Voima Sizing Questions/Views/Opinions

sorensi

Jun 10, 2020
Norway
Ordered a K2 size today. I am 188 tall and have been riding a Focus SAM2 in size Large. The K2 seems to be similar sized, but with a bit longer wheelbase. Will probably add a longer stem and rise bars and hopefully i will be spot on.

sorensi

Jun 10, 2020
Norway
Just a question for taller riders on K2 (i am 1.88), what Stem size did you put on, (if you changed it?) I am contemplating the Oneup 50mm stem and the 35mm riser bar.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Has anyone ordered and received a K0?

I’m considering a K0 instead of a K1, I’m 170 cm.

My current Levo’s are 435 mm reach but I use sqlab 30x bars with 16 degrees of sweep.

450 mm just seems too long for me.

RAD measurements suggest a K0 (and my current medium Levo setup seems to match that RAD).

I assume it is easier to make a K0 a bit longer than it is to make a K1 shorter.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

My current Levo’s are 435 mm reach but I use sqlab 30x bars with 16 degrees of sweep.

RAD measurements suggest a K0 (and my current medium Levo setup seems to match that RAD).

I assume it is easier to make a K0 a bit longer than it is to make a K1 shorter.
They are big bikes. If you are hovering between sizes, size down.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I th

I think you’re ok with either one. I’m 5’6-5’7ish and I’m on my second K1 Voima. However I am using a 10mm stem on my 40, so the reach isn’t an issue for me. I haven’t tried a K0 though, but with 455 chainstays I think a K1 with 450 reach is more balanced and centered for the rider rather than a short front and long back. I suppose you could put a longer stem on a K0 though to even it out.
1687379373288.png

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Just a question for taller riders on K2 (i am 1.88), what Stem size did you put on, (if you changed it?) I am contemplating the Oneup 50mm stem and the 35mm riser bar.
I’m curious as well, being that I am also 188 tall and am ordering a K2.
I’m thinking a 40-50 stem and a 35-40 riser bar.
Any pics of a 50mm stem setup?

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'm 185cm on a K2 with a 35mm stem and 30mm rise bars. Fits well and feels very natural size wise and importantly grip is very balanced front to rear.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Their other team rider at the time was Joe Nation, he's 5'10" and sized down to the K1.
I think that's the beauty of this bike you go with what you prefer, there's no right or wrong 👍
I'm just under 6' but have a really long torso and shorter legs. Always felt cramped on bikes until they started getting longer. Prior to modern geo, I had to ride mediums as ST's were always too tall for my legs and bikes felt ok seated but standing was near impossible as I felt over the bars. All my bikes now are 475-490 reach and feel great. I'm looking at the K2 @ 480mm reach but TT length is a bit concerning. No demos anywhere in Northern California so I'd be buying without a chance to test fit a demo. Any thoughts?

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I'm just under 6' but have a really long torso and shorter legs. Always felt cramped on bikes until they started getting longer. Prior to modern geo, I had to ride mediums as ST's were always too tall for my legs and bikes felt ok seated but standing was near impossible as I felt over the bars. All my bikes now are 475-490 reach and feel great. I'm looking at the K2 @ 480mm reach but TT length is a bit concerning. No demos anywhere in Northern California so I'd be buying without a chance to test fit a demo. Any thoughts?
The TT is concerning for me as well, being that I am 6’-2” ordering a K2.
I’m also in Northern CA…..Chico

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
The TT is concerning for me as well, being that I am 6’-2” ordering a K2.
I’m also in Northern CA…..Chico
Yeah, voima tt is short af when riding flat terrain but makes perfect sense the steeper you climb.

I've slammed the seat as far back on the rails as I can.

Riding my slayer Last night after a couple weeks on the Voima o definitely prefer the longer tt of the slayer on mild terrain.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Has anyone done a K3 mullet? Im wondering if this would be the best reach and TT, but make that big K3 frame a bit more nimble with the 27 out back. Currently riding a mullet gen3 Levo S4….. I might have been better off on an S5 though.

Last edited:

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
50 mm stem, 75mm rise bars, 10mm rise stem, 30mm under stem on K4. I’m 6’5”ish longer torso/arms , 36” inseam.

p0pb25091196.jpg

p0pb25091198.jpg

p0pb25091203.jpg

p0pb25091200.jpg

Do that mind seat angle on last one lol, it’s aenomaly switchgrade in climbing position, forgot to set to neutral before snapping pic.
I also ride analog Pole machine with similar geo and 50mm stem, but less rise.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
50 mm stem, 75mm rise bars, 10mm rise stem, 30mm under stem on K4. I’m 6’5”ish longer torso/arms , 36” inseam.

p0pb25091196.jpg

p0pb25091198.jpg

p0pb25091203.jpg

p0pb25091200.jpg

Do that mind seat angle on last one lol, it’s aenomaly switchgrade in climbing position, forgot to set to neutral before snapping pic.
I also ride analog Pole machine with similar geo and 50mm stem, but less rise.
Thanks for the info and pics! That’s a big bike and tall bars!….no wonder you call yourself BigG!! 👍
The 50mm stem doesn’t appear to be overly long looking. Im running 35mm stem on the Levo with 40mm rise bars
I have the same cranks on my Levo as you, in 160mm and will be purchasing the raw color ones for the raw colored Voimo. What length did you go with? 155 or 160?
Im glad I’ve taken my time on pushing the purchase bottom for the Voimo, at this point I’m thinking I’ll feel more comfortable with the TT and reach on the K3 and not have to push the saddle all the way back and run a long stem…….Ill just have to put up with a long wheelbase.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Thanks for the info and pics! That’s a big bike and tall bars!….no wonder you call yourself BigG!! 👍
The 50mm stem doesn’t appear to be overly long looking. Im running 35mm stem on the Levo with 40mm rise bars
I have the same cranks on my Levo as you, in 160mm and will be purchasing the raw color ones for the raw colored Voimo. What length did you go with? 155 or 160?
Im glad I’ve taken my time on pushing the purchase bottom for the Voimo, at this point I’m thinking I’ll feel more comfortable with the TT and reach on the K3 and not have to push the saddle all the way back and run a long stem…….Ill just have to put up with a long wheelbase.
My ecranks are 160mm, 155 were not available at the time I think. Strangely they feel fine despite the fact I usually ride 180mm.
Raw ecranks are perfect for raw Voima indeed. Same aluminum alloy as the frame btw.
Also don’t forget that Voima has pretty high bb, so you don’t need shortest possible cranks. I’m yet to experience a cranks strike and my terrain is pretty gnarly (Laguna, Orange County)

As for long wheelbase, it’s actually quite nice and has many benefits too.
I still prefer the way my Pole machine turns, as it has BB drop, but similar wheelbase.
Neutral BB and short cranks take time to get used to, but it’s not bad at all, just different turning technique.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Has anyone done a K3 mullet? Im wondering if this would be the best reach and TT, but make that big K3 frame a bit more nimble with the 27 out back. Currently riding a mullet gen3 Levo S4….. I might have been better off on an S5 though.
Might be worth looking at the onni, s onni before sending a Voima.
They have mullet options and a shorter chainstay that will give a more agile experience.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Might be worth looking at the onni, s onni before sending a Voima.
They have mullet options and a shorter chainstay that will give a more agile experience.
I’ve looked, I cant get over the fact I’ll be smacking the “old man balls” on volcanic rock! I know looks aren’t everything but yikes that motor hanging down there looks very odd!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I’ve looked, I cant get over the fact I’ll be smacking the “old man balls” on volcanic rock! I know looks aren’t everything but yikes that motor hanging down there looks very odd!
That's fair enough. I feel the same way. Time will tell to see how the market responds. Immediately it's even more polarizing than the Voima which is already polarizing....

What I can say is that my mulleted k1 Voima is surprisingly agile until you get to really tight switch backs that the long wheelbase is too long for.

I really struggle manualing the Voima. I'm usually good at manualing. I put it down to the long chainstay. In that regard the Voima is way more difficult that my mtb. You might not have the same issue as you are taller than me.

Ps, a wheelie is easy. Just use motor power.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
My ecranks are 160mm, 155 were not available at the time I think. Strangely they feel fine despite the fact I usually ride 180mm.
Raw ecranks are perfect for raw Voima indeed. Same aluminum alloy as the frame btw.
Also don’t forget that Voima has pretty high bb, so you don’t need shortest possible cranks. I’m yet to experience a cranks strike and my terrain is pretty gnarly (Laguna, Orange County)

As for long wheelbase, it’s actually quite nice and has many benefits too.
I still prefer the way my Pole machine turns, as it has BB drop, but similar wheelbase.
Neutral BB and short cranks take time to get used to, but it’s not bad at all, just different turning technique.
Ha! Small world. Laguna/OC is one of my usual riding spots. Are you on Strava or on the Pole owners group on FB? I know of 3 other Voimas in OC and my buddy is one of them. Maybe I’ll see you out there sometime. 🤘🏻😎

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Ha! Small world. Laguna/OC is one of my usual riding spots. Are you on Strava or on the Pole owners group on FB? I know of 3 other Voimas in OC and my buddy is one of them. Maybe I’ll see you out there sometime. 🤘🏻😎
I usually start at 5oaks because I can enter it right from neighborhood, and ride after 5pm due to reasons ;-)
Feel free to add/ping. I’m yet to see a single Pole really, would be awesome to compare Poles one day lol.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I usually start at 5oaks because I can enter it right from neighborhood, and ride after 5pm due to reasons ;-)
Feel free to add/ping. I’m yet to see a single Pole really, would be awesome to compare Poles one day lol.
Added. 😎👍🏼

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
Good to see that people are going for what they think suits - the short seat tube means its fits a wide range of sizes which is cool. I’m 173, with a k2, and think the bike is nice and agile, corners great, and loves steep weird tight stuff.

If you look at this pic of me hitting a mediumish drop - im not cramped and im not stretched when the bike is dynamically compressed beyond sag – which is where it counts. In fact I might take off a spacer to add a bit of reach for the next ride and see how that works! Would be good to see others post up “dynamic mid travel” pics as I think it would give people a good idea of how the sizing works, when it matters, and not just on paper.

I don’t think the geo is as out there as it might appear on paper. I totally have 100% forgotten about it and it just feels a like more composed but equally dynamic and playful version of my last bike (a rail size M )

View attachment 111346
You're exactly same height as me and one of the few in our height range that are saying definitely K2.

I'm used to a Med Mondraker Level RR at 470 Reach and 1270 Wheelbase. So much bigger than the usual mainstream 2023 Med sizing. That's why what you've said has really caught my attention, because on the basis of my Mondraker, on paper, the K1 looks like a tiny cockpit. You also don't look over-biked in your pic at all

Can I ask:
Mullet or 29er ?
What rise and width is your bar ?
What length is your stem? Is it 0degs rise ?
What stem depth ?
What mm's of spacers under the stem ?

Sorry about all the questions but my instinct is saying K2 but the majority of people are saying K1 for our height. I just want to see how you've made the cockpit set-up work for you
CHEERS

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
Interesting over here in New Zealand Sponsored Pole rider Joe Nation is selling his Voima.. as shown here

What is interesting to me is he's on a K1 and is 178cm tall (I'd say most of this attributed to reach numbers)

Just watched that video you posted. That K1 doesn't look small on him at all when seated pedalling at 178mm height.

His knees look much further away from the bar than I thought they would be for someone at 178mm pedalling a K1. His stem doesn't look like a 50mm either and his bar rise (in that side shot of him stood by it) also doesn't look that radical.

Do you now anything else about his set-up, or just that he definitely rides a K1 at 178mm tall ??

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just watched that video you posted. That K1 doesn't look small on him at all when seated pedalling at 178mm height.

His knees look much further away from the bar than I thought they would be for someone at 178mm pedalling a K1. His stem doesn't look like a 50mm either and his bar rise (in that side shot of him stood by it) also doesn't look that radical.

Do you now anything else about his set-up, or just that he definitely rides a K1 at 178mm tall ??
The bike in that video is a k2, he didn't swap to a k1 until later on in the year.

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
The bike in that video is a k2, he didn't swap to a k1 until later on in the year.

Ahh ............ so my eye's are quite well trained then :D I thought it looked bigger than a 450 Reach against his height. He was still hammering those tight twisty lines on it. Thanks for the info and second vid 👍

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Ahh ............ so my eye's are quite well trained then :D I thought it looked bigger than a 450 Reach against his height. He was still hammering those tight twisty lines on it. Thanks for the info and second vid 👍
It is quite hard to spot the difference.
I just go on the head tube, it's noticeably bigger on the k2.

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
It is quite hard to spot the difference.
I just go on the head tube, it's noticeably bigger on the k2.
In the second vid you sent, with him on a K1, it definitely looks smaller with him on it and in no way looks like he's riding a big bike. If anything, it just looks 'heavy' in that footage to me. In the vid where he is on a K2, it looks right. This whole K1 or K2 thing is doing my head in. I really want one but the sizing issue is so tricky, it makes me wonder if I should be doing it. Other than sizing, I have everything else sorted in my head for my build.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
In the second vid you sent, with him on a K1, it definitely looks smaller with him on it and in no way looks like he's riding a big bike. If anything, it just looks 'heavy' in that footage to me. In the vid where he is on a K2, it looks right. This whole K1 or K2 thing is doing my head in. I really want one but the sizing issue is so tricky, it makes me wonder if I should be doing it. Other than sizing, I have everything else sorted in my head for my build.
Yeah, it did my head in for a while. The answer for me was to size for the reach that you like. If that's 470 go for s k2 if it's 450 go for a k1.

I like 450 reacg so sized for k1 and I'm glad I did.

The short tt Isn't ideal on the flat. But you get used to it. The short tt makes sense going up steep ups.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think the new size guide on the Pole website has been adjusted now, and it's pretty accurate now for me.
I ride a medium in most bikes and I would say the K1 is a medium.
1000032871.jpg
1000032871.jpg

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I see you're in Surrey, it's worth a trip to Colchester to see Phil Seaton.
He is the UK Pole contact now and has both sizes for test rides.
01206 866400

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles