• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bosch CX Gen 4 - 1.1.5.0 & Volspeed V3

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Hi, I'm new to eMTB and I just want to know if the combination in the title is possible. If so, are there any experiences so far?
I've only completed around 100 miles so far and it seems to me the Pedelec law speed of 15.5 mph is just short of an ideal speed. I would probably be more than happy with 18-20mph.

Brutal Deluxe

Aug 20, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Hey, no sorry I’m still in lockdown haha! I’m in Melbourne Australia and we’ve just taken the lead with the city that’s been locked down the longest. 245 days and counting

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Be aware - when using software like volspeed that details like max powered speed & max assist are recorded on a chip inside your Bosch motor. When they run disgnostices on any issues this shows up and will void your warranty.

Casaibis

Oct 4, 2021
Australia
Completely agree with comment re warranty. I don't live near a Bosch dealer and accept should something go wrong the onus is on me.
I have the update and the Vol3. Set at 32 kph - no issues, 120 km done over 3 months, fast enough for me and exactly what my cousin in New Zealand gets factory from the shop.

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
Be aware - when using software like volspeed that details like max powered speed & max assist are recorded on a chip inside your Bosch motor. When they run disgnostices on any issues this shows up and will void your warranty.

Wonder why they don't trigger a 504 error? If that is what their intent was.

Casaibis

Oct 4, 2021
Australia
I would only be guessing however with a USA and NZ limit higher than the other countries it might be easier for Bosch to look for exceptions above the USA and NZ limit hence why 33kph seems to not trigger the fault code. I'm sure Bosch would only be doing the minimum required to comply with EU regs and keep profits up.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
A couple friends of mine in Australia have found friendly dealers that changed their system - probably firmware, to match the NZ one. Doesn't trigger any alerts as it is 'factory' approved. One of them told me he got the idea to hit a dealer up after a friend in Germany told him about having it done.
Hopefully the UK will ditch all the stupid EU rules and go to 32kph. If not, I expect a lot of frustration as other motor manufacturers add anti-tamper as per EU rules.
I honestly don't know how anyone could ride a eMTB with a 25kph limit. On my old leg powered bike I used to average 18-20kph on many rides and since I am an old, fat unit, going uphill is pretty damned slow at best. 2 40+ km rides last week I averaged over 16kph and that was with over 1100M climbing.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I've understood that the main functionality in like Volspeed is to modify rear wheel speed sensor data to motor so that the motor thinks you are riding all the time under the max assistance level for example 25kmh.

So where and how would the motor see that you are riding powered over the max limit? Do you have some evidence on this or is this just assumptation?

Technically it could be possible in a way where you know the gearing of the bike AND when Bosch has said that the bike senses changing gears. That way in theory you could guess the speed? This is just my assumptation on technical possibilities.

The motors don't have GPS inside which would tell this and even if it had it a secret position tracking inside the motor would be a HUGE shitstorm in EU area just for privacy things. The germans would be last to do this kind of trick.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
So to add something to the thread I've run almost all the time with Volspeed V3 and had the latest firmware updates. I've not had single error code. Based on Strava rides my top 20min speed is often under 30kmh.

What could be speculated is the torque sensor failure, but I think it had more to do with hardware more than software because it was fixed eventually with software update.

I'm guessing when the Volspeed announced in v4 version the 45kmh limit it means that is the magic limit that you should not pass.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
I'm guessing when the Volspeed announced in v4 version the 45kmh limit it means that is the magic limit that you should not pass.
Yeah, I’ve made the same assumption from Volspeed’s info on the V4 👍🏻

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
So where and how would the motor see that you are riding powered over the max limit? Do you have some evidence on this or is this just assumptation?

I believe that between the rear wheel sensor, torque sensor etc it becomes obvious when running the diagnostic software. I believe that because my LBS, showed me a bike that had a speed sensor 'adjuster' on it and had some sort of issue. The owner removed the device prior to taking it in, but when the data was mapped alongside the baseline from Bosch it did not correlate. The owner was advised whatever the issue was, it would be covered under warranty but any future issues would not. There is apparently a form Bosch has (at least in New Zealand) that the owner has to sign confirming he/she understands the situation.
And over here, we have the 32kph setting as default.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I believe that between the rear wheel sensor, torque sensor etc it becomes obvious when running the diagnostic software. I believe that because my LBS, showed me a bike that had a speed sensor 'adjuster' on it and had some sort of issue. The owner removed the device prior to taking it in, but when the data was mapped alongside the baseline from Bosch it did not correlate.

My experience is that I've not seen such feature in the Bosch diagnostic software and I guess the system would throw an ERROR 504. I'm not saying that 100% it wouldn't exist but I've not yet seen it.

I think Bosch might want to balance between fulfilling EU (etc.) regulations and not bothering customers with error codes. In the end their main task is to sell ebike systems in this context.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
My experience is that I've not seen such feature in the Bosch diagnostic software and I guess the system would throw an ERROR 504. I'm not saying that 100% it wouldn't exist but I've not yet seen it.

I think Bosch might want to balance between fulfilling EU (etc.) regulations and not bothering customers with error codes. In the end their main task is to sell ebike systems in this context.
I agree with that. The logic of the commercial imperative vs policing regulations is a one sided thing, especially as it appears nothing exists in the firmware to explicitly detect devices AND Bosch can absolutely rely on the fact they build compliant motors. So far, everything I read suggests derestriction has to be inferred from data logging. The proof of the pudding will be if numbers of owners report they've been denied warranty claims.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
So here is my problem. I have gone mullet on my cannondale gen 4 but now the top speed is way down and cannondale/Bosch wont allow a software change. I would need to derestrict but kiosk would still be recording the wrong speed due to wheel circumference mismatch so potentially risk warranty issues or software detection failures. Any ideas on this one folks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles