Transmissions, How long can you make yours last?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Personally I managed 2500 from a rear cassette on a Bosch CX with 17 T front and an XT 11-42 cassette.

This required a new chain approximately every 400 miles or so. I replaced the chain as soon as it got close to the 0.7 mark, or as soon as I was able to gently force the 0.7 chain gauge fully in basically.

I turned the front chain ring when I replaced a chain and replaced for new every two chains.

So 6 chains a mix of XT and XTR, 3 chain rings and one cassette for 2500 miles, the cassette was still just about usable, but was visibly well worn when compared to new and the shifting performance had deteriorated to an unacceptable level.

I am hoping to improve on this with the E 8000 as I'm sure the small front chain ring on the Bosch was a contributing factor to chain wear. We shall see.

It would be very interesting to hear how the rest of the community are fairing with their's. :)

Last edited:

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
It depends so much on the riding conditions that it's difficult to compare.

I've made about 3'000km with a change of chain and front sprocket in the middle. It could have lasted more but I changed to a smaller sprocket and It didn't work at all with the used parts.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Thanks eFat,

Ref riding conditions, let's assume general off-road, dry and dusty to wet and muddy.

So you managed 3000 Km or 1850 Miles, with two chains but it sounds like you pushed it a bit to far. Hence the cassette not working with the new chain ring?

Sound's like a fair assessment, would you agree ?

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Personally I managed 2500 from a rear cassette on a Bosch CX with 17 T front and an XT 11-42 cassette.

This required a new chain approximately every 400 miles or so. I replaced the chain as soon as it got close to the 0.7 mark, or as soon as I was able to gently force the 0.7 chain gauge fully in basically.

I turned the front chain ring when I replaced a chain and replaced for new every two chains.

So 6 chains a mix of XT and XTR, 3 chain rings and one cassette for 2500 miles, the cassette was still just about usable, but was visibly well worn when compared to new and the shifting performance had deteriorated to an unacceptable level.

I am hoping to improve on this with the E 8000 as I'm sure the small front chain ring on the Bosch was a contributing factor to chain wear. We shall see.

It would be very interesting to hear how the rest of the community are fairing with their's. :)

I too have a small chainring 15t and I replaced the KMC chain at 1000 miles as soon as it showed 0.75% wear. I checked after every ride however the front chainring was shot to pieces And kept sucking the new chain and jamming which was quite dangerous. Flipping the chainring over to the reverse side solved the problem.
Cassette seems absolutely fine at the moment and it’s done 1800 miles. Shimano XT 11 speed
This second chain doesn’t seem to be wearing as quick. Identical KMC chain as the first. My only difference is I’ve been using Muc Off ceramic lube on it instead of the standard Muc off oil. Also maybe on the first chain I used dry lube on some muddy occasions when wet lube would have been more appropriate

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I change my cassette at 3500km. There's still life lift in it (I'm not a rider who zooms about in ludicrous mode in high gears), but 3500km is 3 chains so that's why. Also using an 11-42t Deore cassette means it's much cheaper than 11 or 12 spd.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I changed whole rear cassette and both front chainrings on my 10+2 speeds Shimano Deore at around 3500 miles. Until that moment I went thru a few chains stretched over 0.7mm. I think I could use the cassette for more miles but I also felt it causes faster chain wear so I decided it is cheaper to change the cassette with chainrings and chain than keep riding the cassette and change the chains more frequently.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales

Just put on my third cassette at 8500kms So around 4000kms per cassette. So far been changing chains every 700kms. Just started hot waxing, but too soon to see any longevity impact. Still on my first chainring Bosch Gen 4 SRAM chain ring, but much bigger than yours. Chainring doesn’t look the best now, but still runs very smoothly.
i ride South Wales and Forest of Dean, so not at all drive train friendly

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles