Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
I set up a Fox DPX2 on my Rail 7. I weight 210lb and for a 30% sag,had to put 300 psi and I feel it too soft.

Anyone else in the same situation? Not sure if 300 psi is the max pressure accepted. Shock is 2020 version. Thanks

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I set up a Fox DPX2 on my Rail 7. I weight 210lb and for a 30% sag,had to put 300 psi and I feel it too soft.

Anyone else in the same situation? Not sure if 300 psi is the max pressure accepted. Shock is 2020 version. Thanks
Dont have a DPX2, but I would try bumping up to 25% sag and/or slowing the rebound down.

Here's what's in the Fox manual:

Additional tuning options Volume Spacers
Changing volume spacers in the shock is an internal adjustment that allows you to change the amount of mid stroke and bottom out resistance.
If you have set your sag correctly and are using full travel (bottoming out) too easily, then you could install a larger spacer to increase bottom out resistance.
If you have set your sag correctly and are not using full travel, then you could install a smaller spacer to decrease bottom out resistance.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Dont have a DPX2, but I would try bumping up to 25% sag and/or slowing the rebound down.

Here's what's in the Fox manual:

Additional tuning options Volume Spacers
Changing volume spacers in the shock is an internal adjustment that allows you to change the amount of mid stroke and bottom out resistance.
If you have set your sag correctly and are using full travel (bottoming out) too easily, then you could install a larger spacer to increase bottom out resistance.
If you have set your sag correctly and are not using full travel, then you could install a smaller spacer to decrease bottom out resistance.

Thanks. I think it’s a problem of first and mid stroke support,not bottoming out jumping mid size features. Can’t add more pressure,I am in 300psi and it’s the limit for my pump.
I’ll try with a bigger volume spacer,I thinks it affects final stroke but first and mid stroke too.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Thanks. I think it’s a problem of first and mid stroke support,not bottoming out jumping mid size features. Can’t add more pressure,I am in 300psi and it’s the limit for my pump.
I’ll try with a bigger volume spacer,I thinks it affects final stroke but first and mid stroke too.
Yes the volume will affected the overall feel from my experience, putting more volume spacer should drop the pressure needed in the shock and it will feel stiffer. If you close to max at weight, sounds like you would need the extra spacers. Also dont forget to equalize the positive and negative air pressure, from empty pump in 50lbs of air and then cycle teh shock a few times. Pump it again with 50lbs and cycle it again till you get to your desired sag setting.

Remember while setting the sag to reset the rebound and compression to open. After the sag is set, to closed the rebound and turn to
recommended settings and adjust from there.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Apart from that,really happy with the shock. Is what I was looking for. A plusher feeling but with enough support,similar to a X2 I run on other bikes
It’s way better than stock one and matchs really well with the Rail system. I wanted to try a coil,but I’ll give Fox DPX2 a try
Have to fine tuning it and play with pressure and tokens.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
First run with the progressive spring on my Jade X today. Seemed to work really well, but to be honest I wasn't unhappy with the linear rate spring I had on before.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Added a 230x65mm 21' Fox DHX2 to my Rail 7. Feels amazing and at this stroke....not to linear.
IMG_2017.jpg

Last edited:

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
First run with the progressive spring on my Jade X today. Seemed to work really well, but to be honest I wasn't unhappy with the linear rate spring I had on before.
I'm planning on fitting Jade X 's to our medium Rails but I'm undecided to go with the normal springs or pay more for the progressive ones...
Did you notice much improvement..?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's early days and I haven't hit anything big yet. I've had to back off how much I'm compressing into jumps and I need to have a play with the rebound damping.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I've also read somewhere that I can use the original mounting hardware from the Rockshox Deluxe on my Rail 5 too...?
To use the RS hardware on the Fox Shock, you have to remove the Fox Igus bushings and use the RS hardware including DU bushings.

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Quick one. I think it's already settled in the thread but will a Trek Rail size Large work with a 60mm stroke instead of 57.5 without any further modifications? And what would be the actual rear travel with 60mm stroke?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Quick one. I think it's already settled in the thread but will a Trek Rail size Large work with a 60mm stroke instead of 57.5 without any further modifications? And what would be the actual rear travel with 60mm stroke?
Mine is a 60 stroke as recommended by tftuned. No idea about the actual travel though.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
60mm stroke is 157mm travel. I run 60mm on my medium Rail and it's fine.

65mm stroke would be 171mm travel but you'd need to check for clearance around the rocker arm and set tube at full compression as well as checking the reservoir/downtube clearance too.

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
60mm stroke is 157mm travel. I run 60mm on my medium Rail and it's fine.

65mm stroke would be 171mm travel but you'd need to check for clearance around the rocker arm and set tube at full compression as well as checking the reservoir/downtube clearance too.

So basically 160/160, sounds awsome. Any known reasons Trek choose the 150 travel route? Or is the biken not "balanced" with the 157/160 setup?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Extra travel on the rear adds it at the end of the stroke so you'll only notice it on big hits.

I'm running 170 on the front.

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Extra travel on the rear adds it at the end of the stroke so you'll only notice it on big hits.

I'm running 170 on the front.

Yes of course, I just dont see any downside to the increased travel in the back. Thanks for clarification anyways! ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
65mm progressive or 69mm linear. Both Cane Creek.

The 65mm is only just long enough on the Jade X

magic82

Nov 18, 2020
italy
Hi guys, i have a doubt i bought a DHX2 shock with 500lbs of the spring. My total weight is 85kg and i changed the spring to 550lbs but i'm not sure that it is enough to avoid bottom out, can you help me? i' m open to receive your suggestions
Many thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles