• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed 4

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Today I installed a Volspeed V4 on my 2021 Orbea Wild FS. It was a piece of cake to install and I can set the assistance speed anywhere between 15.5 to 27.5 MPH. Very easy to turn on and off. I was surprised you can actually engage it while you are riding. Set mine at 22 MPH, which is fine for my style of riding. I’ll update this post if anything goes wrong. I still have 6 months warranty on the Bosch gen 4 CX and would just remove it if I needed to make a warranty claim. I didn’t have to remove the crank arm and completed the job in around 15 minutes.

HellEuphoria

Oct 27, 2021
UK
I've been wanting to go with Volspeed too but I'd be devastated if my bosch unit bricked. Hope it goes well for you! I'll be following this post

HellEuphoria

Oct 27, 2021
UK
Just for clarity my firmware is updated to the very latest.
With Volspeed 4 being brand new it should still bypass Bosch no problem with no errors. Id hold off further updates from Bosch if pos though, they really don't like tampering from what I've seen

TappedOut59

Jun 8, 2022
USA
I've been wanting to go with Volspeed too but I'd be devastated if my bosch unit bricked. Hope it goes well for you! I'll be following this post
Have on my Gen 4 2022 Cube and no problems so far. Set to 24 mph for now, but seldom enable it. Another thumbs for purchasing was that it corrects the computer from reading mph ~5% slow even if limiter is not bypassed. From factory reading 5% slow, then cuts power some at 18.5 and fully at 20 mph, but never really going 20. Verified with my Garmin GPS it reads very close all the time, tire pressure still affects of course.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
The only issue I can detect with the Volspeed 4 active is the range jumps around a bit. One minute it says 40 miles then changes to 80 or 90 which is clearly false. It doesn't seem to make much difference which assistance mode I'm in either. The top speed setting appears to be 27.9 mph not 27.5 which I stated in my original first post. The plastic cover over the bottom of the motor offers no sort of ingression protection and is purely just a bash guard or sump guard depending on what you want to call it. One of my previous bikes, a Cube with a CX 3 motor had way more protection so I'm guessing the CX 4 produces more heat and needs more ventilation.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It think it clashes up the battery % for a second or so every 5 seconds.

The range calculator on the volspeed uses a much shorter time frame than the standard Bosch figure. It's more a guide of your range as you're riding at that moment, or over a couple of minutes. Whilst the Bosch one seems to take data over a far longer time span and average it out.

TappedOut59

Jun 8, 2022
USA
Thats one of the really handy things with the Volspeed. The bar meter on the Purion is the only thing that bugs me. Fitting the dongle means I won't ever think about needing to upgrade the display and of course you get the speed increase to boot.
And more accurate display of speed! This was more important to me than increasing top assisted speed much than few mph. With gearing on my 11 speed single chainring would be peddling like hell at 28 mph.

Onesome

Jul 17, 2022
finland
Has anyone tested if Volspeed4 somehow changes ride data, if you import it with ebike connect to strava for example? Speed, distance, rider power etc?

Oekaaaeir

Sep 30, 2022
Perm
How is the VOLspeed 'sensation' compared to stock Bosch even at lower speeds? I mean, I have the pedal-arm-mod installed, and it feels more natural than stock even at lower speeds. The motor output is much more rider input dependend. Lite touch on the pedals, less motor power, hard touch on the pedals much more motor power. Same principle as stock Bosch configuration, but more pronounced, dynamic or whatever. QUESTION: is that kind of dynamic or 'natural' feeling in Volspeed too, or is Volspeed more like stock Bosch just without the 25 km/h limit?
(Thought I would post the question here instead of making a new thread, as this one seems fairly general about VOLspeed.)
Thanks
carsten T

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
How is the VOLspeed 'sensation' compared to stock Bosch even at lower speeds? I mean, I have the pedal-arm-mod installed, and it feels more natural than stock even at lower speeds. The motor output is much more rider input dependend. Lite touch on the pedals, less motor power, hard touch on the pedals much more motor power. Same principle as stock Bosch configuration, but more pronounced, dynamic or whatever. QUESTION: is that kind of dynamic or 'natural' feeling in Volspeed too, or is Volspeed more like stock Bosch just without the 25 km/h limit?
(Thought I would post the question here instead of making a new thread, as this one seems fairly general about VOLspeed.)
Thanks
carsten T
What is this pedal-arm-mod you are talking about? I feel that the EMTB on the stock Bosch Gen 4 is pretty much telepathy.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Agreed. The feel is exactly the same whether Volspeed is enabled or not. Only the max mph changes. And yes, emtb mode is so good its almost come from the College of Jedi.

Batch

Oct 4, 2021
Stevenage
Further to the EMTB query, is the progressive nature of Tour+ still maintained once the chip is installed? Ever since having Tour+ installed that is the only mode I ride in due to it being progressive, would hate to lose that just so I can up the speed at which the motor cuts out.......hoping to have best of both worlds! Cheers

Last edited:

twoody9836

Jun 9, 2023
Liverpool
Volspeed 4 now at over 1000 miles problem free bosch cx 2020 pre smart system. Really make emtb mode come alive. Set to 22mph. Love it!
Any problems yet thinking about getting one for my gen2 performance line motor I’ve had it wiped after 3 error codes and really don’t fancy going to my lbs again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles