Voima Fork Discussion

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Real nice.
I assume you are running a newish fox40 in 29".
What size frame? I notice the k2 and above have a really long headtube at 140mm which would appear to leave little room to fit a fox40 using their 137mm measurement of top of crown to top of stanchion.

D

Deleted member 9685

Real nice.
I assume you are running a newish fox40 in 29".
What size frame? I notice the k2 and above have a really long headtube at 140mm which would appear to leave little room to fit a fox40 using their 137mm measurement of top of crown to top of stanchion.
Can use one of these for a total stack height of 145mm. Mojo MORC Crowns

Also it looks like his crown race sits crazy high. @Tankboy is your crow race fully seated or is it the pics. Cane creek has some races and headsets that are super tight to the frame

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Fox 40's are 2022 and are super tight on the headtube, would be great if Pole reduced the headtube by 10mm to give more leeway? I'm using a hope headset which is fairly low profile and also a 1/5 to 1/8 headtube reducer which adds to the stack height unfortunately? Frame is a K3 with a seat extender to make room for my monkey long arms.

I looked at reducing the travel on the fork from 200 to 190mm but according to Fox's diagrams it takes the extra 10mm of travel off the bottom of the fork rather than the top so no dimensional gains on the top of the fork? The top crown is quite marginal but safe with the top of the sanctions inset into the top crown a bit. I've fitted the fox mudguard which will hit the bottom crown if bottomed out, but have increased a token and pressure slightly to compensate plus not doing anything super narrly ATM so won't be bottoming out.

Was contemplating running a single crown fork on it for now but I've built this a pedal assisted DH bike which I can do both no exercising XC occasionally and smashing out the laps at bike parks so thought Id leave it with the Fox 40's?

Rode the Alps with it this year and was great to be behind a 'proper' fork again, just a pain round those 180 deg switch backs and loading on the chair lifts cus its so long and heavy!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Fox 40's are 2022 and are super tight on the headtube, would be great if Pole reduced the headtube by 10mm to give more leeway? I'm using a hope headset which is fairly low profile and also a 1/5 to 1/8 headtube reducer which adds to the stack height unfortunately? Frame is a K3 with a seat extender to make room for my monkey long arms.

I looked at reducing the travel on the fork from 200 to 190mm but according to Fox's diagrams it takes the extra 10mm of travel off the bottom of the fork rather than the top so no dimensional gains on the top of the fork? The top crown is quite marginal but safe with the top of the sanctions inset into the top crown a bit. I've fitted the fox mudguard which will hit the bottom crown if bottomed out, but have increased a token and pressure slightly to compensate plus not doing anything super narrly ATM so won't be bottoming out.

Was contemplating running a single crown fork on it for now but I've built this a pedal assisted DH bike which I can do both no exercising XC occasionally and smashing out the laps at bike parks so thought Id leave it with the Fox 40's?

Rode the Alps with it this year and was great to be behind a 'proper' fork again, just a pain round those 180 deg switch backs and loading on the chair lifts cus its so long and heavy!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have a cane creek headset on my 40 with a reducer and it’s flush on the bottom and doesn’t increase the stack at all. Also, you can get a drop crown from Fox that will give you more room for adjustment.
Edit, never mind, you already have a drop crown. But the cane creek won‘t increase the stack.
image.jpg

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I have a cane creek headset on my 40 with a reducer and it’s flush on the bottom and doesn’t increase the stack at all. Also, you can get a drop crown from Fox that will give you more room for adjustment.
Edit, never mind, you already have a drop crown. But the cane creek won‘t increase the stack.
View attachment 100265
Looking at that pic I assume you must have the smallest frame with a 125mm headtube and/or a pre 21 fox 40 that has 157mm top of lower crown to top of stanchion rather than the 137mm used on the current model?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Looking at that pic I assume you must have the smallest frame with a 125mm headtube and/or a pre 21 fox 40 that has 157mm top of lower crown to top of stanchion rather than the 137mm used on the current model?
It is a K1, and I bought the reduced offset dropped crown directly from Fox in 21.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
View attachment 100265

Well, here’s a problem. I'm trying to fit a 2019 Fox 40 to my K4 Voima. Pretty sure it was a 52mm offset fork. Top-of-crown to top-of-uppertube is set at 137mm, can reduce to 127mm. Headset is a Chris King Inset 2 with a Devolution reducer.

FORK- 2017-2020 40mm User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

The stack of the bottom race and reducer is sadly quite deep. I would now need a drop top crown, if such a thing still exists from Fox. I’ll ask Silverfish.

The other problem is that the fork arch hits the head tube under not-even-close-to full compression. Photo shows fork with no air, compressed towards full travel, probably has another 10mm or more to go.

Questions for those with experience fitting a Fox 40 to your Voima:
  1. Exactly which headset make and model did you use?
  2. If you’re using the Mojo Morc, did it move the arch out away from the head tube?
  3. Any other bright ideas?
Please don’t tell me to Dremel the back of my fork arch! 🤠

Also, taking measures to prevent the fork using all its travel is not an option. It will not ride well.

Obviously, I don’t want to have to buy another fork. The intention was to take the parts from my Commencal Supreme 29 and run this as a self-shuttle DH bike.

Maybe a rebuild on a 2022 lower? Would that give the clearance I need?

"Modern frame designs and geometry trends require modern suspension design solutions. The arch design of the all-new 36, 38, and 40 is designed to pair perfectly with modern Enduro and Downhill bikes. Head tube profiles have grown larger and larger, and fork offsets shorter and shorter. Our new arch shape takes this need into account by jutting forward to provide ample headtube clearance at full compression. State-of-the-art computer modeling techniques helped us to create an organic lower leg shape that optimizes stiffness with the absolute minimal amount of material."

40.jpeg

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Well, here’s a problem. I'm trying to fit a 2019 Fox 40 to my K4 Voima. Pretty sure it was a 52mm offset fork. Top-of-crown to top-of-uppertube is set at 137mm, can reduce to 127mm. Headset is a Chris King Inset 2 with a Devolution reducer.

The stack of the bottom race and reducer is sadly quite deep. I would now need a drop top crown, if such a thing still exists from Fox. I’ll ask Silverfish.

The other problem is that the fork arch hits the head tube under not-even-close-to full compression. Photo shows fork with no air, compressed towards full travel, probably has another 10mm or more to go.

2. If you’re using the Mojo Morc, did it move the arch out away from the head tube?

Also, taking measures to prevent the fork using all its travel is not an option. It will not ride well.

Obviously, I don’t want to have to buy another fork. The intention was to take the parts from my Commencal Supreme 29 and run this as a self-shuttle DH bike.

"Modern frame designs and geometry trends require modern suspension design solutions. The arch design of the all-new 36, 38, and 40 is designed to pair perfectly with modern Enduro and Downhill bikes. Head tube profiles have grown larger and larger, and fork offsets shorter and shorter. Our new arch shape takes this need into account by jutting forward to provide ample headtube clearance at full compression. State-of-the-art computer modeling techniques helped us to create an organic lower leg shape that optimizes stiffness with the absolute minimal amount of material."

View attachment 100505
Works components have an 8mm , and now 10mm, reach extender headset

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Works components have an 8mm , and now 10mm, reach extender headset
Good find, thanks, that might do it.....but I can only see 5mm on their website.

But 5mm is better than 0mm :cool:

Last edited:

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Hey NickyTee, here's some pics of the K3 Voima with 2022 Fox 40, I just fully compressed them as well to check clearance and did a bit measuring for you. I'm using Hope selecta headset 1.1/8", ZS44/28.6 - Type 2 and 1.5", ZS56/40 - Type E with a 1/5 to 1/8 reducer.

Pics below to give you more details and measurements

IMG_20221031_201205.jpg IMG_20221031_201425.jpg IMG_20221031_201504.jpg IMG_20221031_201513.jpg IMG_20221031_201940.jpg IMG_20221031_202505.jpg

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Hey @Tankboy - thanks so much for doing all that, I really appreciate the effort :love: I can see now that I have options, even if they're not cheap....but I might even be able to get rid of that orange lower! That's a very valuable 20mm right there, all is not lost 👍

I'll see what I can do in the morning....need to eat now, been trying to work this out all night.

Pizza calls 🍕

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

View attachment 100505
67A612F9-E7A5-4F24-8A91-90BE89CB5663.jpeg
32C2DCED-4AF3-4D89-9A05-5DD2100677A3.jpeg
BC187804-BC3E-4CDE-81F4-B743C91AF854.jpeg

So my 40 is a 2020 27.5 with a 2021 46* offset drop crown which I bought directly from Fox, (you should be able to order a drop crown from them if you can’t find it anywhere else). The lower headset is a cane creek 110 ZS56, the top headset is a cane creek AER. And as I previously mentioned my Voima is a K1 so the head tube is shorter. I think if you get a 52* offset drop crown that should fix your clearance issues between the fork arch and head tube. Mine arch/headtube is also tight on bottom out with a 46* crown unless I lower my fork tubes all the way down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9685

Hey NickyTee, here's some pics of the K3 Voima with 2022 Fox 40, I just fully compressed them as well to check clearance and did a bit measuring for you. I'm using Hope selecta headset 1.1/8", ZS44/28.6 - Type 2 and 1.5", ZS56/40 - Type E with a 1/5 to 1/8 reducer.

Pics below to give you more details and measurements

View attachment 100508 View attachment 100509 View attachment 100510 View attachment 100511 View attachment 100512 View attachment 100513
Have you tested bottom out? That looks close. Also I know for the fox mudguard you need a minimum of 137mm per fox top of stanchion to top of bottom crown. With a Boxxer you need 163mm +\- 3mm.

For fox it looks like you need the drop crown

@Onetime if you drop your stanchions in their crown flush with the top like @Tankboy you’ll make the seat a little more slack and not need as much stack height. Which will also bring the handlebars forward ~10mm for every 10mm of drop which takes more pressure of your wrists. Maybe even add a +50mm stem but I’m not sure how heavy that’ll make the front end. The stack height is already the highest of ANY bike I know of especially on 29er wheel! so lowering it to where it’s tolerable for flat riding would make for better DH riding…..but being comfortable for day to day riding is the balancing trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It looks like the 29" fork, regardless of year has a max stack height of 146.5 mm with their drop crown, so probably unlikely to properly fit the 140mm headtube unless you have a really really really low profile headset. Aftermarket crowns will be required to allow full clearance.

The 27.5" fork shown above being a 2020 model allows a 166mm stack hence fitting easily.
I hadnt considered the arch hitting the frame :oops:
Will look into ohlins dh38 to see if they would be a better fit for the bike.

2021-2022
2021-2022 40mm User Specifications | Bike Help Center | FOX

2017-2020

D

Deleted member 9685

It looks like the 29" fork, regardless of year has a max stack height of 146.5 mm with their drop crown, so probably unlikely to properly fit the 140mm headtube unless you have a really really really low profile headset. Aftermarket crowns will be required to allow full clearance.

The 27.5" fork shown above being a 2020 model allows a 166mm stack hence fitting easily.

2021-2022
2021-2022 40mm User Specifications | Bike Help Center | FOX

2017-2020
Caincreek zero stack can do +3mm over stack if I remember correctly.

The Boxxer allows 163mm Correct? At least that’s what I found on Google.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Caincreek zero stack can do +3mm over stack if I remember correctly.

The Boxxer allows 163mm Correct? At least that’s what I found on Google.
Yes my 2020+ c1 boxxer has a 163mm measurment so would easily fit this bike.
But the 40 on my dh bike, even though it only has the basic grip damper, feels sooo much nicer than the boxxer ultimate.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
I’m ordering this after I blow out this Boxxer.

I ordered this and it won’t fit. :(

But I have other DH bikes…
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I definitely have some calling around to do today, see what I can get hold of :)

@BAMBAMODA, I looked at the Intend too, but 130mm max, so won't work for me.

I miss my Banshee Scream with Marzocchi Shiver :cool:

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Have you tested bottom out? That looks close. Also I know for the fox mudguard you need a minimum of 137mm per fox top of stanchion to top of bottom crown. With a Boxxer you need 163mm +\- 3mm.

For fox it looks like you need the drop crown

@Onetime if you drop your stanchions in their crown flush with the top like @Tankboy you’ll make the seat a little more slack and not need as much stack height. Which will also bring the handlebars forward ~10mm for every 10mm of drop which takes more pressure of your wrists. Maybe even add a +50mm stem but I’m not sure how heavy that’ll make the front end. The stack height is already the highest of ANY bike I know of especially on 29er wheel! so lowering it to where it’s tolerable for flat riding would make for better DH riding…..but being comfortable for day to day riding is the balancing trick.
Yes I figured the the mudguard will fowl the lower crown if I bottom out so I've put in a extra token in and upped the pressure a bit to prevent a bottom out? I'm not allowed medically to do any harsh loads on my body till next year so it's all about mincing around doing easy stuff with no proper knarl ATM :cry:🤙

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Thanks! It was built of very burly/heavy military grade steel tubing, FEA design such that my femurs would snap before the tubing! It was actually a very fast DH machine, like riding a magic carpet over roots and rocks. It was built in early 2005 and had 10" travel. My favourite bike ever!

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Armageddon - nice! 🥰

I wish Vosprung would do a Smashpot for the 40 (y)

I had a Brooklyn Race Link, but they only made one size, and I'm 195cm tall. I also had a Dark Scarab, which was similar again, also with Avalanche fork and shock. That was too small, too 🤣

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Owh bet you wish you still had the Brookline, there nuts! A coil for the modern 40's would be great.

Its bonkers just how small DH (and all?) bikes where back only around 10 years ago? The foes 2:1 I've got is large but feels like a small?! I've only ridden DH bikes and trails for years then bought an enduro bike... I've found to my cost that they just don't ride like a full DH rig despite the hype!

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
You're right, old bikes are tiny! As a larger chap, I'm forever grateful that Pole have led the way with geometry and sizing that works for me.

I'm definitely faster and go bigger on a proper DH bike, with a proper DH fork!

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It'd be nice to have one of those old masdive travel bikes in the quiver. Not any heavier than my emtb atm. I remember friends with the regular monster T's stretching their frame headtubes back in the day

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Question - has anyone here successfully removed a headset from a Voima frame?

I'm trying to do exactly that right now. It feels like there is some kind of lip immediately above where the bottom cup is pressed-in, preventing the Park RT-2 from contacting the cup. I've hit it pretty hard, but zero movement. Really don't want to damage the frame internally, obviously.

Headset is Chris King Inset 2, pressed in correctly with a Park press. Bike is unridden, I'm removing this one to fit a Works Components reach adjust headset, to gain 5mm and hopefully help with the "2019 Fox 49 arch hitting the headtube" problem.

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Question - has anyone here successfully removed a headset from a Voima frame?

I'm trying to do exactly that right now. It feels like there is some kind of lip immediately above where the bottom cup is pressed-in, preventing the Park RT-2 from contacting the cup. I've hit it pretty hard, but zero movement. Really don't want to damage the frame internally, obviously.

Headset is Chris King Inset 2, pressed in correctly with a Park press. Bike is unridden, I'm removing this one to fit a Works Components reach adjust headset, to gain 5mm and hopefully help with the "2019 Fox 49 arch hitting the headtube" problem.
Ok, Chris King headset is out, frame is safe and sound.

Just needed a bigger hammer :ROFLMAO:

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
NickyTee - how you getting on with the Fox 40's? I was wondering if a set of current lowers would fit all the older components - plus you can fart your forks when you feel the need :ROFLMAO: ??

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
NickyTee - how you getting on with the Fox 40's? I was wondering if a set of current lowers would fit all the older components - plus you can fart your forks when you feel the need :ROFLMAO: ??
Hey @Tankboy - The plan is to fit the Works Components +5mm headset and a set of Mojo Morc drop crowns. The 49 already has fart ports :ROFLMAO:

If all that doesn't work, I'll sell the 49 and get an EXT Era V2 190mm, when they come out.

Still need a rear wheel rebuild, Onyx 150mm hub needs converting to 148mm, so it'll be a little while yet until I'm riding....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles