Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I agree. Bosch has the worst display and least ergonomic controls. Very simple buttons like those of Shimano or Specialized, with the KIOX display. I would buy them right away.
Are there any companies that make them compatible?

Dont think so. Would buy if someone came up with a nice compatible control. I do however have a wrecked kiox control unit that i can take apart and see if I could make one myself.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
How you finding the DVO setup after riding it for a bit? Just been communicating with Jesse & really not sure about the lyric charger upgrade for $600 or a new Onyx for $1500. Do you find it a lot better than the lyric?
They're pretty good, not a drastic improvement, grip is better and the ott is great at making them feel coil like. If honest I liked the the Lyriks and have thought that doing the new airshaft and adding a token or 2 allowing lower air pressure would have them feeling very similar. New and shiney is my achilles heel haha.

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
I’m still contemplating mulleting my Rail but pedal/crank strikes concern me.
Has anyone used offset bushes to increase h/a and bb height before going mullet?
I think I’ll go this route with the flip chip high and 170mm forks.
Great fun fiddling isn’t it!?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’m still contemplating mulleting my Rail but pedal/crank strikes concern me.
Has anyone used offset bushes to increase h/a and bb height before going mullet?
Great fun fiddling isn’t it!?

I’m about to mullet mine, I’ve got a 170 fork on too. I often ride in very rocky areas so can’t have to too low, I’m currently running with the chip in low but when I go mullet I’ll try it in high, I’m hoping thediference won’t be too much.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's how I'm running mine at the moment. I'm going to try the low setting as pedal strikes aren't an issue for me.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No. Sorry, I didn't spot that I'd quoted your whole post rather than the bit about 170mm forks and MinoLink in High.

Lasse

May 22, 2020
Norway
Finally installed my cushcores. Watched a couple of installation vids & TBH took maybe ten minutes more than a tyre change. Took the bike for a ride & I def love them. I like running my tyres quite low & like the spongy feeling of low pressures. They sucked up all the small square edge bumps & rocks which over a long term will hopefully mean less-sore wrists & a more comfortable ride. That was my reason for installing them.
An added bonus was the handling of the bike around berms was greatly improved. I was actually quite surprised how different the bike felt at speed. Best of both worlds. I would recommend them
I am riding with Vittoria airliners. As you mention, the riding feels different. will not go back to ride without inserts. Have not tried cushcore yet ✌️

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ta. I was hoping it would be the same so I could swap it from my Yarik (or is it a Lyri? )to a Zeb if I ever get one.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
New set of Bontrager Carbon rims and new cassette. Fork and suspension just back from service. Feels better than new?

mrRobit

May 10, 2021
Slovakia
Latest updates, dt swiss hx1501's, maxxis dfr & dhf , xt rotors, and finally the kiox mount has arrived after 3 months

View attachment 42034
@Gazzaaitken (or anybody who has done it) How did you manage to attach the speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel's centerlock? I changed to DT Swiss wheel as well, but now struggling to find a way to attach the magnet as there are no screws now. Thank you!

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
New rear carbon wheel replacement. ?
Lasted 5 weeks before i destroyed the new wheel

I use Duke "luck jack" carbon rims (32mm internal).
I was cautious in the beginning. Then i installed a Tannus tubeless insert, and now can plow in the rocks without thinking about it.
I suggest you try some inserts.

Bike Gorilla

Jul 2, 2020
Linslade
@Gazzaaitken (or anybody who has done it) How did you manage to attach the speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel's centerlock? I changed to DT Swiss wheel as well, but now struggling to find a way to attach the magnet as there are no screws now. Thank you!
I used a magnet I got on Amazon and some araldite epoxy glue. Give it a try

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi Mr Robit

Used XT centerlock rotors (which have a hole in every spoke) then order a cateye wheel magnet. This

turn the black part the opposite way round and use some thread lock. Works like a dream never had any issues.
Buy a spare just to be safe, and put it in your riding kit. Takes 5 minutes

Job done

Last edited:

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Everything

BA84D77C-0D22-4E8F-AD5F-5A8255E8AA58.jpeg

Busterchops

May 10, 2021
Colorado
I bough a 2021 9.8. I have upgraded

Bontrager line pro 40 carbon wheels
Michelin enduro tyres running tubeless.
Magura MT7 pro brakes with 220mm floating router on the front with 200mm on the rear.
SRAM XO1 groupset (without cranks)
Magura brake/shifter single clamps
DMR death grip grips with red anodised clamps
DMR V12 Pedals

Out of all of these upgrades, the brakes have made the biggest difference .

View attachment 45736
Considering the carbon wheel upgrade? Your thoughts, worth it?

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
So far I have put OneUp 35 mm carbon bars on and the grips from my old bike (half waffle). I just ordered the pawls and springs to upgrade my free hub to the 108 tooth engagement (<$40). Had this on my Fuel EX and liked it. I noticed the difference on the rail with the coarser engagement. Also put some platform/SPD pedals.

pedals.JPG

OneUp Bars.jpg

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Which carbons did you get? Thinking about the upgrade but just researching the subject. Thanks.
What's your budget ? These Wheelworks wheels are awesome, expensive but lifetime warranty, you break them and they'll replace them. Perfect spoke tension out of the box and you can personalize them. Welcome to Wheelworks - Wheelworks
In my opinion , for longevity and easy service, you want DT Swiss hubs, I think the ratchet drive system is stronger than the pawl system, so it's good for eebs. The Bontrager carbon rims aren't bad, a bit too stiff, but the hubs aren't great, not well sealed and need regular servicing. I had broken springs in mine. The centres are bonded into place and the glue let go on mine halfway through a climb, and ruined my ride. Trek replaced the whole wheel for me but I didn't trust Bontrager wheels after that

Busterchops

May 10, 2021
Colorado
What's your budget ? These Wheelworks wheels are awesome, expensive but lifetime warranty, you break them and they'll replace them. Perfect spoke tension out of the box and you can personalize them. Welcome to Wheelworks - Wheelworks
In my opinion , for longevity and easy service, you want DT Swiss hubs, I think the ratchet drive system is stronger than the pawl system, so it's good for eebs. The Bontrager carbon rims aren't bad, a bit too stiff, but the hubs aren't great, not well sealed and need regular servicing. I had broken springs in mine. The centres are bonded into place and the glue let go on mine halfway through a climb, and ruined my ride. Trek replaced the whole wheel for me but I didn't trust Bontrager wheels after that
My budget it mostly dependent on just good overall value. My new bike has reenergized my passion for the sport as I've had some serious back injuries/surgeries as was having a tough time enjoying my rides. I haven't been on Carbon wheels before but certainly understand the concept of unsprung weight being important in any vehicle application. I am amazed at the large number of companies making carbon wheels and I have seen several recommendations for the wheelworks. Great info on the hubs. I was looking at the Bontragers but that is a serious issue and just having an unexplained derailleur failure I'm very sensitive to reliability since I take many back country rides with just my dogs. I'll check them out!

Phantomx0_1

Feb 22, 2021
Berkshire
Rail 9

Invisiframe
Eddy currents.
Sram AXS dropper
SRAM AXS GX upgrade.
Next carbon handlebar
Eargon GP3 grips
Saint SPD
Hope purple seat clamp and kiox holder
XT 4 pots to replace the sram shitters ( that pissed fluid all over the rear of the frame)
Muc off tubeless kit and valves.

Brakes and rear triangle replaced on warranty by Trek

Want a coil shock I think......

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
I've had my Rail 7 for over a year now.

Initially, I changed:
front tyre - Maxxis DHF (and went tubeless front and rear)
dropper post e*13
saddle Specialized
fork: Upgraded the Yri to a Lyrik with a charger 2.1 damper

Today, i received the hardware for the shock (thx @Offset). So I just replaced the RS Deluxe with a DVO Jade X coil with a Nukeproof spring. Starting with a 600lbs spring. Couldn't try it yet, will do that tomorrow!

IMG_20210514_171208.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles