Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo rattle possibly coming from Chain?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I purchased a Turbo Levo 2020 and it has always rattled which I'm almost certain it is coming from the chain. It is particularly noticably on the rough stuff at slow or medium speeds, but not much at fast speeds. Has anyone had this issue and managed to solve it?

Everything is still new nothing changed at all on it

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Sprag bearing in the motor is my bet. Mine does the same thing and I've chased it for months. I just try and ignore it now. I can replicate the noise by simply lifting the back end and dropping it.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Same thing here rattles over rough ground can’t find it anywhere plus got a weird creeking noise when pulling hard in turbo I’ve noticed slight play in crank arms don’t know if this is normal bikes done 2100 miles

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Are you sure it's not the pedals? If it's the crank arms, suggest strip, (bolts are self extracting and can be really tight so I put wheels on ground, lean over the bike and push down on the crank arm with my left hand and Allan key with my right), clean, grease and reassemble. Torque specified is above what I can exert so tight as I can seems good enough.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Same thing here rattles over rough ground can’t find it anywhere plus got a weird creeking noise when pulling hard in turbo I’ve noticed slight play in crank arms don’t know if this is normal bikes done 2100 miles

I have the same noises on my 2020 levo, it didn't make them when it was new, it has now done 1500 miles.

like the previous posts I'm pretty sure its coming from inside the motor, I've checked everything else so will have to learn to live with it I guess.

If it gets worse I'll have to take it to dealer to get it checked.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I realize that you indicated it sounds like the rattle is from the chain (i.e. back of the bike) but my 2020 comp developed a rattle that I eventually identified as the caps on the front wheel. Others either remove them or added o-rings to silence the rattle but I found I liked the alignment they provided and the o-rings added drag so ended up putting a couple of small pieces of electrical tape on the bottom. Problem solved and the bike is silent again even over the rough stuff. I don't have any chain rattle unless I'm in the smallest gear and hit stuff rough enough for the chain to hit the frame which is seldom. I could probably improve even that by shortening the chain as the derailleur is pretty much maxed out in terms of takeup. I haven't don't that yet since I want it slightly long for the occasions when I switch to the 36t chainring.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i have had similar, was cables in the toptube banging, its worse in my wifes bike as the frame is carbon and there is no clamp on the cables by the rear shock like the ali frame. also the battery is possible. try sticking a little bit of padding on the top end of the battery just to eliminate it
at least its worth looking at

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
For whatever it's worth, my 2020 Levo is dead quiet other than tire noise and the sound of the suspension working when coasting, so they don't all make noise, and with some effort you'll probably be able to chase it down and make it quiet sooner or later. Good luck, I hate a noisy bike so I feel your pain.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Yes it seems like it may not be coming from the chain afterall, I will try that suggestion about putting it in a low gear (large cog) and if it doesn't go away then it is almost certainly not the chain ?

I had problems with the front wheel rattle when the bike was brand new but this seems like a different sound

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Mine has started making a strange cable type tapping noise like you are describing when under load climbing .
ive just had a new drivetrain swop and it’s still doing it !
still looking for the source in the meantime I just turn the music up higher ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles