Levo Gen 2 Levo / Brose 2.1 motor rattle

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
My 2020 Levo, Brose 2.1 with approx 1000 miles has developed a rattle when in turbo mode. It runs nice and smoothly, no slip on the sprag clutches, but when I turbo it, there is a rattling sound. It doesn't sound like a clutch or bearing, as it's a random rattle and has no rhythmic properties, (ie every crank rotation, or several times a crank rotation).
All I can think of, is it's the belt tensioner- In turbo mode, the drive side of the belt will stretch slightly more, making the slack side looser, could it be it's now got so loose, the tensioner isn't pushing the belt properly, and is rattling as the belt whips around?
I'm sure someone on here must have had this happen!

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
One recent observation, is the rattle doesn't happen from cold, it kicks in at about 35 degrees motor temperature, ie after a good hill climb. If the motor is allowed to cool, the rattle disappears

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
I realize that's most likely the eventual outcome, but my local shop isn't local! I really don't want to spend a day travelling to the shop and waiting around to have my bike repaired, every few months when something starts to go wrong!
This thread is more of a fact finding exercise to find out what's going wrong- Is it fine to just keep riding it, will it break very soon, will it gradually get worse until breaking, will it just be annoying and never break? (until the inevitable water / dust ingress ruins the crankshaft, or the crankshaft sprag clutch breaks)
There have been SO many Brose motor failures, surely someone will have had this rattle and know what it is, and how serious it is!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles