Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Looks like they may be out of stock? Might be a matter of seeing who actually has some in stock. I seem to remember looking around overseas & finding the availibility tricky & the difference in price to be negliable when compared to a labour day / christmas sale at EVO.
I'd recommend doing the seals as well. I found the upgrade amazing however this was befpre zebs & 38s came out so there suddeny a lot more new 2nd hand forks on the market. They may actually be a cheaper option?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
3E15431B-6A91-450D-A248-FEBE0A433E7A.jpeg

Zebs fitted, new tyres on! Just got to gather the courage to fit my XT brakes!!! Getting there

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
No not specifically, I use mine as a chain stay protector, nice n thin fits nicely behind the chainring. I got 5 of them, as you can see in the photo i cut another up an placed it next to the complete one, and i put the rest of the cut up one behind the chain device. View attachment 75884

That was rather clever! Trying to come up with the best solution to protect that area. Not to happy with the design choice Trek took here.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
That was rather clever! Trying to come up with the best solution to protect that area. Not to happy with the design choice Trek took here.
Agreed, there are a few areas on the bike that could/should be better, I use quite a bit of electrical tape on mine, around the charging point and battery cover, and keyhole and also an inch each side of the kiox, I call the bike The Tapir, for obvious reasons! Very good bike tho, handles v well.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
No not specifically, I use mine as a chain stay protector, nice n thin fits nicely behind the chainring. I got 5 of them, as you can see in the photo i cut another up an placed it next to the complete one, and i put the rest of the cut up one behind the chain device. View attachment 75884
It is still a Head tube badge, as that's what Absolute Black created it as... you just repurposed it which is good. I thought of doing the same thing when I first got my Rail. I got one with every Oval chainring I bought from them....I had a ton of them but I may have tossed them out. I decided against using them as it looked to DIY for my taste.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
It is still a Head tube badge, as that's what Absolute Black created it as... you just repurposed it which is good. I thought of doing the same thing when I first got my Rail. I got one with every Oval chainring I bought from them....I had a ton of them but I may have tossed them out. I decided against using them as it looked to DIY for my taste.
Hello, I had a couple previously from when I had oval on my other bikes, I genuinely thought they were chainstay protectors, so that's what I did. Not too fussed on the look, as it does and has worked.

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Rail 9 2021

How good is this bike! I can’t believe how much I enjoy riding it.

I‘ve upgraded the following…

e-Wild tyres
sram AXS GX derailleur
ergon grips
extra hub pawls for 108t hub
kmc e12 chain

Last edited:

IanCran76

Apr 11, 2022
Derbyshire
IMG-3159.jpg

Ok so I have had a go at listing my upgrades

2022 Trek Rail 5 Large

RockShox Zeb 170mm
Fast Fenix Enduro Shock 650lb Spring
Race Face Turbike R Stem 35mm
Race Face Sixc Carbon Bars 35mm Clamp 35mm Rise 800mm Wide
Hope Fortus 30 Wheelset
Sram GX Eagle AXS
Wolf Tooth Seatpost Clamp
Lizard Skin Charger Grips
Wolf Tooth Remore Light Action Dropper Lever
WTB Pure Saddle
One Up 180mm Dropper Post
Race Face Bosch Chainring
Shimano XT M8100 Brakes
Shimano Saint Pedals
Galfer 223 Rotors Front/Rear
Maxxis Assegai 2.5 DH Casing Front/Rear
Race Face Affect R E-Bike Crank Arms
Fidlock 450ml Bottle
Mudhubber Evo Front Mudguard
Rockstop Frame Guard
Rear Mud Guard
Rock Stop Tyre Insert Rear
Burgtec Axles Front/Rear

I think Frame/Battery & Motor are the only stock things :oops:

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I love these 'Justifying the money I've just spent ' threads :D

My upgrades such as they are are
Hope Pro4/Pro5 fortus 30 wheels(mullet)
Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes(203)
(Other unspeakable things. Can't tell you, or people will be 'You Fitted WHAT??!!)

Still kicking myself for not picking up one of those cheap Fox38's :( Im sure they' come round agaain

Last edited:

IanB-UK

Sep 9, 2021
Sussex
Wow… just come across this thread and read through it. The upgrades are off the scale, I have a Trek Rail 5 that I am having trouble enjoying right now let alone spending thousands on upgrades! I’ve replaced the handlebars for 40mm FatFace riser bars, swapped the stock brakes for Magura MT5s and that’s about it!

The upgrades I’d love to do are:
Shimano drivetrain as I dislike the cheap SRAM gear that came on it
New saddle and dropper
1x 10 conversion
New wheelset
A better front fork

Probably totals the cost of a decent full suspension bike!

Enjoyed reading through and seeing all your bikes, they look awesome ☺️

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I try to only replace things as they break/wear out or they are good value functional improvements.
My bargain 7 has a bargain Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheel set to replace the demolished Bontragers. Charger 2.1 damper and 170mm air spring to make the Yari work. OneUp 200mm post, 38mm carbon riser and 35mm stem to fix the low stack height. Ergon GE1 sticky grips and Fabric saddle for comfort. Nukeproof chain guide to replace broken e13. Magic Mary and Big Betty 2.6 rubber.
DD53AA29-79DE-42D8-A7F9-7E5FB11B5B61.jpeg

Last edited:

IanB-UK

Sep 9, 2021
Sussex
Having spent some time on this forum over the last couple days, I was blown away by the upgrades people have done to their Trek and also how long people had owned some of them and are still enjoying it!

I decided to sort mine out. As well as the main pivot work that’s due to be done, I’ve also ordered a Deore rear mech, Deore cassette, HG chain and an XT shifter. I really dislike the cheap SRAM gear that came on the bike so I’m looking forward to replacing it. I’ll do the chain ring and crank arms next!

Thanks for the inspiration ( poor wallet!)

IanCran76

Apr 11, 2022
Derbyshire
Having spent some time on this forum over the last couple days, I was blown away by the upgrades people have done to their Trek and also how long people had owned some of them and are still enjoying it!

I decided to sort mine out. As well as the main pivot work that’s due to be done, I’ve also ordered a Deore rear mech, Deore cassette, HG chain and an XT shifter. I really dislike the cheap SRAM gear that came on the bike so I’m looking forward to replacing it. I’ll do the chain ring and crank arms next!

Thanks for the inspiration ( poor wallet!)
Yeah the wallet does take a spanking at times mate :ROFLMAO:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
2022 Rail 5 (Large)

ZEB Ultimate forks (A2) 160mm
Trutune eMTB fork insert
Ohlins TTX22m.2 shock+525 spring
SQlab 30X 12° carbon bars
Hunt Trail Wide V2 wheels
Maxxis Assegai Maxxgrip DD x 2
Shimano brake levers MT501 left, M6100 right
Shimano M6120 calipers
Swissstop Catalyst Pro 220mm rotors
SQlab 6OX Ergowave Active 2.1 saddle
One-up V2 180 dropper post
Kiox upgrade from Purion
Acid Kiox display mount
Gusset S2 AM 40mm stem
Deity Tmac pedals
Sensus Lite grips
BBB ceramic pulleys
RRP fenders (Mudhugger rear when wet)
Protect Emtb Bash Guard
Wolftooth dropper post lever
Shimano XT shifter
Reverse Chainguide ISCG 05
Silca Mattone Grande seat pack

Edit: add upgrades

Last edited:

Gamer73

Jul 21, 2023
Norway
For my 2021 rail 5 i have these mods:

Bontrager Carbon rims. The least expensive of them.
Maxxis assegai front 2.5 and DHR2 2.4 rear
My good old fatbar handle bars. I think they are 780 wide and with a 30 or 35 mm rise.
Bontrager pro mtb grips. Mainly because they look good with the blueish Color.
Upgraded the front break disk since the stock one caused vibration.
Tannus armor with tube inside in the rear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles