Waterproof/Baselayers for fat lads

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I'm supposed to be biking snowdon in 2 weeks and with the weather starting to turn I wanted to get some waterproof trousers and a long sleeve baselayer for under my fox top

Unfortunately I'm 6ft - 230lbs and usually around a 42-43" waist
Apparently that means all MTB specific clothing is out of the question haha
Trousers seem to stop at 36" waist - and in tops they say I'm a 4XL

I had my heart set on some endura mt500 waterproof trousers but the biggest they go is XL and from what I can tell in the shop yesterday (no fitting rooms, thanks covid) they wouldn't fit

Anyone have any recommendations for mid 40 year olds who love pizzas? :D

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I got some Army Surplus Goretex over trousers from ebay and they could be a good option for you. They have an elasticated waste and quite a loose fit and best of all only cost me £30 and they seemed to be new!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Not sure about trousers, but I'd guess you might find something at Fat Lad At the Back. They do a couple of MTB pieces, but have mostly focused on roadies. For a base layer, it's probably the same.

Haven't bought from them yet, so it's need interested to hear feedback should you try them out

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
By the way, I'm a bit of a porker too. Waist 111, hips 117. I'm 189 tall. I bought some mt500 spray trousers in xxxl (yup, 3xl!!) and I've been very pleased with them. If you can source them online, worth the postage to try them out

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought some Goretex PacLite trousers. In size Large. They had an elasticated waist that stretched out to a humongous size. The waist was huge, but the problem would be fitting the thighs, I guess. But they are worth a look if you can find any in a store to see for yourself.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
By the way, I'm a bit of a porker too. Waist 111, hips 117. I'm 189 tall. I bought some mt500 spray trousers in xxxl (yup, 3xl!!) and I've been very pleased with them. If you can source them online, worth the postage to try them out

Ooooooh every site I looked at only listed the MT500's up to XXL - but I just had a look on tredz and you can order XXXL 5 days from the supplier.

I'll give them a go! thanks

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I bought some Goretex PacLite trousers. In size Large. They had an elasticated waist that stretched out to a humongous size. The waist was huge, but the problem would be fitting the thighs, I guess. But they are worth a look if you can find any in a store to see for yourself.

Thanks mate - I was trying to avoid overtrousers, wanted a bit of a breathable all-in-one solution but if the MT500 XXXL's don't fit I'll go for that.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I doubt I’ll be out in full blown rain much just nice not to be wearing shorts when I get caught out

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Fair enough, it’s just that you said waterproof trousers in your OP. In that case the MT500’s are an excellent choice if you can get some to fit.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Yeah sorry my bad
It’s just those 3 hour rides where it starts off ok and rains halfway round lol

It will also be nice not to have legs covered in nettle stings ?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Excellent news! Hope you're as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

Just wanted to say thanks
They arrived this week - XXXL - they're, if anything, a bit loose but with the velcro done up are comfy.
Love the vents on the sides, really helped me not sweat to death.
The problem with bigger waist is the legs are an inch or two too long but with the zip up ankles and my 5ten boots they're absolutely perfect.
Only cost me £81 in a sale too so well happy :D

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Just wanted to say thanks
They arrived this week - XXXL - they're, if anything, a bit loose but with the velcro done up are comfy.
Love the vents on the sides, really helped me not sweat to death.
The problem with bigger waist is the legs are an inch or two too long but with the zip up ankles and my 5ten boots they're absolutely perfect.
Only cost me £81 in a sale too so well happy :D
Cool! What baselayer did you end up with?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Unfortunately nothing yet. Ordered some from mountain warehouse but they cancelled my order due to stock issues

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles