• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
On this afternoon's ride, I got up to 31.4 mph (50.53 kmh) with motor assist still there. I exceeded the 27.9 mph (44.9 kmh) limit about a dozen times, but the gearing on my Rail 7 is such that my cadence is too high to go much faster. There is a big downhill road near here that I think I can get to a higher speed, but I gotta wait for it to warm up again before I head over to try it. BTW, I never once felt the wall (motor cutoff). It felt so good to ride freely above the old 19.8 mph (31.86 kmh) speed that the motor used to cut out at. I'm very pleased with this mod!

Next mod: tackle the 36T chain ring enhancement (Spider and larger gear) to get around that clearance issue on a Rail. Read all about it here.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
yeah post up how fast u can get with V4.
It warmed up to 55 degrees F, so I decided to head over for that downhill stretch. I ran it twice and was able to get up to 32.7 mph (52.63 kph) on the second attempt. My pedal cadence was just too high on my Rail 7 to go much faster. The motor still felt like it was on as it didn't feel like it cut off like it used to do before I added this tuner chip.

Last edited:

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
It warmed up to 55 degrees F, so I decided to head over for that downhill stretch. I ran it twice and was able to get up to 32.7 mph (52.63 kmh) on the second attempt. My pedal cadence was just too high on my Rail 7 to go much faster. The motor still felt like it was on as it didn't feel like it cut off like it used to do before I added this tuner chip.
Yep I contacted volspeed and they told me for us spec bikes you should get 4 mph above the max setting or in this case 32 mph. Mine is not functioning properly. I set at 18 mph as a test and only get 16.5 mph. At 28 i get 24-25 so i dunno what the problem is

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
Yep I contacted volspeed and they told me for us spec bikes you should get 4 mph above the max setting or in this case 32 mph. Mine is not functioning properly. I set at 18 mph as a test and only get 16.5 mph. At 28 i get 24-25 so i dunno what the problem is
You should send it back, it sounds defective.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Are you using only the cycle Speedo, or a secondary one for these tests?
When I cycle next to my mate on the same model bike, at the same road speed our speedos are 1.5 mph different.
You might not be missing out, just under-reading.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
Are you using only the cycle Speedo, or a secondary one for these tests?
When I cycle next to my mate on the same model bike, at the same road speed our speedos are 1.5 mph different.
You might not be missing out, just under-reading.
I map with Strava, so the speed came from Strava. There is a right hand corner at the bottom of this hill and I was trying to be safe, so looking ahead and only glancing at the Purion display sporadically. BTW, the display was a bit slower, like 1mph.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
You should send it back, it sounds defective.

My Volspeed V4 is definitely not functioning properly, I confirmed this directly with Volspeed. But Volspeed refused to warranty it, just didnt respond to the request. Hopefully more reputable company starts making a solution

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
My Volspeed V4 is definitely not functioning properly, I confirmed this directly with Volspeed. But Volspeed refused to warranty it, just didnt respond to the request. Hopefully more reputable company starts making a solution
Something happened to me this weekend. I was going along and tried to accelerate but power assist seemed to cut off around 22-23 mph. So, I held the - button and turned it off. Then held the - button again to turn it back on. I noticed the speed was set lower than the upper 20s mph limit I had chosen. Once I reset it to the top speed It allowed me to reach 30+ mph on a down hill like before. I supposed I decreased it somehow, or it just did it by itself? I don't think I did it though.

Last edited:

Manu06

Mar 9, 2022
France
Hi guys,

Just installed Volspeed V4 on my Focus Sam2 6.9, did my first 15km and wanted to share my experience...

Well, it did not go as well as expected. After installing Volspeed, that was pretty straightforward even with German instructions, I set the speed limit assistance to 38km/h. So far so good :)

Then I went for a 15km ride... Next to the Purion, I have a GPS speedo that indicates the real speed. Before installing the chip, Purion speed was like 2-3km/h above the GPS speed at 25km/h, which has been noticed many times by other users.

After installing the chip, things got a little crazy.

When riding at constant GPS speed of 10km/h, Purion indicates speed ranging between 30-40km/h. During steep climbs the assistance can be temporarily cut when Purion speed is over 38km/h. I am not supposed to get assistance cut while riding at 10km/h on climbs, right ?

Purion speed is alway 8-9 km/h above the GPS speed. At 25km/h GPS speed, Purion shows 33-34 km/h. I do have assistance above 25km/h but not so much because when I go a little faster, Purion indicates 38km/h and there is no more assistance.

Question to Volspeed V4 users... What is the speed indicated on Purion, is that the real speed or does it look funky/terribly optimistic while riding ?

I am thinking of disconnecting the chip asap because the Purion shows speed most of the time over 25km/h even if I ride at lower pace. I do not want to get that error code too early !

If you have an idea on what is going on here, I'll be pleased to hear...
Thanks !

Last edited:

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
On my Rail 7, I am comparing the Purion speed to what is recorded in the Strava app on my phone, tracking via GPS. The speeds are not identical, but are close. I think Strava app shows I'm going a little faster than the Purion. Mine seems fine, yours obviously does not. Perhaps you got a defective volspeed unit.

Manu06

Mar 9, 2022
France
Indeed, looks like defective...
Did some more testing... With volspeed off, the speed reading on purion is crazy. Turning the wheel gently by hand on a stand, I can easily 'reach' 25km/h.
Removing the chip and the speed is back to normal.

Now let's see how Volspeed support performs !

Manu06

Mar 9, 2022
France
Just contacted Volspeed, provided the module serial number, and explained the problem.

They told me this is a known issue with Focus bikes. The sensor + magnet deliver several pulses per wheel rotation and cause wrong speed calculation. They had a fix available mid-January for that, but was not included in my version.

Volspeed is replacing my module and it will be shipped within 24 hours. Great support so far... (y)

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Nice response! Wonder why mastakilla didn't get the same kind of response.
volspeed did respond to my email inquiries initially by attempting to troubleshoot the chip by setting a lower speed to see what the chip would do. when it became clear it was not functioning as intended, they said that they did not know what the issue was and couldnt explain it. I ask to try a replacement chip and that was when they didnt reply to me.

da21

Sep 25, 2021
London
Hi All, I am considering getting a volspeed V4 for my Trek Allant+ 5 (Bosh CX performance bike). I have asked directly volspeed.de about the error 504, and they say that no-one has reported any so far, but reading this thread I am not sure if this is actually the case, any advice?

At the moment I am tuning with a Badass box, with a speed limit set at ~ 32 km/h, and I have had no problems for over 2,000 km (all on private land, of course). 32 km/h would even seem a good compromise, but the problem with Bosh is that you actually start to lose power already at 28-29.

Before that I had tried various settings between 50 and 38 km/h, and they all resulted in error 504. The 4th time I could not reset the error myself (riding for ~ 2h in limp mode) and I had to take it to the shop.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hi All, I am considering getting a volspeed V4 for my Trek Allant+ 5 (Bosh CX performance bike). I have asked directly volspeed.de about the error 504, and they say that no-one has reported any so far, but reading this thread I am not sure if this is actually the case, any advice?

At the moment I am tuning with a Badass box, with a speed limit set at ~ 32 km/h, and I have had no problems for over 2,000 km (all on private land, of course). 32 km/h would even seem a good compromise, but the problem with Bosh is that you actually start to lose power already at 28-29.

Before that I had tried various settings between 50 and 38 km/h, and they all resulted in error 504. The 4th time I could not reset the error myself (riding for ~ 2h in limp mode) and I had to take it to the shop.

I'd highly recommend upgrading from badass to a volspeed if you have a Performance Cx motor. Far more reliable and you can achieve the exact result you want (32kmh) & keep the use of your display. Send me a message if you have any more questions about them

da21

Sep 25, 2021
London
I'd highly recommend upgrading from badass to a volspeed if you have a Performance Cx motor. Far more reliable and you can achieve the exact result you want (32kmh) & keep the use of your display. Send me a message if you have any more questions about them
Ok, but I can do 32 now with badass. Would I be able to safely to more (ie without running the risk of triggering 504) with volspeed?

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Ok, but I can do 32 now with badass. Would I be able to safely to more (ie without running the risk of triggering 504) with volspeed?

Yes definitely - anything up to 45kmh if fine but you can keep it a bit lower to be extra safe. My company ships them globally so let me know if you'd like to order and I'll share a link with you.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I've been just over 50kph many times on my volspeed 4 No codes so far. Probably ridden 150 miles so far.

da21

Sep 25, 2021
London
: 19251"]
I've been just over 50kph many times on my volspeed 4 No codes so far. Probably ridden 150 miles so far.
[/QUOTE]
Useful to know, but still early days. My first 504 with badass came later than that. Keep us posted!

SalEmtb

Apr 21, 2022
Finland
So with volspeed 3 you can set the assist limit yourself, but with volspeed 4 it is pre-set to 45km/h, and it can not be changed. Is this correct?

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
So with volspeed 3 you can set the assist limit yourself, but with volspeed 4 it is pre-set to 45km/h, and it can not be changed. Is this correct?
45km/h is the maximum limit of the Volspeed 4 but it can be adjusted to any lower limit you choose.
I have one, usually set about 35km/h which is good for what I need.
It is easy to adjust and use, it works well.

Mr.Spaceworld

Apr 22, 2022
Norway

I got my V4 yesterday. You start it by holding down "-" >3 second. It's then preset to 32 km/h. You then have 5 sec to set the value lower or higher up to 45 km/h

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi, I have been trialing the volspeed v4 on my cube for a couple of days and it’s awesome. I also reached 31mph and a 3.83 mile sprint on and off road with a top speed of 28.1 mph and average 17.9mph.
well impressed so far and no errors.

Last edited:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Hi, I have been trialing the volspeed v4 on my cube for a couple of days and it’s awesome. I also reached 31mph and a 3.83 mile sprint on and off road with a top speed of 28.1 mph and average 17.9mph.
well impressed so far and no errors.
Over 4,000 miles on Volspeed V3 Bosch Performance CX motor running max between 37kmh and 40kmh Top speed with no errors.
Brought from eBikeTuner on here which was quick and simple and the product has been 1st class. No complaints at all.

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
I plan on installing mine this weekend. I have a Trek Powerfly9 E and do more pavement and hard gravel than trails so having a few more KMPH will be nice.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Over 4,000 miles on Volspeed V3 Bosch Performance CX motor running max between 37kmh and 40kmh Top speed with no errors.
Brought from eBikeTuner on here which was quick and simple and the product has been 1st class. No complaints at all.

Hi Phil, another week with the volspeed4 and working great. My average speed without too much effort is around 18mph. Although I can cycle comfortably 20-24 mph. I can reach the 28mph but the gearing is at max meaning my legs are spinning pretty fast.
I have noticed the range display changes as I ride. If I’m reading the instructions correctly I think it shows the range and then battery percentage.
I am more than pleased with the volspeed 4 and 28mph with no errors is fast enough.

Mr.Spaceworld

Apr 22, 2022
Norway
Mini-review of Volspeed V4

First my setup. I know this is a EMTB forum so excuse me with my big ass R&M Load 75 2021, but I'm mainly here to share my Volspeed V4 data with you guys. I've had the Volspeed V4 for about 2 weeks now and commuted 306 km / 190 miles with an avg. speed around 32kmh / 20 mph. Giving me no issues what so ever. The installation took me about 15 min in total and it worked right away. I'm very pleased!

The battery drains (obviously) faster and with my dual battery pack @ 1000Wh I get around 60-80 km / 37-50 miles. This is on "Turbo" all the way. I got a Bosch Cargo Line Cruise 250 W (Gen4) with Intuvia display. Before the chip I got maybe 90-110 km / 56-68 miles on the same settings. I live in a area with a lot of climbs and hills which helps drain the battery more.

I've also noticed something I did not expect. Before installing the chip I could not turn the lights on or off. I asked the shop that sold the bike and they told me: "Yea, we know and there is nothing we can do about it". After installing the chip I can for some reason turn the lights on and off. Also the range now swap between actual range and % on the battery which is a really nice feature since I had no chance to read the % of the batteries before.

All in all I give 10/10 for now!

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Great stuff, thanks for the review. Please keep us updated if you do happen to get any error codes/problems.

The fact that the Volspeed gives battery level in % is actually a really handy bonus for those of us with Purions :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles