Turbo Levo Chainring Replacement

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
2 less teeth at the rear results in more speed than 2 more teeth at the front. At 80rpm its 44km/h to 39km/h. means, changing the cassette has more speed effect, but is more expensive.
@Mike Smith 10-36 is faster than 11-38.

E636C469-A582-4851-998D-F2B03838B4AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
This is interesting ....
"According to SRAM, the reason the company opted not to go smaller than a 10t cog was due to a shuddering sensation that occurs when pedaling such a small cog under load. As cog size decreases, the rotation of the links on a chain increases exponentially, which causes what SRAM’s engineers dubbed the “polygon effect” — a feeling that the chain is going from slack to taut, resulting from variations in speed as the chain transitions from one tooth on the cog to the next. " :eek:

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
This is interesting ....
"According to SRAM, the reason the company opted not to go smaller than a 10t cog was due to a shuddering sensation that occurs when pedaling such a small cog under load. As cog size decreases, the rotation of the links on a chain increases exponentially, which causes what SRAM’s engineers dubbed the “polygon effect” — a feeling that the chain is going from slack to taut, resulting from variations in speed as the chain transitions from one tooth on the cog to the next. " :eek:
Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Are any of these 36T replacement chainrings made from steel? I'm wanting to go for a really strong chainring - I'd prefer a steel one if possible, but I'm having a fair bit of trouble finding one to suit. There is a Surly 104 BCD option, but apparently it's best suited for single speeds?

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Are any of these 36T replacement chainrings made from steel? I'm wanting to go for a really strong chainring - I'd prefer a steel one if possible, but I'm having a fair bit of trouble finding one to suit. There is a Surly 104 BCD option, but apparently it's best suited for single speeds?

Specialized specifically recommend Hope chainrings, but honestly i think any quality single/DH ring will do. Just keep an eye on your chain stretch, buy a measuring tool, if you clean and change your chain regularly, you'll never wear out your sprockets :)

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Specialized specifically recommend Hope chainrings, but honestly i think any quality single/DH ring will do. Just keep an eye on your chain stretch, buy a measuring tool, if you clean and change your chain regularly, you'll never wear out your sprockets :)

Ah well, considering I can't find a good steel chainring, and yep - you're right - I'm onto my chain checking and I'm replacing somewhere in between 0.75 and 0.5 stretch, I should be OK with an alloy chainring.

I'm considering a Wolf Tooth 36T Elliptical : Wolf Tooth 104 BCD Elliptical Drop-Stop Chainring I wonder if running an elliptcial will be nice with an EMTB?

Rick

Aug 10, 2018
Italy
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894
Hey Andy, I bought the same chain ring. I was wondering how the wear on the aluminium is working out for you. I have done about 300 kliks so far and have really just taken the color off the teeth.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides.

I think it’s easier just to remove crank, one bolt? No hassle fitting a new bolts, no tape.

sdelen

Sep 30, 2018
belgium
Fitted a Blackspire Snaggletooth 36t chainring today, no need to remove the crank and spider, only the drive side pedal. A bit of a fiddle fitting the bolts, a found rolled up bit of sticky tape helps to hold the ‘nut’ in position underneath the crank spider when putting in the bolts. I’ll update later after a few rides. View attachment 1894
Hi Andy,

I'm also considering placement of a 36T (Praxis)
But shop says they called Specialized and they said that the motor has been tuned for a 32T and they do not recommend replacing it with a 36T. Shop also said that battery will be empty faster when riding on the smallest rear cog of the 36T.
Are you still pleased with the 36T ? Is the brose still behaving the same and is 'character" of the bike still the same ? Any disadvantages ?

Kind Regards

Peebee01

Jul 9, 2018
Netherlands
I did the same replacement and for me the 36T feels much better. Previously I was too often in the smallest 2 rear cogs. Now it's a bit more distributed across all 10 gears.

Using 36T would increase speed and thereby resistance which would lead to the battery draining faster. But in practice I haven't noticed any difference.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
ideally Praxis steel as OEM but unfortunately they only do the stock 32T, I went down the Praxis line though in Alloy.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Next modification for me, was running a 34t on my trail bike so a 32t just isn't cutting it. Is there any funny fitments or BCD on the chain ring for fitment to a Levo?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Cheers for that.

I've never had a chain guide on a bike before, not needed to with a clutch mech and narrow wide chain ring.

I quite fancy the rental ultralight which isn't narrow wide, do you think chain retention with just a guide would be enough?

MylesKenevo

Jan 17, 2019
Hagley, Worcestershire
Just done my first ride out with the stock ring and found I was out pedalling so think I'll move up to 34T, as you have found I can only source Alloy ones, also the stock steel one has threaded inserts so you'll need chainring bolts which also means the spider has to be removed ! The chain guide is slotted which will allow some tolerance on different sizes.
How do you get the spider off? i have used bb key tool to remove the locking nut but cant seem to release the spider...??

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I noticed today that all 4 chain ring bolts were loose.

What's the trick for tightening them up as you can't get a screwdriver in the back to hold the bolt?

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
Nice work @AndyActual. So you simply remove the pedal, then chainring bolts to take off the existing Praxis ring then pop the new one on? That sounds much simpler than I expected!
Hi Rob, I see in your latest video about the Levo you have a 36T chainwheel fitted, how do you find this? I have just put some shorter 150 mm Miranda Kappa 0 cranks on but not been out yet, so will report back on those. What length cranks are you now using on your Levo?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles