What are the parameters i need to know for picking a bike light to wire in to my bike?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I need to get this sorted now the nights are drawing in.
I'll be having the shop I got the bike from doing the work, but I'd like to know whats the maximum output i can safely fit without drawing ridiculous amounts of power and losing too much range.
I was thinking either a magicshine MJ-906SE(£139+bosch cable) Or maybe an Exposure Fuse(£190) I'd probably prefer the magiclight given its cheaper and has a considerably higher lumen output, and ill still have to pay the shop to do it. I've no intention of trying this myself. I dont want to take any risks

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Personally I'd go with Exposure all the way for that price difference, quality and customer service should you get issues are second to none. Plus its not all about the quoted lumens, (real measured lumens is usually very different) its more about the spread!

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Firstly you'll need to know what voltage and what is the maximum rated amps allowed from your bike socket designed for a light. As the maximum rated amps is limited it's not likely to excessivley drain your bike battery. It will probably be just a couple of amps. i doubt if you'll be getting anything much above 2000 lumens If the voltage and amp limit equates to about 24 Watts.

Do you know the amp limit and voltage?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Do you know the amp limit and voltage?
Clueless. And I'm not even sure where I would get that information. But I would expect companies who make these lights, and sell bosch/Brose/Shimano etc compliant adapter cables to have made sure they work with their systems.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I know shimano e8000 has a wattage limit, it will not turn on a light that consumes too much the batterie.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
The bosch motor output can be set at 3/6/12 or 18 watts output for lights as well as 6/12 volts.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The bosch motor output can be set at 3/6/12 or 18 watts output for lights as well as 6/12 volts.
Thanks, 18watts (1.5 amp limit) is not a lot of power for a light to see with. Be fine if it's just to be seen.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles