Turbo Levo Chainring Replacement

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Nice. Good to know you can run 36 with some modification. I'll try 34 for now and see how it goes. I want to split the difference I think so that I can still spin pretty low if I'm in a low assist and trying to maximize battery life. It's not uncommon for me to do a 50 mile ride with near 5k feet of climbing here in CO. Plus unless I de-restrict I think with a 36 I'll just hit my limit faster anyway.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Nice. Good to know you can run 36 with some modification. I'll try 34 for now and see how it goes. I want to split the difference I think so that I can still spin pretty low if I'm in a low assist and trying to maximize battery life. It's not uncommon for me to do a 50 mile ride with near 5k feet of climbing here in CO. Plus unless I de-restrict I think with a 36 I'll just hit my limit faster anyway.

Cadence is essential also for battery life with Brose. Around 76-85 is pretty optimal, i think.

Talmiz

Sep 16, 2021
Israel
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894
I know this old thread, but where did you bought those bolts ? Are they aluminum ?
Thanks

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Anyone replaced the stock chainring with a 36t or 38t? If so what chainring did you get and how is it performing?

I know the stock 32t Praxis chainring is steel and I can only see alloy chainrings available for sale, also I have read you have to remove the chain guide in order to run a 38t chainring, which obviously could be problematic.

Any guidance much appreciated.
been running an alloy Hope 36T chain ring for 1000 miles on my TL and still looks like new, so no worries on that front.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
How are you guys making out with the 36T on the Levos? I am about to change mine, but I noticed that the clearance between the 36 ring and the chainstay will be very small, and if I ever get chain suck it will be a damaging jam up. The 32 ring allows the chain to pass between it and the chainstay without damage.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
How are you guys making out with the 36T on the Levos? I am about to change mine, but I noticed that the clearance between the 36 ring and the chainstay will be very small, and if I ever get chain suck it will be a damaging jam up. The 32 ring allows the chain to pass between it and the chainstay without damage.

it can be wrenched through the gap , however it wrecks the paint.

Better than your legs spinning like crazy in top gear though.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
it can be wrenched through the gap , however it wrecks the paint.

Better than your legs spinning like crazy in top gear though.
Thanks. I’ve never had chain suck on this bike, eventually it happens on all of my bikes in the worst possible place. . . Maybe time to make a little lower block between the chainstay and the sprocket to ensure it can never happen. Here is a beauty of a time for it. We carry links and tools on our rides but having to work with gloves off is priceless.

401D1755-8A39-4823-8123-EE210DA3994E.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles