Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Hi guys, i have a doubt i bought a DHX2 shock with 500lbs of the spring. My total weight is 85kg and i changed the spring to 550lbs but i'm not sure that it is enough to avoid bottom out, can you help me? i' m open to receive your suggestions
Many thanks
Slide the bottom out bumper up to the top of the shaft then use it to test ur sag. What stroke is ur shock?

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Hi guys, i have a doubt i bought a DHX2 shock with 500lbs of the spring. My total weight is 85kg and i changed the spring to 550lbs but i'm not sure that it is enough to avoid bottom out, can you help me? i' m open to receive your suggestions
Many thanks

Here you are:
IMG_0415.png

magic82

Nov 18, 2020
italy
Slide the bottom out bumper up to the top of the shaft then use it to test ur sag. What stroke is ur shock?
Hi, my shock is 230x57.5, for the spring I used the Fox spring calculator, the SAG is about 27%. the bumper gets to the bottom.

runjhike

Oct 17, 2019
Virginia
Anyone know where to get the Trek lower shock bolt #599900? I just got an Ohlins coil and all I’m missing is the lower bolt. My Trek LBS says mid June. That’s a crazy wait. Aftermarket? Used? Anything?

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
It's early days and I haven't hit anything big yet. I've had to back off how much I'm compressing into jumps and I need to have a play with the rebound damping.
Just fitted the Jade X to mine, 230 x 60, with the 400lb spring that came with it, it's bit soft I think. Which make progressive coil did you go with and what size did you go for.? I don't mean spring rate.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just fitted the Jade X to mine, 230 x 60, with the 400lb spring that came with it, it's bit soft I think. Which make progressive coil did you go with and what size did you go for.? I don't mean spring rate.
Cane Creek Progressive. 65mm. Swinnerton Cycles have the best price at the moment.

Why did you get a spring with the shock, was it part of a package?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Or do you just like tinkering like I do...
This.

Today was spent rebuilding my freehub after it self destructed at FoD yesterday...
Have you decided yet, whether it was a worthy upgrade from a linear spring..?
Not yet, but I suspect it'll be staying on.

What do you weigh? I have a 550lb linear spring to sell.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Shame. I don't suppose you want to buy some pies as well? :ROFLMAO:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
TFT's Spring Calculator says 400lb is ballpark for your weight, have you checked the sag or are you going off feel?

GlassKnee

Aug 30, 2020
New Zealand
Is anyone able to confirm if a Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil will fit my Large Trek Rail 7? My LBS can’t confirm it and they don’t have a stock to try. Cheers!

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Is anyone able to confirm if a Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil will fit my Large Trek Rail 7? My LBS can’t confirm it and they don’t have a stock to try. Cheers!
I've seen it been posted before that the Resi on the SD coil hits the frame but i'm not sure if i've seen pics. Good luck, I have one on my Evil Wreckoning V3 and love it

Last edited:

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
I have a trek rail 9.7 in medium and wanted to swap the shock out with a Fox float X2. Is it a straight swap or do I need to buy any additional hardware?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Hello Rob,
Did you manage to increase RS Deluxe stroke to ~62mm along with 170mm ZEB upgrade ?
How does it feels? :) recommended ?
Cheers
I did, works just fine, although on my medium I need to run the minolink in high to get clearance at bottom out. It's not a problem as the extra sag and 170mm forks offset it slightly. I'm running the sag O ring at about 33% and it feels great.

NETTA17

Jun 24, 2020
Israel
Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Is it easy to change the shock internals (I have some knowledge ....)
Any tip for it?
Cheers,

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Is it easy to change the shock internals (I have some knowledge ....)
Any tip for it?
Cheers,
You don't need to change the internals, just remove the air can (you'll need a thin spanner to get the yoke off) and CAREFULLY cut off the blue spacer on the damper shaft. Remember your sag gradients will now be off, so lower your air pressure accordingly.
IMG_20210205_152640.jpg

Last edited:

Freedomflier

May 11, 2021
Kansas City
ZDENNY55 i love the 205-230 yoke extension! there has to be a market for these!! I would pay good money for one! I have a 205X60 Push Shock for my Kona Process that i was thinking of selling, but if i had an extension, i that would be awesome! AND.. this allow you to rotate the bottom of the shock 90 degrees, so you can have better access to the Rebound adjustment clicker!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles