 zip ties and a spare cable. All fits in bag under seat.

The last 2 were from experience. I rode the South Downs way in a day in 2012 and lost my front derailleur cable 20 miles in so had the granny ring only for the remaining 80 miles great for the ups but not the downs .

I stupidly rode the SDW again in 2014 and my newly LBS-built Whyte shed a bolt from the brake calliper and rode 50-odd miles with it cable-tied.
4 air canisters and 4 tyre levers seems a bit OTT. I can see some logic with the co2 but 4 tyre levers? Whats that about?

I carry a Tubolito as a spare tube. Expensive but a 1/4 of the weight and size.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
4 air canisters and 4 tyre levers seems a bit OTT. I can see some logic with the co2 but 4 tyre levers? Whats that about?

I carry a Tubolito as a spare tube. Expensive but a 1/4 of the weight and size.

.....I usually break tyre levers hence the extra few grams I sacrifice to have a couple spare.

The logic with the CO2 is to be able to help others as I’ve been in the position where I’ve had to borrow off others or had 2+ punctures during a ride.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
My kit is fairly small but comprehensive and includes some first aid stuff which I've had to use a few times. Everyone seems to have their own ideas; I would recommend a rear mech hanger though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't actually "pack" anything for a ride at all.
All I need is always strapped to my frame in a Dakine hotlaps bag.
16083052826846850105806651015925.jpg

Inside this tiny little bag there's
2x tubes
Puncture repair kit, tyre patch and spare valve
2x CO2 & inflation head
2x quick links
Multi tool with all releva t Allen keys, torx, screwdriver, spoke key & chain tool
Seperate 10mm Allen key for my alu crank preload bolts
Zip ties
Money
Hi carb snack -(sweety chew bar)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles