Waterproof Flat MTB shoes

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks for all the suggestions...

Yes, Five10 are great, but they take, 5 to Ten days to bloody dry out once they are wet ?

My Freeriders are a good few years old, still perfect for most weather, but just retain water (bit like those Cannock trails yesterday!).

Agreed @Rob Hancill.
I have the Five Ten Freerider EPS ‘High’ versions
As you know, I live in Wales, it rains all the time here and that is why I wear the gaiters below over my Five Ten EPSs. I have not had wet feet in over 2 years ?????

Bike Gaiter Long

Best £25 I have ever spent ?

Keep my feet and shins warm and dry, they come in long and short, get the long/high ones as it gives you more protection. I don’t know about you but I have always found the shorter gaiters and overshoes above DO NOT stop water ingress from the MONSTER puddles/MINI lakes you sometimes hit on the trail.

Once you are familiar with them it takes 2-3 minutes to put them on. I use them with my flat pedals, they will last longer if you are clipped in as the pins from the flat PEDALS can damaged the elastic that runs underneath the sole of your shoe. That is the only downside to these gaiters but a bit of diy sowing replacement of the elastic and you are quickly back up and running. I have 2 pairs of these for that reason.

I am out on a ride tonight so I will take some ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots so you can all see how good these things are.

E90280CF-7303-4FC6-9B22-AF460384E998.jpeg

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes, Five10 are great, but they take, 5 to Ten days to bloody dry out once they are wet

Get yourself a couple of 12v PC fans and a small 12v power supply. Connect it all together, stuff fans in shoes overnight and they’re dry.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Getting a little of topic with respect to this thread but few people have suggested using shoes that are not specifically designed for mountain biking. I would truely recommend not doing this. Running and Trail shoes do not have mountain bike specific protection features, such as a reinforced toe box area, built in and could leave areas of your feet vulnerable to impact damage from rocks and other objects.

Point in case - Last weekend, whilst riding along a very narrow rocky trail cut into the side of a steep hillside above a river gorge I didn't see a small sapling stump sticking out of the ground. As it happened my right pedal was near at the bottom of the pedal stroke and my foot jammed between the sharp end of stump and the pedal. I came to a very abrupt stop and had it not been for the fact that my foot was jammed I would have exited out the front of the bike. My Five Tens Impacts took the full hit across the toe guard which also left a deep crease pressed into the padded toe box area. My toe inside inside the shoe directly under the impact area is slightly bruised but otherwise ok. Had I been wearing running or trail shoes the outcome I suspect would have been very different and I possibly could have lost a toe :eek:.
I have looked into this a fair bit with non MTB shoes being repurposed, and one of the reasons i went with the Adidas was because they have all the features you would want from a flat shoe, apart from the flat sole - i.e they have a hard toe box for taking any hits, and a lace management sytstem to keep the laces out the way.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I have looked into this a fair bit with non MTB shoes being repurposed, and one of the reasons i went with the Adidas was because they have all the features you would want from a flat shoe, apart from the flat sole - i.e they have a hard toe box for taking any hits, and a lace management sytstem to keep the laces out the way.
If you don't mind the extra expense, you can have any shoe/boot re-soled with stealth rubber.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
With a flat sole?
Think so.
We had a lad who comes to the shop, after a operation to remove cancer from his leg was left with his leg about 2inchs shorter, so we sent his shoes off and had a platform built into one of them, now i think his shoe was a giro but now has a stealth rubber sole.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Waterproof flat sole shoes like these perhaps :unsure:

Been using these for about 10 months now and I :love: them.

Waterproof, comfortable with a decent bit of support and protection. I have mated them to a set of V12's with extra long pins and it works really well.

Had Five tens High impact boots before and they were great in the dry but totally useless in the wet even with Sealskinz it was still unpleasant. These Alpinestars do the job so much better, but the soles are not as grippy as the five tens so you need a longer pin to compensate.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I hate grippy soles and overly stiff or thick soles (no feel and shit for changing footing position)
How are those Alpinestars in those respects? similar to a skate shoe? or less flexible? I assume they're intended for motorbike use so I wouldn't expect them to be the most flexible/feely

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Anyone tried normal cotton socks under their Sealskins? It is lovely! keeps your feet 10x dryer because they absorb any sweat that normally turns your feet into walnut looking things inside Sealskins.
Honestly, if you can still fit your shoes on with two pairs of socks, try it. Top tip (y)

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I hate grippy soles and overly stiff or thick soles (no feel and shit for changing footing position)
How are those Alpinestars in those respects? similar to a skate shoe? or less flexible? I assume they're intended for motorbike use so I wouldn't expect them to be the most flexible/feely
Hi Gary

Believe it or not I really don't think I have ever worn skate shoes :unsure: but I do know what you mean about changing foot position.

My previous High Impact Five ten's and the soft Stealth sole with a standard pin on V12's was too much for me, it required a real effort to lift and reposition. So I swapped to some Saint MX80 with the short pin configuration and this I liked, except when it got wet, nothing worse than wet cold feet :mad:

In an effort to resolve this kit deficiency, I did a bit of research and found nothing that would tick all the boxes that was MTB specific. So I looked at Motorcycle specific foot wear and found these Alpinestars J6's.

The Alpinestars sole is definitely harder and so I went to a Saint long pin configuration but it was still not enough and my feet would come off to easily. So back to the V12's and with the standard pin it was ok but prefered the longer pins that bring me back to more or less the same grip level as the Five ten's with Saint's.

But where I really gain is in wet and cold weather, I no longer need to bother with sealskinz at all. They also offer a very good level of support and protection well above your average MTB shoe and they are extremely comfortable.

On wet and rainy days, especially if there is a lot of standing water, I always use a pair of Endura Gridlock 2 waterproof trousers which fit beautifully over the tops of the boots and stop water from entering through the tops. I find this Combo works very well,

Hope this helps

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks @Japuserid

That was really helpful.
Yeah. I've never had a problem finding pedal grip and I actually remove all but 5 pins each side from a lot of my pedals. Keeping your feet in place is as much about good body positioning and core strength as it is the grip between your pedals and soles. Too much grip definitely is a problem for me though. Other than say on a DH race run where ideally you want to hit every line perfectly feet up. (not that it works out that way very often)

They also offer a very good level of support and protection well above your average MTB shoe and they are extremely comfortable.
As I understand it, the uppers are armoured. Does this effect stiffness of the boot or restrict ankle movement at all?

Definitely an interesting option and I'll be looking out for them anytime I'm in motorbike shops to try a pair on. I'll know straight away if they're suitable for me without even stepping on a pedal. Pricy. but should last a long time if only used in wet weather.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Anyone tried normal cotton socks under their Sealskins? It is lovely! keeps your feet 10x dryer because they absorb any sweat that normally turns your feet into walnut looking things inside Sealskins.
Honestly, if you can still fit your shoes on with two pairs of socks, try it. Top tip (y)
Yeah. I buy all my riding shoes a little roomy and don't do my laces up tightly for exactly this reason, a pair of sports socks. I don't really sweat much but agree with everything you've said. This means I wear sealskins all year round. (as my shoes are loose otherwise) and they don't get too hot even in summer. I must have 10 pairs of sealskins. once they start to thin out and eventually hole I don't chuck them out instead relegating them to dry weather use.

Other top tip: Tight laces stops good circulation and makes your feet colder in winter and warmer in summer and is accentuated when your shoes are soaked but your feet are still dry inside your sealskins. I do my laces up once when my shoes are new, tuck the lace ends behind the tongue of the shoe so as to never catch anything and NEVER undo the laces ever again. instead slipping my shoes on and off. They're just the right tightness they're comfortable but will never come off.

CaptainJoe

Sep 12, 2018
Aachen, Germany
Running and Trail shoes do not have mountain bike specific protection features, such as a reinforced toe box area, built in and could leave areas of your feet vulnerable to impact damage from rocks and other objects.

Agreed! Personally, I'm riding ankle-high Gore-Tex hiking boots in winter, where I think the protection for toes and ankles is ok (better than for running/trail shoes). The more rugged sole also helps with muddy/snowy ground conditions in walking sections. But it's strange that there are very few real MTB flat pedal shoes/boots suitable for rainy/winter conditions.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Here you go all.
Went out last night and here are a few photos of the results.

Do you want cold wet feet when you finish your ride?

My answer is, NO, I do not and have not suffered this in 2 winters now. No brainer folks ;)

£25 and an extra 2-3 minutes to fit them before your ride

Warm, dry feet mmmmmmmmmm. You know you want it (y)

aaBefore.jpg

After 001.jpg

After 002.jpg

After 003.jpg

After 004.jpg

After 005.jpg

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I've been thinking about drilling drain holes in the bottom of my shoes

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Kiwi in Wales
Do you have a solution to stop the material and elastic strap underneath the gaiter getting wrecked by pedal pins?

01279_010_d_1.jpg

Something similar was available years and years back and IME they got torn really quickly.
I am a constant foot position shuffler rather than a sticky soled lift up and replace sort of guy.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Here you go all.
Went out last night and here are a few photos of the results.

Do you want cold wet feet when you finish your ride?

My answer is, NO, I do not and have not suffered this in 2 winters now. No brainer folks ;)

£25 and an extra 2-3 minutes to fit them before your ride

Warm, dry feet mmmmmmmmmm. You know you want it (y)

View attachment 6389

View attachment 6391

View attachment 6393

View attachment 6394

View attachment 6395

View attachment 6396
Just need a chainsaw to complete the look

Reactions: Dax

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@Kiwi in Wales
Do you have a solution to stop the material and elastic strap underneath the gaiter getting wrecked by pedal pins?

01279_010_d_1.jpg

Something similar was available years and years back and IME they got torn really quickly.
I am a constant foot position shuffler rather than a sticky soled lift up and replace sort of guy.
So am I Gary. Please read post 31
Waterproof Flat MTB shoes - EMTB Forums
In fact I will save you the trouble ;) See below

Once you are familiar with them it takes 2-3 minutes to put them on. I use them with my flat pedals, they will last longer if you are clipped in as the pins from the flat PEDALS can damaged the elastic that runs underneath the sole of your shoe. That is the only downside to these gaiters but a bit of diy sewing replacement of the elastic and you are quickly back up and running. I have 2 pairs of these for that reason.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles