For Sale (BIKE) 2022 Focus Sam2 XL with upgrades and spares and tools (UK)

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
This is, as a review of the sam2 accurately described it, a monster truck of a bike, 200mm of travel up front and 170mm at the back. A downhill bike that can be quite happily ridden all day as an enduro bike and goes up as well as anything else on the market. Currently running a mullet setup, which makes it more agile.

hkCZHL.jpg

VD6pA3.jpg

Jw89Ii.jpg

This is not a show queen bicycle, it has been used - -as it was designed to be used – principally riding in the Peak District and at bike parks. As anyone who has ridden in the Peak District knows it is very rocky, with lots and lots of loose rocks lying around. Loose rocks which get kicked up and hit the bike, so there are a few stone chips in the paintwork.

hq3Ycp.jpg

But the frame is 100% straight and structurally sound. The Sam2 frame is “DH5” rated, meaning it tough as old boots and can be used at international competition level and is still covered by the warranty.

The bike has covered, according to the Bosch health check printout, 1,255 miles in 355 hours of being switched on. That’s an average speed of about 3.5 mph, but there’s been an awful lot of standing around going “I’m never riding up/down/across that!” and then “How did I manage to ride up/down/across that?” and telling everyone in earshot just how awesome I and the bike are….

It is 100% mechanically sound, it is straight and stops and goes and shifts perfectly.

I’m a smidge over 6”/1.83m tall and it is the perfect size for me.

I bought it about 18 months ago, as the second owner, and have loved riding it all over the UK and modifying it into the bike it is now. But a new job, with a lot of travel around Europe, means I’m not getting the chance to ride it (twice in the last 10 weeks) and I’ve already got a motor bike in the garage that’s not getting ridden and a wife (not in the garage, yet) who would not be impressed if I had an electric mountain bike I didn’t ride either.

I’ve got all paperwork for the bike and an extensive list of original parts and spares and tools, some or all of which are included in the three package options I’m offering.

Standard bike only – returning the bike to as close as possible to standard condition; no upgraded parts, no spares, no tools. £2,900 ONO

Upgraded bike only – bike as it is now, with all the upgraded parts and standard parts; no spares, no tools - £3,700 ONO

Full package – bike as it is now with all upgraded parts, all standard parts, all spares, all tools. £4,350 ONO

The Bosch 625 battery sold with the bike has 41.5 charge cycles (batteries have always been stored discharged to prolong their life). I believe Bosch warranty the battery for 500 charge cycles.

Full diagnostic printout of motor, Purion and batteries shows no faults.

Shock recently serviced by LBS, ~5 hours use since service

All rear suspension bearings replaced with genuine, ~5 hours use since replacement

Drivetrain has less than 10 hours riding on it, chain has less than 2 hours

Upgraded parts

Rockshox Boxxer Ultimates, with custom CNC billet top yoke to allow fitment, ~5 hours use since fitment. There was nothing wrong with the Zeb’s fitted as standard, in terms of travel and damping, but being a larger bloke the amount of flex they were exhibiting was of concern. So went for the Boxxers to stiffen up the front end, which they have done superbly.

t4zgRi.jpg

Custom stainless steel bash guard for the motor

Z6JxbV.jpg

Hope Fortus 30 – Pro 4 wheelset, 29” front/27.5” rear
Hope Tec4 V4 brakeset and 220mm floating disks

aF9rbg.jpg

6BdrnB.jpg

Hope chainring
Hope lower headest/Cane Creek upper headset
Renthal stem and bars
DMR deathgrip grips
Acerbis hand guards
Charge Spoon saddle
Speedbox derestrictor (invisible to Bosch when bike is plugged in to dealer diagnostics)
M647 SPD pedals
Currently running Magic Mary tubeless set up front and rear

Spares

Bosch 625 powertube battery (11.5 charge cycles)
Bosch 2A charger
Rockshox Zeb forks
Rockshox bits – standard top yoke for Boxxers, direct mount Renthal stem for regular bars, direct mount Renthal stem for fat bars, spare tokens, hope front hub spacers/adaptors for Zeb axle, syringes/bleed kit and stickers
Standard Focus 29” wheelset
Maxxis tyre selection – BNIB Minion DHRII 27.5x2.4, used Minion DHF 27.5”x2.5, used Minion DHF 29”x2.5, used Dissector 27.5”x2.4
2x fully functional Bosch Purion controllers with broken bar clamps. TBH I’m not sure why I’ve kept these other than the feeling that it’s ridiculous throwing away £180 worth of parts that just need someone to figure out how to repair the clamps. The fragility of the Purion clamp is why I fitted the Acerbis hand guards.
Focus stem and headset parts – the standard Focus stem and headset routes the cable through the stem and headset for a clean look, but it makes maintenance a pain and the standard headset isn’t great quality.
Focus rear suspension parts – a variety of spare pivots and bolts and the rear caliper bracket which goes with the flip chip in the rear dropout to allow the rear ride height to be adjusted (currently running in the higher position to compensate for the longer Boxxer forks)
Chains – lightly used SRAM 12 spd chain cut to length to suit the flip chip being in the lower position and BNIB KMC 12spd chain
SPD pedals – M540 pedals and numerous sets of BNIB cleats
Hope spares – 3x sets of BNIB V4 sintered pads, 2x sets of BNIB V4 organic pads, 2x sets of BNIB V4 e-bike pads plus a few cable end olives and washers and bar clamp parts
SRAM spares – NX Eagle 12spd cassette and front chainring
Lights – a set of Chinese Cree LED front lights with remote battery pack and charger which are good enough for night off road riding and won’t see you sobbing if they get trashed in a crash plus 2x LED rear lights (Knog & Cateye)
Kryptonite evolution D-lock and extender

Tools

Folding work stand
Track pump
Airshot cannister (for seating tubeless tyres)
Rockshox air pump
Mini pump
Multitool
Chain splitter
Chain pliers
Chain wear tool
Rocket racing bearing extraction/press tool and all adaptors for Focus Sam2 rear suspension
Chain whip
Crank extractor
2x freehub tools
Bosch motor sprocket lock ring tool
SRAM mech setting tool
Hope Tec3 & Tec4 adaptors and bleeding pot and fluid
Muc Off dry and wet chain lube
Stans sealant
Various inner tubes, rim tape and tubeless valves

Bike is in the Peak District, about 10 miles from Derby, and I'm happy to deliver anywhere in mainland UK.

Lots more photo's of the bike and parts and tools available, happy to email them.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles