What did you do to your EBike this week?

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
We have a what did you buy for your ebike thread, but I don't see a What did you do to your ebike thread

So here it is

Mods delete if not applicable

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
I found that I had one loose bolt doing the job of three bolts to hold my battery in place, so I dug up replacements and loctited (blue) them in. I also dabbed a dot of black paint on the side of each so I can quickly confirm trailside that they arent spinning out.

Every other bolt on the bike has a piece of tape on the frame next to it. I put a painted dot on the tape, and on the bolt head, to again demonstrate to me trailside whether any of them are spinning out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just about to replace the valve core on my rear tyre. I couldn't get air in or out of it last time I rode it.

That is probably why I noticed the new Muc-Off tubeless valve. It has a rotary valve in it pretty much like a ball valve on your waterpipes. I hope nothing hits it and turns the valve to open!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/muc-off-big-bore-tubeless-valves

If you Google "Muc-off tubeless valves", all you will find is the current offering, even the "All New" tubeless valves.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Just about to replace the valve core on my rear tyre. I couldn't get air in or out of it last time I rode it.

That is probably why I noticed the new Muc-Off tubeless valve. It has a rotary valve in it pretty much like a ball valve on your waterpipes. I hope nothing hits it and turns the valve to open!

If you Google "Muc-off tubeless valves", all you will find is the current offering, even the "All New" tubeless valves.

What an utterly bloody brilliant idea. About time! Good find :)

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Took mine out for a ride haha 😛
been a while with one thing or another. Thrashed it to an inch of its life

But had a mint day oot

IMG_5741.jpeg

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA

Won’t be available till this summer some time according to the press release. MUC-OFF NEW BIG BORE VALVES DESIGNED FOR RIDERS LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE HIT

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
1000006851.jpg

Just added a prototype mudstop made of duct tape for this morning's ride. There is slack in the center, with reversed duct tape under it so it moves freely.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Waited until the end of winter to secure the mudguard properly with zip ties rather than velcro strapping. Made an extension of it to cover the pivot area too (bit like above) but out of a old inner tube attached to the bottom of the mud guard.

Extended the pistons, cleaned and lubed with brake fluid on the Maguras.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Just adjusted the high limit screw on my AXS and added air to my forks and shock

Also applied WPL to the stanchions ready for tomorrow at Dyfi

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from replacing a gunged-up Presta valve core, I have done nothing to my bike. It is still sitting there cover in mud. It reproaches me every time I go into the garage, which is at least twice per day. Maybe I should just leave it outside in the rain?

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
A good spring clean.

Put dry weather lube on the chain for the first time this year.

Fitted a new wider and with a smidgeon more rise handlebar.

Discovered rust while doing the above.

20240428_165229.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Waited until the end of winter to secure the mudguard properly with zip ties rather than velcro strapping. Made an extension of it to cover the pivot area too (bit like above) but out of a old inner tube attached to the bottom of the mud guard.

Extended the pistons, cleaned and lubed with brake fluid on the Maguras.
Just a heads up regarding zip-ties over a painted frame. A zip-tie had worn through the paint and partially into the carbon triangle. That was an expensive lesson.

Now…When I attach fenders, I secure them with the Velcro first, then zip-tie over the Velcro strips. I know it’s a few more steps …but it does seem to protect the paint and whatever is under the paint. My fender is secure.

Also, a short rear fender helps protect the pivot area from rocks (the crushing noise can be horrendous).

Anyways, I lubed up everything that needs lubing…especially the forks, shock, chain etc.…bring on the DIRT!

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Replaced my rear pads with some used ones for next weekend at Dyfi Forest. The used pads have plenty of material left, not sure why I even removed them inthe first place, think I was trying out a new brand

Sanded down both rotors

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just a heads up regarding zip-ties over a painted frame. A zip-tie had worn through the paint and partially into the carbon triangle. That was an expensive lesson.

Now…When I attach fenders, I secure them with the Velcro first, then zip-tie over the Velcro strips. I know it’s a few more steps …but it does seem to protect the paint and whatever is under the paint. My fender is secure.

Also, a short rear fender helps protect the pivot area from rocks (the crushing noise can be horrendous).

Anyways, I lubed up everything that needs lubing…especially the forks, shock, chain etc.…bring on the DIRT!
I put helicopter tape under the velcro!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah, I think any type of paint protection is helpful. It seems to be the very small vibration motion against the paint surface. Velcro and/or zip-ties work well …but some kind of paint protection is needed.
Add in layer of fine abrasive from the mud that we collect (or dust in the Summer) and you have a nice grinding going on. It wouldn't take long to wear away the paint and the carbon underneath.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Add in layer of fine abrasive from the mud that we collect (or dust in the Summer) and you have a nice grinding going on. It wouldn't take long to wear away the paint and the carbon underneath.
Hmmm 🤔? Makes me think that a heli-tape, or something similar, would be a better first layer.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
heli tape for zip tie protection!!......invisiframe is not man enough!!

I replaced the presta valve inserts............cheap and easy to do every couple of months. I do wonder with the new Muc-Off valves if they are too long in order to house the rotory valve? Too long = liable to catch sticks etc. Obviously a lot heavier as well :ROFLMAO: .

I decided to tempt fate and remove the long mudhugger now. I run the long one over the top of a Frx Mudhugger in order to maintain full protection (and so I can run with or without the large mudhugger as weather dictates....using re-useable zip ties) but the FRX had to be removed as well for a good clean up and new zip ties.

I have also changed both my Fork ( Fox 38 Performance ELite) and Shock ( Float X Performance Elite) settings. I have lost weight this winter and from now on expect to be wearing fewer layers as well, so I have reduced air pressure in both a little and reset compression and rebound accordingly. A short test ride felt good but a proper ride in the forest later this week will be a better guide to see if it all works well on drops and jumps.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
1) Got it out of long term storage and went for a ride but the chain decided to explode (chain that had stretched and worn the cassette, so I'd been putting off a much needed full replacement drivetrain)
2) Replaced drivetrain
3) Stuffed the front wheel into a wheel trap (and OTB)
4) Set up suspension
5) Rode the snot out of it
6) Decided to benchmark against my analogue bike by switching off the power on a local descent (that starts with an uphill bit); went faster than the analogue (all down to the corners, apparently) by quite a bit.

To-do:
More 5. Less 3.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Waited for it to come back from being repaired! Only levo owner who has reliable electrics but every other part is failing. AXS clutch went during last weeks mini enduro at bike park wales :cry:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles