What stupid thing did you do with your bike this week?

Nakiri

Feb 14, 2022
Brazil
Not "with" my bike, but for it...
There's a small trail near home. From time to time it need some maintenance, like cutting branches, tapping rain holes... and so.

Last week me and my sons went to the trail to cut some branches. Well, we suffer bee attack. Even with some stings, I was decided to finish the job. But the bees were decided to not let me finish...

Conclusion: after several stings, I've decided to let the job to the next week... lol
f1ff229d-f3bb-40c9-a949-ed0b0a6ae8d9.jpg 105a8a1f-62f5-4b9c-92c7-505a27ce430d.jpg 9a4130d8-3ef4-4476-b51f-b0e593e7442c.jpg

fali

Feb 4, 2022
Sant Celoni
No "con" mi bici, sino para ella...
Hay un pequeño sendero cerca de casa. De vez en cuando necesita algún mantenimiento, como cortar ramas, perforar agujeros de lluvia... etc.

La semana pasada, mis hijos y yo fuimos al sendero a cortar algunas ramas. Bueno, sufrimos el ataque de las abejas. Incluso con algunas picaduras, estaba decidido a terminar el trabajo. Pero las abejas estaban decididas a no dejarme terminar...

Conclusión: después de varias picaduras, he decidido dejar el trabajo para la semana que viene... jajaja
View attachment 85890 View attachment 85891 View attachment 85892
[/CITA]
Tienes razon es Con pues mas estupidez aun es no cogerla desde hace 5 meses eso es una Gran estupidez

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I changed the pads on the DH bike , put it upside down and didn’t align the pin/pads so wasn’t attached. Rode it to bed them in and ……pads and oil shit itself 🤬

Marksou

Dec 24, 2021
Llanbedrog
Took the bottle cage off my turbo Levo and now can’t get the screws to go back in. Feels like they had nuts on the inside of the down tube, but that can’t be right. I can push them all the way in. Will have to take the battery out at some point and stick a torch up it 🤣

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It wasn't this week, but funny just the same.

I was changing headset bearings for the first time, ever. I had the front end of the bike off the ground, securely held in my workstand. I removed the stem bolts, then removed the topcap. I pulled off the bar&stem combo....and the front of the bike fell off! :oops: :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
It wasn't this week, but funny just the same.

I was changing headset bearings for the first time, ever. I had the front end of the bike off the ground, securely held in my workstand. I removed the stem bolts, then removed the topcap. I pulled off the bar&stem combo....and the front of the bike fell off! :oops: :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
^^^^ such a quick learning curve, this one, eh ? 😂👍^^^^

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Took the bottle cage off my turbo Levo and now can’t get the screws to go back in. Feels like they had nuts on the inside of the down tube, but that can’t be right. I can push them all the way in. Will have to take the battery out at some point and stick a torch up it 🤣
I have stuck a torch up mine (Levo downtube!) Looks like the nuts are welded in place and blocked off to prevent long screws interfering with the battery. If you can push screws all the way in and they have nothing to grab, you may have fucked something up.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I did an endo while riding along a lane next to my Wife on her Horse, I forgot for a brief second that Horse probably wouldn't like a sudden noise and some weird movements from the bike. He got spooked but no harm was done. I see a lot of horses on the trails and while most of them are used to bikes riding past them what they won't like is bunny hops, wheelies or anything that's sudden, noisy and out of the ordinary.

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
I did that too. You’ll find the piece when you get the battery out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My riding buddy had a bead split on his rear tyre. He found a decent rear tyre in the garage and spent 15 mins trying to fit it. It was a hot day and he was getting a bit irate with himself. He told himself it was because the tyre had a wire bead. Then he noticed it was a 26" tyre that he was trying to fit onto a 27.5" wheel! :ROFLMAO:

Marksou

Dec 24, 2021
Llanbedrog
So it took two of us to locate the nut plate (attached to a cable in the Levo down tube after removing the battery) and re-attach the bottle cage. I won't be doing this again in a hurry ;)

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Bought a used Lyrik & serviced it before fitting to the bike but not after washing my hands, Now I need to change the almost new brake pads. Doh!

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Been a while so here's a brace of stupid things i did with the bike today.
Sometimes i seriously can't believe i've been riding bikes for over 55 years 🫣.
Firstly, i went out for a 3 x loop ride of my local trail, 8 miles each. As i've previously mentioned i'd installed lovely bling red Uberbikes jockey wheels. Tested them at home, all good, nice and smooth.
Starting off on my first loop, almost immediately started having jump/skip probs with the chain but only on about 7,8& 9 of a 12 speed cassette. Above fine, below fine. 7,8&9 are where i spend most of my time so somewhat annoying.
Stopped and checked things over several times during the first 2 loops ( 16 miles!!). Didn't spot anything so just got on with it, trying to avoid 7,8&9 wherever possible. I was beginning to think the new jockey wheels had highlighted the need for new chain / cartridge, but the bikes only got about 650 miles on it - ah well, maybe 'cos it's electric ?
Anyway, before starting the 3rd loop i suddenly remembered i could tighten the gear cable up, so i did - 4 turns. That's half turns, so 2 full turns. 2 full turns!! - that did it - no more chain hop/skip for the entire 3rd loop. God knows how many hundreds of miles i've lost off the chain / cassette riding it like that!!!

So, the second stupid thing was during the course of the ride i kept getting the feeling things weren't quite as tight as usual. I stopped and gave it the old once over a couple of times but keeping in mind i was also having the problem detailed above i was getting somewhat confused and convinced that i'd literally run the bike into the ground and it was just getting knackered and rattley with abuse and lack of maintenance .
So, it was with great relief and even greater embarrassment when i hauled the bike out of the back of the car when i got home that i noticed the rear thru axle was undone!! 😱
God knows how long it had been like that and why the hell i hadn't spotted it during the numerous checks i'd been doing during the ride - i mean c'mon ffs - 1. How come i'm still alive and 2. Why do they let me have a bike ( and a car!!) - certainly explained that " not as tight as usual" feeling though.
I'm guessing the rear axle may have come unlocked when getting the bike out of the car upon arriving at the destination - may need to loosen the gear cable 2 whole turns 🙈.
It's always the elementary stuff that catches me out.

Can't wait to get out on it next week 😁👍😂😂😂

Last edited:

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Had my 1st OTB on my not even a week old Mondi Crafty. The worst part was it wasn't on a tricky trail. it was at a gated entrance to a gravel path , which appeared wide enough to cycle through but had a sneakily hidden concrete block in the undergrowth which grabbed my pedal as I rode past it yarking the bike to a stop whilst I serenely continued over the bars. Thankfully there were no bystanders or video evidence .

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've been chasing a knocking noise for months!
Multiple investigations, strip downs and most recently a fork strip and service. Nothing??
Putting the wheel back in the fork, bouncing it, there was a "sound"
I recently added inserts to the tyres for a trip to the lake district, yup causing a knocking sound, been driving me nuts. at least it wasnt expensive to fix.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I've been chasing a knocking noise for months!
Multiple investigations, strip downs and most recently a fork strip and service. Nothing??
Putting the wheel back in the fork, bouncing it, there was a "sound"
I recently added inserts to the tyres for a trip to the lake district, yup causing a knocking sound, been driving me nuts. at least it wasnt expensive to fix.
I'd NEVER have found that!!
Finding the bike is difficult enough some mornings 😂😂

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
My turn. Well, a low speed turn around to move from one trail to the next and brushed by a small spruce tree. Next thing I know. View attachment 94255
The torque on these bikes is no joke.
Our friend had that too, 25km from home.
So we chose a gear, shortened the chain, and he could continue on his 1-speed bike :)
(chain was somewhat bent and damaged too on 1 spot)

cp_erider

Aug 8, 2022
Peoria, Az
I have a Parkinson’s-like disease that causes a rare lapse in awareness. i have been biking for 35 years and when I get on my bike it’s like I’m the old me. I had a glorious ride full of grinding uphill singletrack, fast flowing downhill and even cleaned a chunky downhill that has scared me for a long time. So what was stupid about my ride? On the way home, i was doing 15mpg on a gravel path, just making my way thru the ’hood to home when I lost awareness for about 10 seconds and managed to tangle with fire hydrant head on. The hydrant didnt move, lol. But I launched. It was gruesome. Yada, yada.. I’m waiting on surgery to fuse a shattered L3. Top that for stupid! The bike? Giant Trance X full carbon with carbon wheels and Fox 36 Perf / DPS with Live Valve. Amazing setup. Carbon saves the day … It flexed but nothing broke miraculously. I’ll be back on my bike one way or another!

cp_erider

Aug 8, 2022
Peoria, Az
Rode over a stick...

Bloody XT mech. Anyone having better luck with slx?

Also, when are we getting gearboxes?

View attachment 96184
Wow… SLX is pretry solid tech. That must have been a serious stick! Sorry to see such carnage! I’ve been watching a company for a long time that makes an internally geared 14 speed hub (Rohloff). It’s stupid expensive but amazing tech. they even have an e bike version now but lack the gear ratios we need, I think, for serious trail riding. If nothing else, it’s a nice read about a drivetrain that eliminates the stick-destroying derailleur moments, lol.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles