How long is too long?

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Is there a reasonable time limit on a warranty repair? Tredz have had my bike 8 weeks now with no end in sight. I just want the bike fixed but I'm losing my patience now after a receiving an email from them today delaying the fix again. I feel like saying fuck it I want my money back but not sure where I stand legally. Cheers

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I may be wrong, but under warranty, they can fix it for you but I don't think you're entitled to your money back without them stating in the pre-sale. If they're nice then they may agree. But I think the sale of goods act gives you 14 days to return which obviously you are way past. Depending on the manufacturer, they might honor a replacement or your request for your money back? Worth asking?

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I may be wrong, but under warranty, they can fix it for you but I don't think you're entitled to your money back without them stating in the pre-sale. If they're nice then they may agree. But I think the sale of goods act gives you 14 days to return which obviously you are way past. Depending on the manufacturer, they might honor a replacement or your request for your money back? Worth asking?
There's got to be some time limit though on them carrying out repairs under warranty? Like I said I'm now at 8 weeks without the bike and not sure how much longer it's gonna go on

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Fuk that, give them a deadline to work too.
Tell them you've got a biking holidaybooked and need a bike for that.
And contact consumer advise

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Have you though that Tredz may be waiting for the required parts to actually come in to stock?

Give them a call/email and ask what the delay is.

Not from Tredz but, I had a faulty Shimano XT freehub and had had to wait around 10 weeks before Madison got a delivery to ship out to dealers

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
check with citizens advice they have a reasonable time to fix it. Generally when I last enquired with CA that was around 8 weeks TBH. As others have said supply of parts is really dodgy at the moment so it may be they can't get hold of the required parts to fix it in which case you are in a mess.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I've just had to wait 6 weeks for a new motor to arrive from Japan. I think I got lucky as someone else I know who's motor needs replacing but still (just) works has been told the replacement won't be here until September now!

There seems to be very limited supplies of replacement parts unfortunately.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would try discussing with Tredz if there is a workaround worth pursuing. What was the warranty claim for? If it is 3rd party kit ( drivetrain/suspension/brakes etc) they may be alternative solutions.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
So here's a briefish explanation of whats happened so far. The chainring on my Orbea Rise sheared off in February while out riding. Soon as I got home I emailed Tredz to enquire about getting it replaced under warranty and in the meantime ordered a replacement myself while they made a decision. Took a bit of sourcing but managed to get one from Spain. 10 days later it arrived and I go to fit it but couldn't get the lock ring undone. Took it to my local bike shop for the lad there to give me a hand and we had no joy and rather than risk breaking something I said Tredz can sort it out so arrange with them to pick the bike up. Think the bike arrived with them on a Wednesday, spoke to the guy in warranty and told him I was going on holiday for a week on the Saturday so would call them when back. Gave them a call on the Monday after my hol to be told they can't get it off either and have been in touch with the distibutor regarding a solution and were hoping to hear back from them that day or the day after and would call me. Didn't hear anything so the following Monday I call to be told they're still waiting to hear from the distributor. Leave it another week and call them. Now they say the distibutor is sending them a tool to get the job done. This is where I'm a bit confused and ask what this tool is? Guy didn't know as he isn't a mechanic. Another week goes by and still no sign of this tool and they still don't know what the tool is. Just before Easter weekend I'm told the tools arrived but as it's bank holiday weekend nothing will happen. Called up after Easter and still no sign of this magic tool. It's coming up from the Swansea store today I'm told. Last Friday I then get an email from Tredz saying there's is no UK stock of chainrings so E13 are sending one from Germany. I emailed back asking if the lock ring was now removed? I was emailed back swiftly to be told no but they now have the Shimano TL-FC39 tool so can remove it. This got my back right up and emailed back asking why they told me weeks ago they couldn't remove the lock ring? No mention of we can't remove the lock ring because we haven't got the tool, just told yeah we can't get it off either so assumed they were having the same problems I had initially. Never got a reply so called yesterday. Mechanic hasn't even attempted as there's no chain ring to fit. I told the warranty guy it's not just a 2 minute job and he really needs to get the mechanic to just have a go rather than wait for the ring to arrive and then realise he can't get it off either.
Got an email today saying mechanics tried and can't get the lock ring to budge so they have spoken to E13 and Orbea as they think the only solution is a new motor. I was fucking fuming as I can guarantee this won't happen overnight.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So I believe the lockring is undone clockwise. Obviously the chainring cannot be used to prevent the motor crank rotating when you try to undo the lockring but can you not use the non drive side crank to hold it? ( use a length of timber to lock the crank to the frame).
If for some reason even with the correct lock ring removal tool and a breaker bar if needed, it will not budge I would resort to a drill or dremel to split the locknut open, its only ally.........obviously you would need a new lock ring!!

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
So I believe the lockring is undone clockwise. Obviously the chainring cannot be used to prevent the motor crank rotating when you try to undo the lockring but can you not use the non drive side crank to hold it? ( use a length of timber to lock the crank to the frame).
If for some reason even with the correct lock ring removal tool and a breaker bar if needed, it will not budge I would resort to a drill or dremel to split the locknut open, its only ally.........obviously you would need a new lock ring!!
Tried everything with the local bike shop. Old crank arm on the NDS with a small scaffold pole over it and me stood on that. Bit of heat, just couldn't move it. So it's in the hands of Tredz now. Can't see them messing about with dremels etc. they'll just go the "easy" route and just get a new motor from Orbea or whoever. I'm just amazed they've wasted the last 8 weeks all because they didn't have a tool to remove a lock ring on an EP8 motor. I'd have lent them mine if I'd have known at the beginning

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes..I was referring to a DIY job...........but then if the lockring is that seized it suggests the chainring dragged it across the motor spindle threads ( cross threaded) so the spindle may well be knackered depending upon whether the lock ring threads are knackered or the spindle threads are damaged........and the only fix for the latter is a new motor.
I agee Tredz should have come to that conclusion within an hour of working on it and ordered a new motor at that point, so I do not think their delay is justified.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I would be somewhat miffed in that situation to say the least...

I'd be tempted in the first instance to ask them to swap the motor out with another bike they have in stock. If not, ask for a refund as the product isn't fit for purpose. That may get them to sharpen their thoughts.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I would be somewhat miffed in that situation to say the least...

I'd be tempted in the first instance to ask them to swap the motor out with another bike they have in stock. If not, ask for a refund as the product isn't fit for purpose. That may get them to sharpen their thoughts.
Yeah that was one of my first thoughts regarding a new motor. They do have Rises in stock so I think the least they can do is swap one out.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
So here's a briefish explanation of whats happened so far. The chainring on my Orbea Rise sheared off in February while out riding. Soon as I got home I emailed Tredz to enquire about getting it replaced under warranty and in the meantime ordered a replacement myself while they made a decision. Took a bit of sourcing but managed to get one from Spain. 10 days later it arrived and I go to fit it but couldn't get the lock ring undone. Took it to my local bike shop for the lad there to give me a hand and we had no joy and rather than risk breaking something I said Tredz can sort it out so arrange with them to pick the bike up. Think the bike arrived with them on a Wednesday, spoke to the guy in warranty and told him I was going on holiday for a week on the Saturday so would call them when back. Gave them a call on the Monday after my hol to be told they can't get it off either and have been in touch with the distibutor regarding a solution and were hoping to hear back from them that day or the day after and would call me. Didn't hear anything so the following Monday I call to be told they're still waiting to hear from the distributor. Leave it another week and call them. Now they say the distibutor is sending them a tool to get the job done. This is where I'm a bit confused and ask what this tool is? Guy didn't know as he isn't a mechanic. Another week goes by and still no sign of this tool and they still don't know what the tool is. Just before Easter weekend I'm told the tools arrived but as it's bank holiday weekend nothing will happen. Called up after Easter and still no sign of this magic tool. It's coming up from the Swansea store today I'm told. Last Friday I then get an email from Tredz saying there's is no UK stock of chainrings so E13 are sending one from Germany. I emailed back asking if the lock ring was now removed? I was emailed back swiftly to be told no but they now have the Shimano TL-FC39 tool so can remove it. This got my back right up and emailed back asking why they told me weeks ago they couldn't remove the lock ring? No mention of we can't remove the lock ring because we haven't got the tool, just told yeah we can't get it off either so assumed they were having the same problems I had initially. Never got a reply so called yesterday. Mechanic hasn't even attempted as there's no chain ring to fit. I told the warranty guy it's not just a 2 minute job and he really needs to get the mechanic to just have a go rather than wait for the ring to arrive and then realise he can't get it off either.
Got an email today saying mechanics tried and can't get the lock ring to budge so they have spoken to E13 and Orbea as they think the only solution is a new motor. I was fucking fuming as I can guarantee this won't happen overnight.
I feel your pain on this one. It sounds like there is a real issue with E13 cranks etc on Ebikes.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
They really need to pull their finger out after stuffing you around on this one. Tell them to motor swap off a stock one
It'd be nice if they would but I don't think they will personally. All you seem to get is we're really sorry blah blah blah. What can you do when you're 200 miles away on the phone? You can't force them to do anything it's so frustrating

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
It'd be nice if they would but I don't think they will personally. All you seem to get is we're really sorry blah blah blah. What can you do when you're 200 miles away on the phone? You can't force them to do anything it's so frustrating
Did you pay by credit card?

As suggested earlier, I'd speak to them and ask them to find a quick resolution (swap out motor from stock) or you'll ask for a refund. Threaten to get the credit card company involved. It sounds like you've been more than reasonable.

I'd start putting things in writing to them so there is an evidence trail if needed.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Did you pay by credit card?

As suggested earlier, I'd speak to them and ask them to find a quick resolution (swap out motor from stock) or you'll ask for a refund. Threaten to get the credit card company involved. It sounds like you've been more than reasonable.

I'd start putting things in writing to them so there is an evidence trail if needed.
2k cash and rest on 0% so not sure how it'd work refund wise?Its not really what I want. I'm well happy with the bike, apart from all this obviously, just want it resolving asap.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
..........How can you be happy with a bike that had a catastrophic failure, supplied by a combination of a brand and a retailer who between them have proved to be totally feckless in making matters right? You need to push. Personally I would be making it clear I no longer want the bike or to deal with Tredz or Orbea and get a solicitor's letter sent.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
..........How can you be happy with a bike that had a catastrophic failure, supplied by a combination of a brand and a retailer who between them have proved to be totally feckless in making matters right? You need to push. Personally I would be making it clear I no longer want the bike or to deal with Tredz or Orbea and get a solicitor's letter sent.
Regardless of how this has been handled its still a great bike at the end of the day. But yes it's not left me with much faith in Tredz/Orbea/E13.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Sorry to butt in but can you not speak to the finance provider you have the 0% with and explain that your bike is not being repaired in a reasonable amount of time as specified under the Consumer Rights Act, I’m sure they would have some sway against Tredz.

Key points of the Consumer Rights Act are:

• goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for their intended purpose and as described
  • services should be carried out with reasonable care and skill, and if not specifically agreed, in a reasonable time frame and at a reasonable cost.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Sale of goods act has been replaced with

Edit ; bit late to the party 🥳

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
2k cash and rest on 0% so not sure how it'd work refund wise?Its not really what I want. I'm well happy with the bike, apart from all this obviously, just want it resolving asap.
I was suggesting using it more as a threat to get a resolution than actually going through with it. Best outcome for both sides would be you walking away with your bike repaired.

Just seems like they may need their minds to be focused a little to get them to do their job...

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Is there a reasonable time limit on a warranty repair? Tredz have had my bike 8 weeks now with no end in sight. I just want the bike fixed but I'm losing my patience now after a receiving an email from them today delaying the fix again. I feel like saying fuck it I want my money back but not sure where I stand legally. Cheers
Yeah, if it is a shimano part that needs replaced you could be in for a long wait. I'd ask for alternatives if not ask for money back and explain that you need the bike and waiting this length of time is not really acceptable.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Usually a good shop does try to help. Pre covid i waited 8 days for my shop to receive a needed broken part and they received the wrong part so i waited an extra 7 days. Maybe if you are a good client they can loan you some bike? Whith delays getting bikes and parts due to covid there is no answer. Stuff comes when stuff comes. Just have a talk and you will know what they offer you.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I really don't know how they think it is OK to wait 8 weeks just to identify they can't get the lock ring off. Those tools aren't exactly hard to come by and they're a bike shop, they should have tools. My LBS was able to source one in a couple of days. It is a joke and you should be really annoyed with them and let them know it.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I really don't know how they think it is OK to wait 8 weeks just to identify they can't get the lock ring off. Those tools aren't exactly hard to come by and they're a bike shop, they should have tools. My LBS was able to source one in a couple of days. It is a joke and you should be really annoyed with them and let them know it.
Oh they know I'm annoyed but like I said previously all you get is, "we're really sorry". Spoke to them on Friday to see what's happening. E13 have offered to pay for a new motor but Orbea think that won't be necessary so they're just weighing up what the quickest option is and to give them a couple of days. Got off the phone and sent an email with an official complaint stating I need the bike for an upcoming biking trip and néed it back in the next week or so or I want a full refund

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Oh they know I'm annoyed but like I said previously all you get is, "we're really sorry". Spoke to them on Friday to see what's happening. E13 have offered to pay for a new motor but Orbea think that won't be necessary so they're just weighing up what the quickest option is and to give them a couple of days. Got off the phone and sent an email with an official complaint stating I need the bike for an upcoming biking trip and néed it back in the next week or so or I want a full refund
Hopefully the kick up the bum will get some action. I really feel for you in that situation.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles