Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

Railingit187

Feb 8, 2021
USA
Riding a Rail 9.7 in XL std shock Mount - is the linkage the same as the 9.8/9.9 so you're able to buy / switch the rear shock to the thru shaft Trunnion mount?
The linkage is the same. You need to get the proper boots for the trunnion mount and lower mount.

C0DE7B9F-B487-4DAC-99DF-5CF1975B01C9.png

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
Be interesting to hear your feedback. Is Jesse tuning it to your weight? I'd like to hear how it goes straight out of the box before you do anything to it.
Jesse sprung and tuned it for my weight, sag was spot on and I went out 1 click of rebound. So plush and so much grip, holds up really well. Lock out is locked out! Trail is actually really good but I just have been running it wide open with great success.

IMG_20210218_145530.jpg

IMG_20210219_082639_874.jpg

Railingit187

Feb 8, 2021
USA
Hey, yes that exact shock. Sorry for the late reply. Its has done maybe 10 hours tops, I know what they are retail but unsure what they go for used so open to offers. Send me a message if you like
Hey, yes that exact shock. Sorry for the late reply. Its has done maybe 10 hours tops, I know what they are retail but unsure what they go for used so open to offers. Send me a message if you like

I just followed your lead and got a Jade X with progressive spring.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Jesse sprung and tuned it for my weight, sag was spot on and I went out 1 click of rebound. So plush and so much grip, holds up really well. Lock out is locked out! Trail is actually really good but I just have been running it wide open with great success.
You mean wound right in then one click out? If so that's what I run mine at. I was really unhappy with mine and about to sell or swap it until I adjusted the reboud right in from where it was set. It rides like your described now apart from a few bottom outs which I can live with.
I can't help but wonder though, with 18 clicks of adjustment whether there's something not quite right with the rest of it if we are running them so damped?

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
You mean wound right in then one click out? If so that's what I run mine at. I was really unhappy with mine and about to sell or swap it until I adjusted the reboud right in from where it was set. It rides like your described now apart from a few bottom outs which I can live with.
I can't help but wonder though, with 18 clicks of adjustment whether there's something not quite right with the rest of it if we are running them so damped?
All suspension clickers should be wound all the way in and then counted out, I'm at 3 out from fully closed sometimes 4 out on the rebound. The stiffer the spring rate the more rebound you need to add to counter the force of the spring, most suspension circuits have the most effect with the first few clicks as the taper of the needle gets further away it has less restriction on the flow of oil. Just think of it like a garden tap.

If yours is fully closed you could maybe get a stiffer tune on the rebound circuit, a few bottom outs I wouldn't worry about unless they are very violent, you should recheck your sag just to make sure you have the correct spring, or maybe try a progressive spring.
Also don't be afraid to ride it in trail mode.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Is there a reason hardly anyone has opted for the Ohlins TTX 22 like Stan has? I know Ohlins aren't cheap so is it best bang for buck type thing? I like the idea of the Ohlins purely down to the amount of space it takes up. I have a custom bag being made and I have designed it around the current shock on the bike and I think the TTX 22 seems to not stick out as much but the angle of Stan's photo could be hiding it slightly.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Purely cost for me. The Jade X is about £200 cheaper.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Is there a reason hardly anyone has opted for the Ohlins TTX 22 like Stan has? I know Ohlins aren't cheap so is it best bang for buck type thing? I like the idea of the Ohlins purely down to the amount of space it takes up. I have a custom bag being made and I have designed it around the current shock on the bike and I think the TTX 22 seems to not stick out as much but the angle of Stan's photo could be hiding it slightly.
I have the ttx 22 and love it. I spoke with someone at tftuned and they said a fewof them ran the ohlins on Rails so that swung it for me.
Plenty of room with a large frame, if I remember tomorrow I can get a side on photo for you.

Reactions: j_s

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Finally got my DVO JadeX (230mm x 57.5mm) fitted to a 2020 Rail 9.7 (medium), after a few months of waiting. Originally wanted a Topaz3, but the piggy back was too long and didn't allow for full travel of the shock. The JadeX fits great on the medium Rail, with the original mounting hardware, though I needed to face the rebound knob towards the back. Now I just need to ride it.

JadeX Coil, fitted with DU Bushing, so it can be mounted using the original hardware.
IMG_7555.jpg

JadeX, Rock Shox Deluxe Select+
IMG_7557.JPG

Rebound knob needs to faced towards the back.
IMG_7559.JPG

The shock clears fully compressed.
IMG_7560.JPG

The only clearance issue I will is if ever want to flip the compression switch up, it will hit the bottom of the water bottle.
IMG_7563.JPG

IMG_7561.jpg
IMG_7567.jpg

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Has anyone tried a Fox DHX2 230x65 on a L size? Not sure if it fits. Thanks
Looks like someone has. The stroke doesnt matter, since that can be limited (to the required stroke of 57.5mm) with spacer or larger bumpers.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
You can limit travel fair more easily than a full rebuild - just do what Ohlins/PUSH/Ext do & put a plastic travel spacer under the bump stop.

You can buy nylon washers with the ride ID/OD on eBay/Amazon in various thicknesses - just pick what you want to run whatever travel you like.

FWIW I run a Push shock on mine. A 65mm stroke has clearance & takes it to ~170mm rear travel.
Did you prefer the push over the ext, What worked better for you ?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Did you prefer the push over the ext, What worked better for you ?

The EXT was a pain as it needed to be custom built to clear the downtube, the Push went straight on, but the whole two circuits thing was mostly pointless on an Eeb, I just run the shock fully open, all the time.

Damping between the two was comparable, but personally I feel the Rail lends itself better to air shocks as it's not progressive enough for faster riders.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
The EXT was a pain as it needed to be custom built to clear the downtube, the Push went straight on, but the whole two circuits thing was mostly pointless on an Eeb, I just run the shock fully open, all the time.

Damping between the two was comparable, but personally I feel the Rail lends itself better to air shocks as it's not progressive enough for faster riders.
Thanks, was wondering this also, I went up to a 700 spring trying to make a dhx2 work on my levo, gave up and fitted an x2.... I like the handling on the rail but the shock not keeping up with me, Any thoughts on ohlins new ttx air, what are you now running ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I saw that you had L-size frame and had some issues regarding the EXT total travel. What would you think that could happen if/when fitting 230 x 57,5 ETX Storia to XL frame? Same issues?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I love the coil, it just works everywhere. I put an ohlins coil on my previous Levo and it was exactly the same. Not as much adjustment as other shocks but it seems almost Impossible to make it anything but a great feeling.
Best thing I can say about it is that you just forget all about it and it just sorts everything out. I keep reading about the Rail’s lack of progression etc but I spoke to Tftuned and 3 of the lads there run ohlins coils on Rails.
I’m by no means an expert though?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles