Other Trek Rail Progressive or linear coil

Progressive or Linear coil on trek rail

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I know and its yet another Coil thread but im having difficulty with the Linear vs Progressive on the Rail

Is the Rail good with a standard spring or is a Progressive required for the Rails leverage ratio or lack of 18% i think from what ive read

Because from all i have read on here there so many different views i was wandering what the majority vote is

So a little poll on this which might help clear this up a bit or make things worse :)

Any comments on type of riding would be great too

So who uses what and why

Thanks All

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Well after the Barrage of replies :) i decided to get in touch with tf tuned and they said theres no point with a progressive spring as the rail will operate nicely without one
I did ask them again if there was any circumstance a progressive spring maybe an advantage on the rail and they were adamant no .

Just in case anyone else was wandering thats what they told me today (y)

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I got this from tftuned. I’ve been very impressed with it so far.

rode up at FoD on Sunday, which is very Rooty. The rear end felt great. It’s still not 100% dialled in, the LSC was quite open, but so much better than the air shock.

DFD73C76-8199-450D-A049-6A6B1A077779.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've run both linear and progressive on my Rail and it was better on the progressive.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
It’s pretty simple. Was the bike designed for air shock or coil? If coil then linear should be right. If air then don’t even go coil unless you ride Chill trails.
Bike Parks and aggressive trails mainly
The Rail doesnt come with a coil but so many on here are running them and i have run them on many bikes before hence wanting to fit the Rail with one
I also have seen a few Dual Crowns on here fitted to Rails it doesnt mean that there a rubbish ride and they 100% are not fitted with them from stock

Just after some input from those using them really .

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
If the leverage ratio is really 18% then it’s for sure not enough for what I ride To run a coil. Also many people on this forum run coils and are fine doing mostly seated riding or trails generally good for an all mountian bike. You usually need 2x that for a coil or you’ll just need to over spring the bike until you’ve completely lost any benefit of a coil.
Taken on board
Thanks (y)

Jan 7, 2021
Greece
Hello,

I had try Fox X2, Fox DHX2 2019 and Fox DHX2 2021. Now I run with Fox DHX2 2021 with canecreek 500-610lb (83kg ~28%sag) and last week I tried linear 525lb!

With progressive spring I feel litle hard at the midle of travel, after I try linear spring and the problem solved! Yesterday I tried again the progressive spring but I change the Low Speed Comprassion (+5 clicks to open) and I feel the same with linear spring at the midle of travel but with little more support at the end.

Now I am confused! But I think with right compresions settings you can have similar resaults.

Bonus link:

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
I have the 23 ultimate DH and had a 450-550 progressive msr. It was too spongy off the top. Put a 550lb linear on it and feels way better. I think that in combination with they hydro bottom out will work perfect.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles