Turbo Levo Chainring Replacement

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Not sure it matters to find a steel one because chainrings don't wear out that fast since they are so many teeth. And aluminum ones are very inexpensive so you can replace it for almost nothing if you need to. Under $14 USD for this:

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Seems like steel would be preference for long life chain drive components. See Aluminum stuff all the time in moto world looks trick but wears out quick. Wonder if a company like supersprox makes a sprockets for the best of both worlds, and looks trick.

Also, If you are going for any option besides the praxis 104BCD's, like a hope what is the model#/design type to identify the correct front sprocket match for 201-2020 levos?

lannyscycle

Sep 6, 2019
usa
Not sure it matters to find a steel one because chainrings don't wear out that fast since they are so many teeth. And aluminum ones are very inexpensive so you can replace it for almost nothing if you need to. Under $14 USD for this:

i have orderd one . can i use the stock bolts and nuts with this sprocket ?

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
The original chainring on the 2018 levo had threaded inserts, whereas the replacement alloy ones need the retaining nuts on the rear, I wouldn't have thought specialized would have altered that on the 2019-2020

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
These are the ones I used and fitted perfectly

Screenshot_20190907-220438_eBay.jpg

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I just put these on and the fit is good. I didn't have to remove the crank arm. But, I am not sure how to make the chain guard work. I can't find a position for it that looks reasonable. Do I just skip the chain guard, or do I design and 3D print one that will fit?

Amazon B07R32WRPV

Amazon B075DGJLS2

chrisdut

Aug 21, 2019
Chester
I just put these on and the fit is good. I didn't have to remove the crank arm. But, I am not sure how to make the chain guard work. I can't find a position for it that looks reasonable. Do I just skip the chain guard, or do I design and 3D print one that will fit?

Amazon B07R32WRPV

Amazon B075DGJLS2

I can't get it to fit either, so removed.

If you can 3D print one, you might have an order from me ;)

AZ-Levo

Sep 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
hi, what size do I need ?

Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894

Nickdv

Mar 21, 2020
Belgium
As an update, so glad I went with a bigger ring, I am spending much more time in the middle range of gears now, only using the lowest gears for transits along fire roads between trails. At the other end of the range, still not really using the highest gear for anything but the steepest climbs. I haven’t changed the chain, it’s still got the original on it, as I am not using the highest gear very often I don’t see the point and I thought it was a little slack with the 32t ring out the shop. It is going back in for its free service and a tubeless setup so will get the shops opinion.

Reference your earlier post, you don’t need a special tool to hold the bolt nut, just use a small flat screwdriver to hold the nut in place from the side whilst you tighten the bolt. It is obvious when you start working in the area, but there is a bit more room to access behind the chainring between 7-8 o’clock position, where the motor housing is recessed slightly more. In this position you can put in the bolts, stuck to a bit of tape if you have fat fingers like me, and get a screwdriver in to one of the groves on the back of the bolt to hold it in place to tighten it up.

Just not sure about those bolts now, I thought they were going to match frame colour, but they are more like purple!

Where did you buy the bolts any link online?

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894
thanks for your post. I have ordered one for my tlevo.

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
I just ordered a 34T chainring for my Kenevo directly from praxis, their website has the steel chainrings specifically for eMTB, and they are threaded so install should be as easy as the stock 32T part. They have 32T, 34T & 36T available, 25$.

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
With the threads on the ring, install was a snap,took about 5 mins. new ring runs nice and smooth, and dropped my typical cruising cadence down from ~80 to ~75 rpm.
a 36 tooth would be even better, but as you can see from the photo, chainstay clearance on a 2019 Kenevo just isn't there.
anyway, for $25 i'm very happy with it as an 'upgrade'

IMG_4620.jpg

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I bought this one in green and used it all summer so far happy with the performance. I don't out peddle my bike as much on pavement. I did have a issue with the two bolts coming loose during a ride. So after you install these keep doing nut checks. Locktite might help.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Hi Andy,

I'm also considering placement of a 36T (Praxis)
But shop says they called Specialized and they said that the motor has been tuned for a 32T and they do not recommend replacing it with a 36T. Shop also said that battery will be empty faster when riding on the smallest rear cog of the 36T.
Are you still pleased with the 36T ? Is the brose still behaving the same and is 'character" of the bike still the same ? Any disadvantages ?

Kind Regards

That would the answer of someone that really doesn't have a clue what you are asking them. I'm sure others will chime in, but running a 36t since week 2, and yes the bike's behavior is much better than it was before imo.

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
That would the answer of someone that really doesn't have a clue what you are asking them. I'm sure others will chime in, but running a 36t since week 2, and yes the bike's behavior is much better than it was before imo.
I have had my 36T for 7 months now and dont know how I survived without it. recently I took my Levo to LBS for a repair. The tech said he had 4 of them in at the same time and test rode them all and loved the way the 36T performed. You end up using more gears with it for some reason. Just nut check the chain ring bolts as mine came loose 2 weeks later. Also the Levo manual clearly states that 36T is supported but you may have to remove the chain guide. LBS had to remove mine as it rubs. Motor efficiency is a function of cadence. Id find another bike shop or talk to someone else.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
About same.....running Praxxis 36T ring for about 8-9 months. Works great for me.
Keeps me off the smaller sprockets a lot more.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
I just ordered two of the 34 tooth Praxis ones.

One is for my 2019 Kenevo which I know is as big as I can go on that bike with the chainstay.

The other is for my 2020 Levo because it needs replaced now at around 2k miles. BUT, I'm wondering if I should have gone 36 for the Levo? Thoughts? Anyone with 34 and happy? I do a lot of big climbs and even with the 32 I do sometimes get into the biggest / lowest in the rear when I'm running in a low assist mode or trying to save battery for a long ride so felt maybe 34 was a good compromise rather than going all the way to 36? LMK if any of you are running and happy with the 34?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I just ordered two of the 34 tooth Praxis ones.

One is for my 2019 Kenevo which I know is as big as I can go on that bike with the chainstay.

The other is for my 2020 Levo because it needs replaced now at around 2k miles. BUT, I'm wondering if I should have gone 36 for the Levo? Thoughts? Anyone with 34 and happy? I do a lot of big climbs and even with the 32 I do sometimes get into the biggest / lowest in the rear when I'm running in a low assist mode or trying to save battery for a long ride so felt maybe 34 was a good compromise rather than going all the way to 36? LMK if any of you are running and happy with the 34?
I have 34t Praxis my Levo and i'm very happy with it. 36t wont fit in the chainguide.

Reactions: GL1

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles