Twisted Ankle? how long to recover? Can i prevent it happening again?

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So i came off 2 weeks ago at FOD, going down Sheep Skull. It was very wet and slippery, my front wheel hit one of the large roots and instantly went down hard!

It even moved the handle bars on the stem, so it no longer had straight steering! But also managed to badly twist my ankle.

I managed to limp it down and got home before the real pain started!

By that evening i could not put any weight on it, and by the morning it was very purple. But a few days after i could just about limp on it. And now 2 weeks later i can almost walk normally and the bruising has mostly gone. But there is still some light pain.

I have started getting back on the bike, but only lightly, i can't really stand up on the pedals.

So have you guys managed to badly twist your ankle when coming off? How long did it take to recover and get back on the bike properly?

And is there anything i can wear to try and stop it happening again? I see 510 do flats with higher angle bits - would these help?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
just to make you feel better, I turned my ankle playing rugby once and had 18 months off.. bloody thing was so swollen it looked like my thigh, but all purple. sometimes youre better off breaking it. once youve turned it, it will always be weak.
do everything you can do, Ice, elevation, compression, anti inflammatories, rest etc.
if its really bad, hospital.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Unless you go down the route of Motocross boots there's not much you can do to stop a twisted ankle in a situation like. Best you can do is rehab and strengthening exercises to build it back up and keep good mobility.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I sprained my ankle about 30 years ago mountain biking. Did crutches, wrap, ibuprofen, and rest... Took a few weeks to get back on it regular... I'd hate to see how long it takes these days.

As for not doing it again, don't do what you did... figure out what went wrong & don't do that... For me, it was riding across this slick piece of concrete that I usually pulled my front wheel on, but rode straight through. I knew instantly that I futzed up...

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Just take it easy and let it heal. Rest, elevate and ice. I would also look into 'grounding'.

As for stopping it happening again? It's just bad luck so no you cant stop bad luck. Well. You can create good Karma.

😁

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you sure that it is sprained and not broken somewhere?

I thought I had twisted my ankle in a fall over a trip hazard, because it wasn't that painful at the time. It was only later that day that the pain started to increase. An X-Ray showed it was a spiral fracture of the cuboid bone. It's a bone roughly in the shape of a cube, believe it or not! The cuboid bone is located just below the ankle bone (the bit that sticks out). When you look at the X-Ray, it is hard to believe that such a short bone could be damaged and yet leave the ones either side intact.
Two weeks in plaster (heavy and useless, served only to slow me down and make life difficult).
Six weeks in a fibre glass cast (marvellous thing, I could ride my bike with that on!)
Two weeks later I had forgotten all about it.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I'm recovering from a broken ankle, a couple of screws and 10 weeks later back on the bike but not yet ready for proper trails.

I wouldn't mess about, go to A&E, get it E-rayed, if not broken it may need a boot and some weeks rest before starting physio. It may also be nothing, but why chance it?

The longer you leave it hoping for the best the more chance of long term problems.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sadly ligaments take longer to heal than broken bones. I did the ligaments on both sides plus a knee ligament and broke 3 metatarsals playing football. The bones soon healed but my ankle had no flex....stuck at 90 degrees for ages. Ligaments don't take long to heal either but without the right treatment and exercise fairly early on they can take ages to regain full flexibility. So my advice is to get physio sessions.
I see no reason why your ankle should be weaker or need additional protection once it has healed. Maybe just avoid high 👠

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
I bust my ankle 16 months ago, twisted it round and bust the tendons.
Did crutches for 6 weeks, wearing a brace (after swelling stopped) and physio for the last 12 months. I still have to do ankle exercises every other night to build strength.
Stopped me riding for 3 months but slowly went back on the bike for 7mile blue trials once a week.
Even now, 16months on, i get pain and discomfort and occasionally my ankle gives way resulting in a twist and nauseous pain.
Riding in can do but my ankle never feels in total contact with the pedals.
My ankle will never be 100% again.

Get you ankle looked at and do any recovery they suggest.

PXL_20210902_173838267.jpg

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Getting flex back in my ankle took ages and physio was torture so I packed that in and did my own. Hot and cold treatment, gentle bouncing on a trampet, both helped a lot but what got it moving most successfully was getting on the water windsurfing!! It had no option but to flex! Freezing cold water prevented any real pain whilst on the water but I needed pain killers when I finished the sessions. That was decade ago........never had any problems with it since. Answer......take up windsurfing! Preferably in high winds and rough water:p

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Getting flex back in my ankle took ages and physio was torture so I packed that in and did my own. Hot and cold treatment, gentle bouncing on a trampet, both helped a lot but what got it moving most successfully was getting on the water windsurfing!! It had no option but to flex! Freezing cold water prevented any real pain whilst on the water but I needed pain killers when I finished the sessions. That was decade ago........never had any problems with it since. Answer......take up windsurfing! Preferably in high winds and rough water:p
Learning to windsurf with a damaged ankle might well finish him off! :unsure:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
kill or cure:ROFLMAO:
......to be clear.......I was referring to the post healing stage where the biggest problem is regaining flexibility in ligaments ( phew...hopefully that disclaimer prevents me from being sued) :eek:

Burner

Subscriber
Sep 18, 2022
Manchester
I’ve done both my ankles playing football, yes they will always be a bit weak but, the best thing in my experience is go and get some physio after the swelling goes down, it will heal faster and be stronger!. The physio will straighten out the fibres in the ligaments so they heal proper!!

SparAu

Dec 8, 2022
Sunshine Coast Australia
I tore my atfl jogging down Whitsunday Island Dec last year, so 500m up and a few km from a bareboat charter, made an audible snap. I found I could walk on my heel so just walked back to the boat, drove the family 1000km home.
Visited the doctor after ultrasound, completely severed, he told me to put a moon boot on. I said no, how will it heal without blood flow?
He got grumpy at me, I said ok, ignored him and walked out.
3 weeks later of limping and occasionally using crutches and it was fine, could walk normally.
I am super curious what it attached itself to cause I can't even notice now.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So i came off 2 weeks ago at FOD, going down Sheep Skull. It was very wet and slippery, my front wheel hit one of the large roots and instantly went down hard!

It even moved the handle bars on the stem, so it no longer had straight steering! But also managed to badly twist my ankle.

By that evening i could not put any weight on it, and by the morning it was very purple. But a few days after i could just about limp on it. And now 2 weeks later i can almost walk normally and the bruising has mostly gone. But there is still some light pain.

I have started getting back on the bike, but only lightly, i can't really stand up on the pedals.

So have you guys managed to badly twist your ankle when coming off? How long did it take to recover and get back on the bike properly?

And is there anything i can wear to try and stop it happening again? I see 510 do flats with higher angle bits - would these help?
High Rock Ruti

Ankle supporter Amazon $60 ish wore it for about a year, also high back flat pedal shoes five ten impacts all I wear. Immobilize it riding, stretch it as you can

Warm Regards Ruti

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Broke mine it was weak for about 20 years . I would go over it every couple years . Settled down now dare I say . Went over other one last week haha. I wore tubegrip when skiing ⛷️ etc.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I see 510 do flats with higher angle bits - would these help?
The 510 with higher angle (ankle?) bits are for impact on your ankle bones. I wear these ones.
https://www.adidas.com/us/five-ten-impact-pro-mid-mountain-bike-shoes/FU7540.html
Your ankle can still move/rotate freely inside your shoe so they offer no additional support. I shattered my calcaneus bone which has led to a weak and stiff ankle which will always be weaker than before. I don't notice it when I am riding but I no longer enjoy the confidence of knowing I am able to jump off my bike and land on both feet, in the event of an untimely dismount. YMMV!

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
I can't help but wonder if you consulted a Doctor? Might be a better place for medical advice than a eMTB forum?

Just a friendly thought from Canada eh!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I can't help but wonder if you consulted a Doctor? Might be a better place for medical advice than a eMTB forum?

Just a friendly thought from Canada eh!
Not so easy to consult your doctor in UK . Doctors are all too busy to get an appointment , but you can see the same one after 5 pm if you are willing to pay .

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
Not so easy to consult your doctor in UK . Doctors are all too busy to get an appointment , but you can see the same one after 5 pm if you are willing to pay .
How much does a typical doctor's visit cost after hours? Im in the US and even with insurance a visit (no x-ray) can cost 150-250$ before you spend a certain amount!

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
How much does a typical doctor's visit cost after hours? Im in the US and even with insurance a visit (no x-ray) can cost 150-250$ before you spend a certain amount!
Wow!!! Dr visit in South Island of New Zealand is govt subsidised. Last visit cost me NZD $19.50.
My wife has been to Emergency Department 3 times in the last 3 weeks. No cost and prescriptions free of charge too.
Ambulance (1 trip) did cost NZD $96.00
Maybe our health system isn't too bad after all. We don't have private medical cover as it is too expensive and unaffordable for most who rely on the government pension.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
NHS in UK is free but even before covid my practice receptionist would ask on phone what is wrong with you then try and fob you off with a nurse rather than see a doctor which is ok sometimes . You can wait a week at least even for a phone consultation. Lot of people having to go private for hip and knee ops. Then again some people go to doctors with very minor things so it's our own doing . Rant over .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You kind of need to have private health care. I had with one company I worked for and any time I went it was always after hours and they payed. Or wait in accident and emergency to see someone. I've been three times in my life so I am a lucky Buckie happy chappy .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles