Levo Gen 2 Levo Rattle

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
The Levo rattles on rough ground.
I'm fed up with trying to find out what is causing this rattle now. Have ruled out everything:

Battery
Pivot Bearings
Checked bolt torque on all bolts in frame, disc rotors, rear mech
Mudguards
Dropper Post - full service
Wheels - Foam Insert removed. Checked spoke tension
Cassette torque checked
Water bottle
There aren't any other attatchables to the bike other than the water bottle and mud guards

Any ideas what else it could be?

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
A tough one and equally frustrating!

headset bearings
motor bolts (x6)
or
cables under the TCU cable tied / foam wrap

suggestion only….

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
It doesn't sound like a Headset noise and the cables seem alright with them all clamped down although I have had rattle in the past with the cables under the TCU when I had the levociraptor installed and all the additional associated cables that come with it.

Yes I've definetely done the motor bolts including the two very hidden ones that are hard to get to behind the brake and gear cables.

They were actually loose for ages those, the Bike Shop fitted a new motor and forgot to torque the motor bolts up.

Seeing how difficult it is to remove and install a Levo Motor I can't believe they messed up on the easy part.

I torqued 4 of them up myself straight away but it took me a further 3 months to realise that there were two hidden ones.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I had a noise that sounded like a loose cable tapping on my Levo Expert carbon frame. Tried everything to resolve and it ended up being headset/bearings. Pull the fork and do a thorough clean of headset and bearings. Re-apply grease and go ride. Maybe it will fix your problem!

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
My 20 had a rattle in the front. Took off the front wheel spacers on the axle and all good.
I had this on the first ride. Took the front wheel spacers off which solved this problem like you say. But that was back in May 2020, and have done over 150 rides since then. In the intermediate period I had a lot of problems of rattling due to the battery, and had to insert foam weather stripping

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
It sounds like the rattle is coming from the rear on mine.
Is it possible that rear derailuers can rattle, even if torqued to the hanger correctly ? It's only a SRAM NX 11 SP on mine.
If I do an Endo (Not that I can do one properly) the rear wheel comes slamming back down and I hear the rattle.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I doubt its the headset because I cleaned it when I replaced my Fork only less than 2 months ago. Crown Steerer issues.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
As I mentioned above, dropper cable housing is capable of rattling inside the frame.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Mine has movement where the suspension linkage joins the seatstay. The bolts are torqued up correctly, but there is clear movement. I can't believe the bearings are gone after 3 months, but I will need to take a look.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Does it rattle when you pedal?

If it's ony on rough ground when not pedaling it could be the sprag clutch in the motor rattling when not loaded. Some motors do this, some don't.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
every time this happens with mine, its the cassette, there is a spacer behind it that breaks and the giveaway is that the smaller sprockets move independently of the larger ones.
just get a new spacer if thats the case before it chews your freehub to bits

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
It sounds like the rattle is coming from the rear on mine.
Is it possible that rear derailuers can rattle, even if torqued to the hanger correctly ? It's only a SRAM NX 11 SP on mine.
If I do an Endo (Not that I can do one properly) the rear wheel comes slamming back down and I hear the rattle.
Have you sized your chain
“Assuming” you’ve changed from 12-11 speed chain length shall require adjusting

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Does it rattle when you pedal?

If it's ony on rough ground when not pedaling it could be the sprag clutch in the motor rattling when not loaded. Some motors do this, some don't.
Yeah, I get a slight rattle only when pedaling. I think it may have something to do with backlash in the motor's internal gears. The sprag clutch is fine. Rattle happens on any road surface, and goes away when you load the motor up, i.e. climbing.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I get a slight rattle only when pedaling. I think it may have something to do with backlash in the motor's internal gears. The sprag clutch is fine. Rattle happens on any road surface, and goes away when you load the motor up, i.e. climbing.
It turns out my rattle was the dropper post and/or cable. I took out the dropper post for a minor shaft clean and lube, realigned the release mechanism and reinstalled, taking out the slack in the cable within the carbon frame. Really hard to pick this one given it only made a noise while pedaling...maybe slight movement in the post/cable while pedaling. Glad it wasn't the motor (2nd motor only in 5000km)

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
It's the front wheel axle spacers, took me 3 months to work it out they rattle over rough ground pedalling and not pedalling I had the same issue on my gen 2 , I removed them problem solved, been riding it for the last 5 years without them with no issue.
I sorted that out on day 1, but I've had to deal with countless other causes of rattle ever since!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles